Bedside safe for house with toddlers

Nice!!!!

And evil.....

Nice and evil is good. Need enough tools to pass out to the family in a hurry. When they enter they'll be fight a squad and not just one person with a bunch of guns...lol

It's on my list. Wife already approved....lol

i'd change the door knob to one that locks and keep it locked when no one is in the room. that's gonna keep a toddler at bay. 22 bucks at ace hardware.

I went with a Vaultek (Vaulteksafe.com)

I did not go with the biometric model. It is heavy, well built, and has features like internal channels and blocks to prevent prying and shimming like I have seen on many. Decent key, and nice feature of an audit log, so you can see if someone has been tampering or messing with the safe. Had issues with my first one, they covered it, and has been flawless since. Long battery life, rechargeable, and bluetooth can tell you how much charge is left, so no guessing.

Most of these safes are little more than decorative lock boxes, but then again, I have been seeing people who can easily defeat most locks so you start realizing that these measures are more a deterrent than real security.

Gardall "concealed wall safe" model# WS1317-T-EK. It's a flush mount wall safe. Simply cut between two studs and slide safe in. 4 lag bolts into the studs on each side of safe, no ones stealing this thing. Key aswell a six number digital code. I've had mine 10 years now, love it. 3 little one here, no room for mistakes. I can be in it in around 3 seconds. 1/4" steel door and 3 1" steel locking bolts means it's going to take a whole hell of a lot more than a screwdriver and hammer to get in. This is a great safe and being behind the bedroom door means no one even knows it's there.

Last edited:
Gardall "concealed wall safe" model# WS1317-T-EK. It's a flush mount wall safe. Simply cut between two studs and slide safe in. 4 lag bolts into the studs on each side of safe, no ones stealing this thing. Key aswell a six number digital code. I've had mine 10 years now, love it. 3 little one here, no room for mistakes. I can be in it in around 3 seconds. 1/4" steel door and 3 1" steel locking bolts means it's going to take a whole hell of a lot more than a screwdriver and hammer to get in. This is a great safe and being behind the bedroom door means no one even knows it's there.

I like this too!!! But it seems my house has 24" on center studs. At least I think it does. Have to check in my closet and see.

I went with a Vaultek (Vaulteksafe.com)

I did not go with the biometric model. It is heavy, well built, and has features like internal channels and blocks to prevent prying and shimming like I have seen on many. Decent key, and nice feature of an audit log, so you can see if someone has been tampering or messing with the safe. Had issues with my first one, they covered it, and has been flawless since. Long battery life, rechargeable, and bluetooth can tell you how much charge is left, so no guessing.

Most of these safes are little more than decorative lock boxes, but then again, I have been seeing people who can easily defeat most locks so you start realizing that these measures are more a deterrent than real security.

Did you get the VT20??

i grilled vaultek on amazon about the battery when i was thinking about getting another pistol box...figured out that my power strip was malfunctioning on my dac sportsafe...plugged it directly into the wall and it's fine now...if i was gong to get another one i would go with this one...not many that have battery + ac power...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LY908Y...UTF8&colid=84KKI0KGQPJH&coliid=I2ZLFVF4XLQ3KJ

Last edited:
Repeats are not allowed, and a standard Simplex lock has 1082 possible combinations when normall used.

An undocumented feature is that each push of the button rotates the internal wheels two positions. If you push a button, or combination of buttons, halfway you can vastly increase the number of combinations, while making it harder to open in a hurry. I think you can re-use a button that has been pushed halfway by doing a later press to rotate it the other half position.

Repeats are not allowed, and a standard Simplex lock has 1082 possible combinations when normall used.

An undocumented feature is that each push of the button rotates the internal wheels two positions. If you push a button, or combination of buttons, halfway you can vastly increase the number of combinations, while making it harder to open in a hurry. I think you can re-use a button that has been pushed halfway by doing a later press to rotate it the other half position.

That uses fine motor skills, probably not a good idea.

i grilled vaultek on amazon about the battery when i was thinking about getting another pistol box...figured out that my power strip was malfunctioning on my dac sportsafe...plugged it directly into the wall and it's fine now...if i was gong to get another one i would go with this one...not many that have battery + ac power...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LY908Y...UTF8&colid=84KKI0KGQPJH&coliid=I2ZLFVF4XLQ3KJ

I see sentry also has a bio pistol safe as well. Good reviews but most don't trust them.

