Bedside safe for house with toddlers

While there are a limited number of possible combinations, I have never heard of or personally seen someone crack an unknown combination even using this list. Not saying it's not possible, I just haven't seen it myself.

That is one concern that led to a deadbolt/backup key option on these.

IMG_3531.JPG

I have that pictured safe less the key and its awesome. It pops up with a liftgate piston presenting the gun.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

V-line with a simplex lock. At the time the Ft Knox boxes were sold out everywhere so I was out of options as far as a good quality lock box. I have been satisfied so far and I think they go for slightly less than a Ft Knox. At the least it helps keep honest people honest and the kids hands off your stuff.

That's what the word "NO" is for, he is 13 months now and understands the word.

True, and I do say that when I am in the room with him, but I don't work from home and have to leave the house (and leave him here) sometimes. Even when I am in the next room I can't always know what he's doing.

Do you have outlet protectors? How about gates at the top or bottom of the steps? Isn't just saying no enough?

what are you guys bolting these too? is it just bolted to a nightstand? its almost why bother to bolt it to a piece of furniture that can be carried out of the house.

Are there holes on the bottom to bolt it down?

Review from HD

Nice efficient package. Well made, hefty and easy to use.
It's NOT silent and I noticed that I needed to oil many of the screws and joints as they rusted a little in storage. The buttons are fussy, press deliberately and practice opening regularly for your anticipated emergency. There's plenty of room for your weapon, some ammo, a spare mag or torch. It has 2 bolt holes in the bottom for fastening it down so it's not mobile. I think I'll put one in the car also.

what are you guys bolting these too? is it just bolted to a nightstand? its almost why bother to bolt it to a piece of furniture that can be carried out of the house.

Mine is bolted directly to our bed frame... if they want if that bad, they can have it.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

As I mentioned, mine is bolted to a heavy wood nightstand. This is to deter the typical druggie smash and grab artist, the ones that have a preplanned target list and move on to the next item on the list if there are any complications. These are not folks typically seen carrying whole pieces of furniture out of homes in daylight. The biometrics keeps my kids out, but overall if anyone wanted the gun in the safe, or my big safe for that matter, and was prepared to take the time to get it they would succeed.

Mine's bolted to the nightstand (that I've reinforced), and I've also got a thick steel security cable running through the bed frame.

Mine's bolted to the nightstand (that I've reinforced), and I've also got a thick steel security cable running through the bed frame.

Sounds good, but do you have the bedframe bolted to the wall to prevent them from walking off with it? [wink] [laugh2]

[Sorry but I just had to do it. Nothing personal, but this topic is keeping a TODDLER from getting to a gun, not prevent a pro house thief from arriving with tons of tools and time to dismantle your house to get the gun.]

People way over-think these things. A layered security system is best (locked gun, dog, monitored alarm system), but 99% of thieves want a quick in and out with less chance of being caught. Running out the door with a nightstand or bedframe is likely to attract the kind of attention they don't want. And arriving with a truckload of tools is also unlikely (and if they do, nothing short of a monitored by cell phone alarm system is going to keep them from emptying your house).

I don't know that I would even wake up if someone was in the house let alone get to my gun in time so quick deployment isn't the biggest for me. I sleep with a CPAP machine, wife sleeps with ear plugs. I can sleep through any kind of alarm, tv, children crying.... you name it lol.

Sounds good, but do you have the bedframe bolted to the wall to prevent them from walking off with it? [wink] [laugh2]

[Sorry but I just had to do it. Nothing personal, but this topic is keeping a TODDLER from getting to a gun, not prevent a pro house thief from arriving with tons of tools and time to dismantle your house to get the gun.]

People way over-think these things. A layered security system is best (locked gun, dog, monitored alarm system), but 99% of thieves want a quick in and out with less chance of being caught. Running out the door with a nightstand or bedframe is likely to attract the kind of attention they don't want. And arriving with a truckload of tools is also unlikely (and if they do, nothing short of a monitored by cell phone alarm system is going to keep them from emptying your house).

Yes, but there was a video going around about kids dropping a bunch of gun safes and getting them to open up (don't know that I believe the video but its another concern) so bolting it down to something big is a good idea for kids too...

Yes, but there was a video going around about kids dropping a bunch of gun safes and getting them to open up (don't know that I believe the video but its another concern) so bolting it down to something big is a good idea for kids too...

Here you go:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup and that sale price ended 12/24. I was in Costco yesterday and it was back up to $100.

I paid the Amazon price on Amazons.. :(. if you're looking for a quick access safe it works pretty good. As with most quick access/cabinets a theif with a screw driver or a switch blade should be able to pry it open quickly, but a child would have trouble accessing it without the key/code.

As with most quick access/cabinets a theif with a screw driver or a switch blade should be able to pry it open quickly, but a child would have trouble accessing it without the key/code.

Reliability and being sure and confident that your quick access safe opens every time you need it is something that no one is mentioning. Electronics usually fail with no warning. With mechanical locks such as the Simplex style used on handgun safes, they tend to be more reliable, durable and probably would last you a life time. Mechanical locks usually give you plenty of warning that they are not functioning properly and you can usually service them before they lock you out. If you do wear one out eventually, you can just buy a replacement lock. All electronic ones that I am aware of are disposable and replacement parts aren't available. Just something to consider when the $100 bargain looks good initially.

Back
Top Bottom