Suppressor-compatible, MA-legal compensators?

I started to hi-jack another thread with this question, but let's start a new thread instead...

I'll probably register my 2012 NES lower as an SBR. Should I ever move out of state to a more gun-friendly location, it would be great if I could attach a suppressor to it without destroying the existing muzzle device to replace it with a new one.

Do muzzle brakes that accept suppressors (such as this) function as well as those that do not? If so, are there any reasons why putting one on a rifle whilst in MA could land me in the gulag? KMM696 pointed out the threaded mount that some suppressors utilize as potentially running afoul of the AWB.

Any suggestions for specific comps? I have absolutely no knowledge of the various mounting mechanisms for cans, or the quality and function differences between them, and I would rather not spend an hour or two doing research only to find that I shouldn't get a suppressor-compatible comp while in MA.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I started to hi-jack another thread with this question, but let's start a new thread instead...

I'll probably register my 2012 NES lower as an SBR. Should I ever move out of state to a more gun-friendly location, it would be great if I could attach a suppressor to it without destroying the existing muzzle device to replace it with a new one.

Do muzzle brakes that accept suppressors (such as this) function as well as those that do not? If so, are there any reasons why putting one on a rifle whilst in MA could land me in the gulag? KMM696 pointed out the threaded mount that some suppressors utilize as potentially running afoul of the AWB.

Any suggestions for specific comps? I have absolutely no knowledge of the various mounting mechanisms for cans, or the quality and function differences between them, and I would rather not spend an hour or two doing research only to find that I shouldn't get a suppressor-compatible comp while in MA.

Thanks!

So, you going to SBR while in MA? I would think it would be kinda a drag to be running an SBR with a fixed stock.

Maybe just SBR a pre-ban lower, then you can put whatever muzzle device you want on it, and not have to worry about being able to run a can if you move out of state?

I was researching for compensator and found surefire. They has a compensator can be adapted with their silencer/suppressor. Or battlecomp 2.0 is compatible too.

Sent from my iPhone 5.

Last edited:
Just keep in mind....a lot of these comps are specific to one or two models of suppressor.

Research what you would want for a suppressor later in life, then pick a comp that's compatible.

Just keep in mind....a lot of these comps are specific to one or two models of suppressor.

Research what you would want for a suppressor later in life, then pick a comp that's compatible.

This, or just plan on buying a basic comp and install it in such a way that removing it isn't a huge travesty.

-Mike

So, you going to SBR while in MA? I would think it would be kinda a drag to be running an SBR with a fixed stock.

Maybe just SBR a pre-ban lower, then you can put whatever muzzle device you want on it, and not have to worry about being able to run a can if you move out of state?

I'm sorry, but I thought that this made the weapon a federally regulated item and the state had no say on it(FH, stock, threaded muzzle, etc.). Do you have any documentation on it?

If this is the case leave the comp unpinned and then you can swap out what you want.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I thought that this made the weapon a federally regulated item and the state had no say on it(FH, stock, threaded muzzle, etc.). Do you have any documentation on it?

If this is the case leave the comp unpinned and then you can swap out what you want.

It's a grey area. Some say that, since SBR's come under "firearms" (you need an LTC to own an SBR) and not "rifles" under the licensing requirements, they aren't regulated as rifles under the state AWB. Others find those claims to be specious, at best.

There is a whole thread on it on NES. Some people think that NFA items have never been covered by any AWB so you are fine. Other basically point out that this is MA. I'm not a lawyer - but I recently started the SBR process (NFA cashed my check last week, so the looooooooong wait has just started) and I chose to use a preban lower just to be safe.

There is a whole thread on it on NES. Some people think that NFA items have never been covered by any AWB so you are fine. Other basically point out that this is MA. I'm not a lawyer - but I recently started the SBR process (NFA cashed my check last week, so the looooooooong wait has just started) and I chose to use a preban lower just to be safe.

There is one other upside to using a preban lower on an SBR in MA- even if you believe in the SBR wallhack, with a preban lower you retain the ability to attach uppers to your "evil lower" that are "rifle" length in MA (basically anything 16 and above) without violating the MA AWB in the process. Those using the wallhack with a new lower, are basically stuck to keeping their gun in "firearm" barrel length class.

-Mike

I had always presumed that if an SBR trumped the AWB regulations, there wouldn't be such a demand for pre-ban lowers.

I had always presumed that if an SBR trumped the AWB regulations, there wouldn't be such a demand for pre-ban lowers.

Why? Have you built a number of SBRs?

Lots of chiefs in MA just plain won't sign off on them so you have to trust route. This means you can either spend around $800 (more than the cost of a preban lower) to have lawyer form a trust for you, or you can try to do it yourself and hope you get it right. Either way it's a PITA IME. Then you to pay to have the lower engraved. Then you need to spend another $200 for a tax stamp, and wait, and wait, and wait, to see if it's approved (I know people that have waited 8-9months).

Not really...

Most people are clueless about NFA items except for a relative handful of gun owners.

It's a pain in the ass to register an SBR. (think about how long it takes, way more than most people are willing to wait). Not to mention it becomes a more heavily regulated item post-registration. A 16"+ gun on a preban lower is a more "mobile" firearm because it's only Title I. You won't need to file an ATF 5320 on a Title I gun when it crosses state lines, whereas with an SBR you basically have to get permission for every state you want to bring the gun to, and that permission must be "renewed" every year. (it's easy to do, but it still adds to the pain in the ass factor).

That SBR also cannot be possessed by anyone not entitled by way of the approved
form. For individuals that means one person can lawfully control it. (Trusts and corporations are a bit different, but that's a whole other ball of wax). On the other hand I can loan a preban AR that is Title I to anyone I want who is licensed to possess one.

Also the tax is $200. that's either the bulk of, or at least half of, the price difference between a regular lower and a preban one. You'll never get that $200 back, either. (like you would if you sold the preban lower, assuming you didn't overpay for it to begin with. )

-Mike

Last edited:
Lots of chiefs in MA just plain won't sign off on them so you have to trust route. This means you can either spend around $800 (more than the cost of a preban lower) to have lawyer form a trust for you, or you can try to do it yourself and hope you get it right. Either way it's a PITA IME. Then you to pay to have the lower engraved. Then you need to spend another $200 for a tax stamp, and wait, and wait, and wait, to see if it's approved (I know people that have waited 8-9months).
Good thing I'm patient. Gives me time to save for the upper...

It's a pain in the ass to register an SBR. (think about how long it takes, way more than most people are willing to wait). Not to mention it becomes a more heavily regulated item post-registration. A 16"+ gun on a preban lower is a more "mobile" firearm because it's only Title I. You won't need to file an ATF 5320 on a Title I gun when it crosses state lines, whereas with an SBR you basically have to get permission for every state you want to bring the gun to, and that permission must be "renewed" every year. (it's easy to do, but it still adds to the pain in the ass factor).

That SBR also cannot be possessed by anyone not entitled by way of the approved
form. For individuals that means one person can lawfully control it. (Trusts and corporations are a bit different, but that's a whole other ball of wax). On the other hand I can loan a preban AR that is Title I to anyone I want who is licensed to possess one.

Also the tax is $200. that's either the bulk of, or at least half of, the price difference between a regular lower and a preban one. You'll never get that $200 back, either. (like you would if you sold the preban lower, assuming you didn't overpay for it to begin with. )

-Mike
Great info. Thanks to both of you. I suppose I'll have more than enough time to do research on suppressors and compensators, since the lower wouldn't be approved until close to 2013.

Back
Top Bottom