• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Basic firearms courses for LTC

Agnotology

NES Member
So I just found out about the new requirements for an LTC. I don't mind taking a refresher as I have not touched a gun in 6 years.

Anyone have any recommendations for springfield area? I saw SSD Tactical mentioned for more extensive classes, but not hearing much in the way of reviews or thoughts.

I don't care where it is so long as I am not driving an hour to Worcester or Pittsfield.

Did you have an LTC at some point or are you looking for your first?

What are the new requirements you are referring to? No new requirements that I know of recently.

First LTC

When I got my FID in.... 2005 or 2006? The HEC I took would have sufficed for either FID or LTC. Now according to my local PD I need to do this new course. Which is fine. More training is always better.

First LTC

When I got my FID in.... 2005 or 2006? The HEC I took would have sufficed for either FID or LTC. Now according to my local PD I need to do this new course. Which is fine. More training is always better.
If the cert you used to get your FID was checked off for LTC, per MGL you do NOT need to take any new course.

PDs extort people into doing all sorts of things that are not legally required however.

I teach those courses, but nowhere near Springfield.

Personally I'd contact Rob McDermott if I lived in your area and needed a course.
McDermott & Company, Inc. is his sub-forum. For many reasons instructors like myself don't usually post classes in our own forum as nobody seems to ever read/check the various trainer forums.

Yet more department imposed unlawful requirements. Submit or be deemed unsuitable.

Contact me I do one on one training and Mass State Safety Certificate classes. I live in Wilbraham. I am not only a NRA instructor with the MSP certification I am also a retired Smith & Wesson Firearms Instructor. I do classes in my home and can arrange range time at my club. The Springfield Sportsman's Club in Monson MA. Send me a PM and I will send you my email and phone number so we can discuss.
John

Yet more department imposed unlawful requirements. Submit or be deemed unsuitable.

I wouldn't assume as such just yet, there is still the possibility I am incorrect in my my memory of my 15 year old self.

This is what I have, and I live in Granby. It was a two day course at Savage Arms, 4 hours each day. First day was videos and lecture, second day was safe handling with fake rubber rounds and a test.

Attachments

• 20190810_190014.jpg
    20190810_190014.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 34
Local gun clubs often run basic firearms safety classes.
Additionally, two resources you can check:
NRA:
NRA Explore | Student Courses
GOAL:
www.goal.rog
Or call GOAL and ask to speak to Jon Green -- GOAL's Director of Education & Training. He could probably point you in the right direction.
Good luck!

Len is correct:

a certificate issued by the division of law enforcement in the department of fisheries, wildlife and environmental law enforcement pursuant to the provisions of section 14 of chapter 131 evidencing satisfactory completion of a hunter education course shall serve as a valid substitute for a basic firearms safety certificate required under this section.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131P

Of course, Len is also correct that there are some local PDs that don't care about the law, as written. My local PD tried to charge my kid $100 for his <18 FID. However, since my 15-year old had been an NRA Instructor for two years, and knew that this stuff might happen, he had a copy of the MGLs detailing a $25 fee, he paid the lower price.

OP: More training is better; better still is that the people that enforce the laws, also obey them.

Whether you go along to get along is up to you. You're a big boy/girl, and can make your own decisions.

Your pictured HE card should be good enough. Whether you think that it's enough is up to you. Both my kids got FIDs on the HE card; but, by that point, they were already well-practiced for almost 10 years! [laugh] I tell HE students that if they have no one to give them the practical knowledge, to take a class that includes live fire.​

I wouldn't assume as such just yet, there is still the possibility I am incorrect in my my memory of my 15 year old self.

This is what I have, and I live in Granby. It was a two day course at Savage Arms, 4 hours each day. First day was videos and lecture, second day was safe handling with fake rubber rounds and a test.

Could be.
I've forgotten when the course became a requirement. I got my LTC before the course was required so I'm grandfathered in. But I did take a class at the Worcester PD. Do they still do classes for the public?

Many PDs will NOT accept Mass Hunter Ed certificates, in spite of MGL. Having taken HE myself where none of the 42 students even touched a gun, I can understand why some chiefs refuse them. I've witnessed one HE instructor put on an excellent class where students did get to handle guns, but some HE instructors seem to leave a lot to be desired to say the least (the same can rightly be said for BFS instructors however).

The HE syllabus is quite constrained, time-wise. IIRC the "gun handling" part is ~20 minutes, for a group of 10 students. It's not much. And, it's not shooting.

That's why I tell ALL of the HE students that aren't shooters already, to find someone that is, and can show them, or to take another class.

Since it's specifically cited in the MGLs as OK for FID/LTC issuance, it should be honored. Whether it should be cited is another matter, as is whether ANY class or training should be required.

But, that's another discussion that will be informative, effective and free of acrimony as most NES go-rounds are.

Agawam Revolver has a course about once a month. It’s live fire so if you ever decide to apply for your CT carry permit, it’ll cover you there too. The instructors are good people. I send people there all the time

Training

Back
Top Bottom