I see sentry also has a bio pistol safe as well. Good reviews but most don't trust them.

yea i wouldn't buy one if it was biometric + keyed only...since its bio + buttons + keyed it gives you 3 ways to get in so you can test it out and use the way you like best...i like options...plus has ac power and battery power with a free app to monitor it...i wouldn't buy one that didn't have both ac power and battery power...the ac plug on the vaultek is more to recharge it though but i would run it 24/7 plugged in

yea i wouldn't buy one if it was biometric + keyed only...since its bio + buttons + keyed it gives you 3 ways to get in so you can test it out and use the way you like best...i like options...plus has ac power and battery power with a free app to monitor it...i wouldn't buy one that didn't have both ac power and battery power...the ac plug is more to recharge it though but i would run it 24/7 plugged in so i didn't have to think about it as much

I purchased the biometric sentry safe and like it a lot. Gives me the three options and mine is quiet to open and close. Still waiting to officially use it but the fingerprints were easy to scan and worked the first time every time. Like I mentioned not officially using it since I have nothing to put in it yet so not sure how well it will hold up when I do use it. Got a good deal on amazon for 124 a few weeks back.

I purchased the biometric sentry safe and like it a lot. Gives me the three options and mine is quiet to open and close. Still waiting to officially use it but the fingerprints were easy to scan and worked the first time every time. Like I mentioned not officially using it since I have nothing to put in it yet so not sure how well it will hold up when I do use it. Got a good deal on amazon for 124 a few weeks back.

could just put your car keys or something you use regularly in it to test it out to see how you like it or just open and close it each day to test it out...does it have ac power?

Nice. Just battery power right?

$124.00 was a good price.

could just put your car keys or something you use regularly in it to test it out to see how you like it or just open and close it each day to test it out...does it have ac power?

Very true, I should do that to make sure it functions properly and get used to accessing in the dark and what not. No ac power just batteries.

if i wanted all mechanical i would go fort knox or vline brute...if i wanted powered i would go vaultek vt20i (haven't seen many that use ac power + battery power plus 3 different ways to access [minimum 1 mechanical - key + 1 electronic - buttons] the biometric is a bonus in this case, use it or don't)

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the point of a video made by the manufacturer of the safe, showing breaking in to the safe? Obviously they will make it seem super tough to get in to. Can't get more biased than that.

What's the point of a video made by the manufacturer of the safe, showing breaking in to the safe? Obviously they will make it seem super tough to get in to. Can't get more biased than that.

not sure where it states that the video is made by them but a user with 1 single video on his account plus the website plug in the beginning does seem suspect...you'd think he would do tests on other safes if he was a safe tester...either way these are quick access pistol boxes, not safes...basically for law compliance and to keep kinds out while maintaining somewhat quick access...so unless you have it mounted to a steel plate or concrete a thief could probably just remove it, walk away with it and break into at their leisure...

i remember reading a reddit of a rehabbed pro motorcycle thief that went on reddit to help people prevent getting their bikes stolen (really helpful stuff)...he basically said to look at all anti theft devices as time consumers...the more devices you have and the longer they take to defeat the better off you are cause a thief wants to be fast, quiet and efficient...if it's too much trouble they may pass or move on...but if they have time and don't have to worry about noise or being seen, they will typically get in

Figured I'd chime in that my Vline box is still going strong after a couple years of daily use. The size is nice too since it can accommodate about two pistols and at least one reload for each depending on what you have in it.

if i wanted all mechanical i would go fort knox or vline brute...if i wanted powered i would go vaultek vt20i (haven't seen many that use ac power + battery power plus 3 different ways to access [minimum 1 mechanical - key + 1 electronic - buttons] the biometric is a bonus in this case, use it or don't)

Can these be bolted down?

Last edited by a moderator:
It reminds me of the videos showing how pry and hammer proof a gun safe is, but never putting an abrasive cutoff wheel or torch to the box.

It is too hard to repeat the half pushes, especially under any duress and I would never advise someone to do that.

It is too hard to repeat the half pushes, especially under any duress and I would never advise someone to do that.
Probably why they are not mentioned in the instructions.

The Simplex lock is a classic. I remember taking a short factory seminar on them when a bunch of hacker friends and I got an invite to a locksmithing convention from the vendor we had ordered supplies from in college. I covered for my age and lack of experience by telling vendors I was "just an installation assistant".

Back
Top Bottom