Bad news on my new Sig 229...

This might also help: http://pistol-training.com/archives/1361

FWIW, Sig trains shooters to use #3. It would seem reasonable to assume that they ship their pistols set up for that.

When I was at Sig Academy earlier this year, they actually taught us #2 and everyone was shooting 229s and 239s. The instructor drew it out on a whiteboard and explained it in detail because a couple of the students didn't quite get it. The instructor was the wife of the director of Sig Academy.

Not sure where the info about bad CS is coming from, my anecdotal experience from June was that it was extremely fast and efficient. They pick up the phone and answer emails. Its 603-772-4795 or [email protected]

I had a P229 and .22 conversion which didn't mate up correctly - it was a problem with the .22 slide. Within a day there was an empty Fedex packing box waiting for me at home, other than the inconvenience of dropping it off at a Fedex location, was good to go. Got the pistol and new .22 slide back within 7-10 days, delivered right to my door.

-Tim

Oh, I guess I'm a SigSauer-Academy fanboy - I definitely "float the dot and press the shot" - works great.

Ask Atilla how my P229 at 50yds beat his Mosin Nagant M44 [rofl]

When I was at Sig Academy earlier this year, they actually taught us #2 and everyone was shooting 229s and 239s. The instructor drew it out on a whiteboard and explained it in detail because a couple of the students didn't quite get it. The instructor was the wife of the director of Sig Academy.

Ok- here are just my thoughts. All my Sigs were fine with the #3 hold. Jasons really seems to get this stuff pretty well.

I personally use #2 with all my guns but I do not use the stupid 3 dot system now- I bet no one can tell me the "value" of the three dots anyway with the #2 hold.

That said the actual difference between the #2 and #3 hold at 50feet shouldn't be as bad as you are seeing.

I had a P228 that shot 6" high at 25 yds. The Dir of Training at Sig Academy verified this. I sent it to Sig for repair and it came back the same way I sent it! They said it was fine. BS! Good thing Sig has replacement rear sights that were low enough for me. Regular sights though.

Oh, I guess I'm a SigSauer-Academy fanboy - I definitely "float the dot and press the shot" - works great.

Of course you float the dot and make the shot... that is why the Sig rear sight has that white stripe on the rear sight... but where is your POI with that hold? That is the question...

Getting back on track, Sig agreed to take the gun back to give it an evaluation. They did send a UPS shipping label, which is a +1 for them. Now the wait to see if they fix it. I know some guys that have had a problem getting things put right up there in Exeter.

Getting back on track, Sig agreed to take the gun back to give it an evaluation. They did send a UPS shipping label, which is a +1 for them. Now the wait to see if they fix it. I know some guys that have had a problem getting things put right up there in Exeter.

Just wondering if the OP heard back from Sig?

Just wondering if the OP heard back from Sig?

I got the gun back from Sig in 6 days. They said that they adjusted the sights. It came with a super duper test target. Only trouble is the gun shoots the same. They did nothing.

You can't correct for elevation on the nights sights unless you change them out to different heights. Their supplier doesn't make the necessary sight heights that was needed. So, their way out is to lie and say they fixed it. The same sights are still on the gun. Go figure.

I like nights sights so I plan on training myself to misalign the front post, to correct for elevation, until it becomes habit. It's not a target gun. It's a personal protection gun.

I'm done with Sig. Never again. I shoulda stayed with S&W.

Sucks- just like my post #34! Good guns- don't let that get you down.

I got the gun back from Sig in 6 days. They said that they adjusted the sights. It came with a super duper test target. Only trouble is the gun shoots the same. They did nothing.

You can't correct for elevation on the nights sights unless you change them out to different heights. Their supplier doesn't make the necessary sight heights that was needed. So, their way out is to lie and say they fixed it. The same sights are still on the gun. Go figure.

I like nights sights so I plan on training myself to misalign the front post, to correct for elevation, until it becomes habit. It's not a target gun. It's a personal protection gun.

Thanks, Lugnut. I've got a pusher on hand. The thing is those Meprolight sights don't come in the height I'd need. In fact neither do the Trijon's. What really needs to be done is either add material to the barrel hole on the slide and regrind it or refit the barrel lock-up or both. Or, I suppose, the sight dovetails could be filled in and reground too. That ain't gonna happen.

Last edited:

Was the test target low?

Microarc welding out in the Waltham area does a great job of adding material and drawing out heat without distorting the steel dimensionally. I use them at work for adding material to expensive and highly precision machine parts (more precision than most gun tolerances), then you can have it reground.

Was the test target low?

Sorry about the delay answering you. Jason, the test target shot dead center and about 1/2" high. Now after telling you that, you gotta remember that to me it was a con-job. After perusing the Sig Forum I've found that the folks over at Exeter are doing the same s%^t to others that are sending in their guns that are shooting low. It would be an expensive repair for them so it looks like they send the guns back as-is.

I'm gonna go on an ammo hunt and try to find as much different ammo as I can. Then I'll test them all. I do know that the Winchester .40 NT grouped best so far, albeit low. Can't afford to shoot a lot of that stuff though, even if I could find it.

Sorry about the delay answering you. Jason, the test target shot dead center and about 1/2" high. Now after telling you that, you gotta remember that to me it was a con-job. After perusing the Sig Forum I've found that the folks over at Exeter are doing the same s%^t to others that are sending in their guns that are shooting low. It would be an expensive repair for them so it looks like they send the guns back as-is.

I'm gonna go on an ammo hunt and try to find as much different ammo as I can. Then I'll test them all. I do know that the Winchester .40 NT grouped best so far, albeit low. Can't afford to shoot a lot of that stuff though, even if I could find it.

Huh. That sucks. I've liked every Sig that I've ever shot and was thinking about buying a new one at that Four Seasons sale. Now I'm having second thoughts.

Jason, one of the examples I recall seeing was from a guy that was taking the Sig Academy training course. A pretty expensive class to attend and he was using his new Sig, don't recall the model of the gun. Anway it was shooting either high or low, similar to my problem. The instructor tried the gun and confirmed the problem. So, he dropped it off for repair and he got the same treatment as the rest of us with inaccurate guns. The smiths said they fixed it but in reality they did diddly. This type of customer service will come back to bite them someday once the word gets out.

It cost them a sale right here. I've got a P229 in 9mm I like, and am looking to make bigger holes. Now I'm not going to do it with a P229 in 40SW/357SIG, as I was planning to.

Back
Top Bottom