• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

BCM or Colt?

CTD has 6920 SOCOM uppers for $549 incl BCG and back up sights.
BCM HAS a barreled SOCOM assembly (no handguard, no rear sight) for $510, incl BCG and choice of non ambi charging handle.
First thing that bothers me about the Colt is that it comes with a Troy rail (because fugg Troy, that's why).
Second draw back about the Colt is that it's a Colt. They used to not give a damn about their civi business, and I kinda resent that.
The thing about the BCM is that it'd be around $150-200 more for the same profile upper, once I get the Daniel defense drop in HG that I want and the Magpull BUS. That's a lot of dough.
It will be a SHTF/training with buddies rifle. Your opinion would be appreciated.

CTD has 6920 SOCOM uppers for $549 incl BCG and back up sights.
BCM HAS a barreled SOCOM assembly (no handguard, no rear sight) for $510, incl BCG and choice of non ambi charging handle.
First thing that bothers me about the Colt is that it comes with a Troy rail (because fugg Troy, that's why).
Second draw back about the Colt is that it's a Colt. They used to not give a damn about their civi business, and I kinda resent that.
The thing about the BCM is that it'd be around $150-200 more for the same profile upper, once I get the Daniel defense drop in HG that I want and the Magpull BUS. That's a lot of dough.
It will be a SHTF/training with buddies rifle. Your opinion would be appreciated.

I'm a BCM fag, so I say BCM.

I went with BCM upper and lower. They had better upper deals last black Friday - free BCG, free charging handle. The BCM stock was only $15, and it's really light.

attachment.php

- - - Updated - - -

^me too. if BCM sold nail polish i would buy it.

The free hat is really nice.

Attachments

• BCM.jpg
    BCM.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 638
Give both uppers a level playing field in your decision making process. Set aside issues that may piss you off. If there's any chance at all that circumstances may cause you to need to use this upper for defense purposes, choose the upper that you believe in the most. Confidence, as you know means much.

Derek, Snacks and you are the reason why I ended up looking at BCM in the first place.

do it. i wish i did back in the day, i don't hate my mix-master rifle, but it took a lot of work to get it where it's at now and i could have set myself up for success just spending more money for good quality shit right off the bat years ago.

do it. i wish i did back in the day, i don't hate my mix-master rifle, but it took a lot of work to get it where it's at now and i could have set myself up for success just spending more money for good quality shit right off the bat years ago.

It is a hard lesson to learn.

I'm a BCM whore as well but Colt is top notch too. I sure as hell wouldn't buy anything from CTD though.

Pretty much this. I have both and wouldn't buy either from CTD. If you are pissed at Colt for what they did, then you should be rpsht at CTD for how they turned their back on us when the anti's were pushing their agenda after Newtown.

Sure you can. I'd go with a pencil barrel for a SHTF semi auto.

I agree, as my theory is that lighter is always better in a SHTF scenario where you will probably be on the move and carrying more than just a rifle. If you aren't building FA then there is no real reason for a heavy profile barrel unless you are aiming for 600+ meter shooting as a regular activity. At that point there are way better rifles suited for that purpose as you well know already. As others said, I won't buy from CTD just out of principle, but that being said, you can't really go wrong with a Colt if you can find a similar deal elsewhere. Like others here, I'm a BCM whore, and will always lean in that direction myself, but as said wouldn't pass up a nice Colt either. Since the Troy accessories on the Colt don't thrill you, I'd say you'd be best served jumping on a sale for a BCM, then dress it out with exactly what YOU want for accessories, even if it costs a bit more, because anything less is going to be a compromise. It took me a long time to piece together my first AR because I didn't have a good budget, and I wasn't willing to compromise and buy crap that I would only end up "upgrading" later. The only thing I skimped on initially was the trigger group. I built with a standard mil spec, but ended up with a Geisselle SSA as soon as I could afford it. The hardest part of building this way is having the discipline to wait for the right stuff and not buying crap because it's affordable.

First of all, **** ctd! Second of all, double **** troy!

I may be slightly biased, I hate pieces of shit!

I could have purchased colt stuff at dealer cost.... through advice here I ended up with BCM BCG, Charging handle, gas block, forward assist.... I'm fairly confident it was the right choice

whats the real savings in building vs. buying? If I'm looking at a BCM Middy, which appears (to my very novice eyes) to be outfitted pretty well out of the box, why would I build one, unless I wanted the satisfaction of building it myself?

There is no reason... if you can buy a upper or rifle exactly like you want, there's no pupose in building yourself. If you want a specific barrel and a specific handguard combination that you can buy off the shelf than build it as it will likely be cheaper than swapping parts later

The only "satisfaction" in building a rifle is getting what you want.... an AR is not a fine tuned 1911.... its just Ikea type assembly a monkey or small child could do

Thank god/alien or whatever my Colt M4 jammed several times during weapons qual few weeks ago instead of a firefight. Did I mention a lot of them did. I don't know, maybe is the platform and not Colt, and yes we do clean and maintain them.

First of all, **** ctd! Second of all, double **** troy!

I may be slightly biased, I hate pieces of shit!
I don't blame a company for price gouging, or cover their asses. The Newtown disaster was a SHTF situation for the firearms industry. CTD, Dick's and others reacted as they thought would be best for their company. Their biz, their rules. They are not on my shitlist. The Troy, good rail or not, however, was the ultimate deal breaker for me. I swore they'd never see a dime of my money, and I'll stick with it. The fact that BCM obviously does business with them doesn't make me happy, but again, their biz, their decision.
The reason for the SOCOM Profile is pretty basic. Added stiffness. The rail I'm planning on ultimately getting is not free float, so I prefer the stiffest barrel available.

Pretty much yep

I'm a BCM whore as well but Colt is top notch too. I sure as hell wouldn't buy anything from CTD though.

Yes. CTD can go kick rocks.

Back
Top Bottom