• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bear Attack

Too bad he didn't have a 9mm.
Would’ve blown the lungs right out of him.
JB said so and he seems competent.
Except for walking, speaking, ascending stairs, staying awake, getting lost on stages, and observing laws, he’s on the ball. I mean he can creep out kids better than penny wise so that’s worth something.
Amiright???

Definitely wasn’t carrying an appropriate caliber. Bear spray is not a sufficient caliber.

Meanwhile the blurb down the bottom was rather funny.

“Earlier this month a woman was gored in the chest by a bison while vacationing in Yellowstone National Park. Her boyfriend later proposed to her in the hospital.”

That dude might wanna MGTOW thot.

Meanwhile the blurb down the bottom was rather funny.

“Earlier this month a woman was gored in the chest by a bison while vacationing in Yellowstone National Park. Her boyfriend later proposed to her in the hospital.”

That dude might wanna MGTOW thot.
He might want to rethink that one and choose a woman who’s IQ is higher than her shoe size.

June 1983 , Teton area campground, at dusk, the staff going around telling campers of the prior night bear attack death of someone in a tent, at said campground. It was too late/dark and too far out of the way campground to go for more miles to another spot, as I was on a bicycle. What are the chances of 2 nights in a row, all was fine.

Too bad he didn't have a 9mm.
Maybe he just... missed. Seems inconclusive about the wounds, but a bullet hole would be readily identifiable.

The bear was estimated to be an 8-year-old male weighing about 250 lbs. The animal had wounds on its chest, but officers were not sure if they had been inflicted by the sheep herder

"Officials ask that visitors carry and know how to use bear spray, and urged them to travel in groups and to avoid animal carcasses if spotted."

But it's okay to play with the cubs, right?

My guess he was not using the right Home Defence Ammo​

And no mention of what he shot it with

SUPERFORMANCE SHOTGUN AMMO 12 GAUGE 2-3/4" 300GR SABOT SLUG​

0 Reviews

12 Gauge 2-3/4" 300 gr Sabot Slug 5/Box
Brownells #
MFR #
UPC
$16.19

Injured bear on the loose and he's probably in a bad mood:

Justified shoot at least. Bear was worrying his livestock and threatened to attack him.

Got lucky the bear ran off instead of just getting more pissed off, though.

I wonder if that’s this same bear that was in Hingham a few weeks ago.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EdmU4neHQts

It's likely the same bear that's been seen in Hingham, Mansfield, Norton, Easton, .... (rinse / repeat). It's not afraid of people, so it's just wandering around.

Time was, they learned to be afraid of people. Now, all you hear is that you should go back inside and let whatever predator is roaming your neighborhood do whatever it likes and think itself to be top of the pyramid.

It's likely the same bear that's been seen in Hingham, Mansfield, Norton, Easton, .... (rinse / repeat). It's not afraid of people, so it's just wandering around.

Time was, they learned to be afraid of people. Now, all you hear is that you should go back inside and let whatever predator is roaming your neighborhood do whatever it likes and think itself to be top of the pyramid.
The one I saw in Norton was a lot slimmer, but just as tall.

The passage in 1996 of Ballot Question Number 1 which said in part..........

The proposed law would also prohibit the pursuit or hunting of bear or bobcat with the aid of a dog or dogs.

........shares more than a little responsibility for bears losing their fear of confrontations with people. When the ballot question was first brought up sports people warned that the prohibition against dogs running bears for training as well as hunting would lead to a noticeable increase in man/bear incidents, but the pro-question supporters laughed at that warning and disregarded it.

Well..........27 years later......here are a few images of what we deal with in our little part of the Back of Beyond on a regular basis:

1693097611235.png 1693097662831.png

1693097757671.png 1693097850290.png

The advice from the powers that be to just retreat into your house doesn't work for us because while the dog and the cat live inside the house, the horse is too tall to fit thru the slider on the back deck. We run 10,000 volts at low amperage in the electric fence which surrounds the paddock attached to the barn and keep an air horn, bear spray and a loaded magnum revolver accessible for those moments when calm, civilized discussion with Mr. Bruin doesn't seem to be resolving the situation in our favor.

I have read that when confronted with a bear interaction one is supposed to remember that bears have both a so-called false charge as well as a serious business charge. There was a list of what bear behavior indicators you are supposed to analyze to determine the degree of danger you are in at that particular moment. When I was charged by a black bear, I completely forgot what the academic article said to look for and tried to get out of the bear's way as quickly as I could....... all the while reminding myself that this animal considered me part of his food chain.......and not a very high part at that......

Many years ago, there was an argument in Alaska between people who thought that you should only hike in the wilderness carrying a sufficiently powerful weapon and those who said all you needed to do was attach these little silver bells to your pack and the noise the bells generated would alert the bears to the hiker's presence and thus avoid surprise encounters.

This advice gave rise to the joke how do you determine a good bear from a bad bear?

The answer was count the number of little silver bells in the bear's scat.

The passage in 1996 of Ballot Question Number 1 which said in part..........

The proposed law would also prohibit the pursuit or hunting of bear or bobcat with the aid of a dog or dogs.

