BANDOLIERS - LEGAL ?

SalemCat

Banned
Ok, brace yourself. This is one of my hopeless, incredibly stupid, patented questions.

The Linberta Semi-Auto Shotgun I've got on order comes with a 25-Shell Bandolier.

Ok, so I fill this thing up with Buckshot.

I hang it on the wall.

Someday I decide I am very hungry, strap it on, and while covered in Neon Orange head-to-toe, and a Hunting License, in Season, in a Legal location, go blast a legal Deer. Turns out I am a very bad shot - that's why I need 25 rounds.

OR

I just leave it on the wall - waiting for the Zombie Apocalyse.

(Naturally my Shotgun is always stored with a tamper-proof trigger lock, and/or handled in a completely legal manner at all times. Let's focus on the BANDOLIER here).

Are BANDOLIERS ever ILLEGAL ?

(Someday I just know I'm going to have a Heart Attack, and I don't want to be lying on the Gurney in CUFFS because the EMT or Game Warden saw something scary).

Last edited:
Ok, brace yourself. This is one of my hopeless, incredibly stupid, patented questions.

The Linberta Semi-Auto Shotgun I've got on order comes with a 25-Shell Bandolier.

Ok, so I fill this thing up with Buckshot.

I hang it on the wall.

Someday I decide I am very hungry, strap it on, and while covered in Neon Orange head-to-toe, and a Hunting License, in Season, in a Legal location, go blast a legal Deer. Turns out I am a very bad shot - that's why I need 25 rounds.

OR

I just leave it on the wall - waiting for the Zombie Apocalyse.

(Naturally my Shotgun is always stored with a tamper-proof trigger lock, and/or handled in a completely legal manner at all times. Let's focus on the BANDOLIER here).

Are BANDOLIERS ever ILLEGAL ?

(Someday I just know I'm going to have a Heart Attack, and I don't want to be lying on the Gurney in CUFFS because the EMT or Game Warden saw something scary).

Assuming you're in MA.

MA storage laws include ammunition so your bando on the wall is illegal.

Assuming you're in MA.

MA storage laws include ammunition so your bando on the wall is illegal.

Ahh, but is it a simple violation of Fire Safety Regulations ? Which requires Ammo be in it's original box (which is just paper crap).

And can I wear it while hunting ?

Although Fire Regulations require it to be stored in the original box, I don't think Ammo needs to be locked up at all.

I may be wrong. I'm smart, but ignorant.

CMRs require it to be locked up. Use the search feature if you don't believe me, there are several threads on it. WRT hunting I have no clue.

I don't think Ammo needs to be locked up at all.
CMRs require it to be locked up.

Bob is correct...

527 CMR 13.04 said:
(1) Exemption: License, Registration, or Permit: In accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 148 § 13, the Board hereby prescribes the following quantities of explosive materials that shall be exempt from License, Registration, and Permit and may be kept, or stored in a building or other structure:

>snip<

(e) Exempt quantities of small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use.

http://www.lawlib.state.ma.us/source/mass/cmr/cmrtext/527cmr13.pdf

However, if you obtain a permit, there is no such storage requirement.

I kept a belt like that around during pheasant season. I don't see why not. There are no regulations about how much extra ammo you can have just a limit in the gun.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

CMRs require it to be locked up. Use the search feature if you don't believe me, there are several threads on it. WRT hunting I have no clue.

What is a CMR ?

- - - Updated - - -

Fire department storage permit.

Ok. Good.

I'm not sure I could be arrested or worse for violating a Fire Department Storage Permit. Maybe I'm wrong.

I have maybe 8 cardboard boxes and 17 ammo cans filled to the brim. Do they make cardboard ammo boxes that hold 25# of reloads?

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

"Any person who knowingly violates any rule or regulation made by the board of
fire prevention regulations shall, except as otherwise provided, be punished by a
fine of not less than one hundred dollars nor more than one thousand
dollars."

Check this out

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/massachusetts-laws/82760-ammo-storage-laws.html

Like I said, the search feature will turn up a lot of good info for you.

Thanks !

Will look.

Even a $1000 fine is peanuts compared to the crap they can do to you for many other "violations" that seem trivial, but are NOT.

Ok, well it seems to be a consensus that 25-Round Shotgun (Rifle) Bandoliers are fine.

They can be worn any time it is legal to be openly carrying a Shotgun (Rifle).

While stored, it is best to keep them inside a locked container with your Shotgun (Rifle).

I'm not even going to touch whether a person can wear a Handgun Ammo Bandolier - too confusing.

Thanks all !

Last edited:
Exempt quantities of small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use.

OK, I can understand keeping powder and primers stored in their original packaging, but what if you bought unprimed brass in a plastic bag, then loaded it yourself, do the rounds still have to be stored in the original container ???? (the plastic bag)
I see too many ways that would make it impossible to comply with the letter of the law.

Zappa, I think you will find any MA Fire Chief more reasonable to deal with than most MA Police Chiefs!

. . . and since this interpretation is up to your Fire Chief . . .

I long for the old days when folks piled up the dried leaves of Fall in their street gutters, and burned them.

It was beautiful, fragrant, and got rid of the damned leaves.

It's been so long.....

Ok, well it seems to be a consensus that 25-Round Shotgun (Rifle) Bandoliers are fine.

They can be worn any time it is legal it be openly carrying a Shotgun (Rifle).

While stored, it is best to keep them inside a locked container with your Shotgun (Rifle).

I'm not even going to touch whether a person can wear a Handgun Ammo Bandolier - too confusing.

Thanks all !

What? Handgun ammo should be in magazines or moon clips

unless youre wearing mag pouches in which case rock that shit bro

Back
Top Bottom