........shares more than a little responsibility for bears losing their fear of confrontations with people. When the ballot question was first brought up sports people warned that the prohibition against dogs running bears for training as well as hunting would lead to a noticeable increase in man/bear incidents, but the pro-question supporters laughed at that warning and disregarded it.

Well..........27 years later......here are a few images of what we deal with in our little part of the Back of Beyond on a regular basis:

View attachment 789599View attachment 789605

View attachment 789608View attachment 789609

The advice from the powers that be to just retreat into your house doesn't work for us because while the dog and the cat live inside the house, the horse is too tall to fit thru the slider on the back deck. We run 10,000 volts at low amperage in the electric fence which surrounds the paddock attached to the barn and keep an air horn, bear spray and a loaded magnum revolver accessible for those moments when calm, civilized discussion with Mr. Bruin doesn't seem to be resolving the situation in our favor.

I have read that when confronted with a bear interaction one is supposed to remember that bears have both a so-called false charge as well as a serious business charge. There was a list of what bear behavior indicators you are supposed to analyze to determine the degree of danger you are in at that particular moment. When I was charged by a black bear, I completely forgot what the academic article said to look for and tried to get out of the bear's way as quickly as I could....... all the while reminding myself that this animal considered me part of his food chain.......and not a very high part at that......

Many years ago, there was an argument in Alaska between people who thought that you should only hike in the wilderness carrying a sufficiently powerful weapon and those who said all you needed to do was attach these little silver bells to your pack and the noise the bells generated would alert the bears to the hiker's presence and thus avoid surprise encounters.

This advice gave rise to the joke how do you determine a good bear from a bad bear?

The answer was count the number of little silver bells in the bear's scat.

I'd be using something like these, backed up by real slugs, to discourage visitations.

I'd be using something like these, backed up by real slugs, to discourage visitations.

I have seen.....so far..... 6 individual black bears shot in the stern quarters with 12-gauge rubber slugs, and they do in fact work remarkably well if your aim is reasonably accurate.........and you also happen to have access to a 12-gauge shotgun and the rubber slugs in the first place.

When I was charged by the bear, I only had my holstered GP100 revolver on my person and the speed of the bear and the close distance of the charge led me to conclude that my chance of getting an accurate shot off in the time that was available to me was not necessarily in my favor......... so I retreated as fast as I was able to under the circumstance.

My wife came home one day to find a bear in our yard, and she immediately grabbed the dog and whatever revolver that was readily to hand and chased it away.

This sort of nonsense never happened for the first 12 years that we lived out in the woods........but as soon as the law banned running bears with dogs it has been an ongoing state of reality for us.....and the aggravating thing is that it was completely avoidable if the snowflakes who voted for the passage of the question actually spent any real time out in the woods instead of sitting in their apartments watching reruns of Yogi The Bear.

That'll change if Yogi gets a hankering for unattended babies.

Or, you have idiots feeding the bear. That happened this summer in the next town over from us. Someone ratted the person out to the game warden who paid them a visit and told them to stop.

Now, this bear is busting into peoples chicken coops and isn't even afraid of someone firing a warning shot to scare it off.

Or, you have idiots feeding the bear. That happened this summer in the next town over from us. Someone ratted the person out to the game warden who paid them a visit and told them to stop.

Now, this bear is busting into peoples chicken coops and isn't even afraid of someone firing a warning shot to scare it off.

Despite the regular appearances of bears here in our little piece of the Back of Beyond, people in this area still have birdfeeders out in their yards. I guess the cause and effect of feeders and bears is a concept that is too complicated for those folks to wrap their brains around evidently.

I don't tell other people how to manage their own property, but I do become quite irritated when their lack of common sense living in the woods negatively impacts our animals on our property.

Last year the forest mast was very abundant, and the bears did not lack for available food. This past week my neighbor said that a large bear attempted to break into the building where their goats lived and was stopped at the last moment by the sturdy construction of the building's door. They have goats. miniature horses, chickens and an elaborate koi pond on their property and this is the first-time bears have tried to go after any of their animals. I wonder if that sort of behavior is indicative of a poor forest mast availability this year and if we are now going to have more bear/man incidents than we have had in the recent past.

The back of our property abuts what I have been told are 800 acres of forest land owned by a lumber company. There is sufficient wild living space in the immediate local area to support a varied and growing population of wildlife here abouts. I try to gently remind people who are new to this area that bears, coyotes and fisher cats are not, contrary to popular belief, warm and cuddly creatures that one should underestimate........they are wild animals who are successful at surviving living in the woods, and they don't particularly care that people have started to encroach upon their territory.

If nothing else, this fall may have a certain adventurous quality to it that we would rather not have to deal with...... but if a bear starts to eat some of these ignorant people it will at least improve the gene pool.....so we have that going for us......

This, people think it is cool seeing the bears in their yards and continue to put out bird seed and suet over and over just to see them. And then their surprised when their chickens, etc. get chomped up.

A second attacking grizzly was killed in Montana this week:

I'd like to know what guns they used to take down a grizzly.

south-park-ned.gif

Back
Top Bottom