Bad news on my new Sig 229...

yanici

NES Member
I got a guy who is a crack pistol shot to test drive my Sig 229R .40. He confirmed what I thought. The damn gun shoots low. It shoots low by 1"@20', 2"@30' and 4.5"@50'. No wonder I'm in the dirt at 75'.

I gotta call Sig. I've heard that their CS ain't the best. Well, I'm gonna find out. BTW, it has the sights on it that the specs call for. The trouble is there ain't any sizes in Mepro sights (that's what Sig uses) that can correct that much error.

Last edited:
I know that the 180 grain Federals shot very low. I don't know what the Wichester NT or the other Winchester rounds weighed.

I would expect that the 180's were heavy enough to shoot right though.

I know that the 180 grain Federals shot very low. I don't know what the Wichester NT or the other Winchester rounds weighed.

I would expect that the 180's were heavy enough to shoot right though.

I doubt that bullet weight will make more than a few mm of difference at such short ranges. Could it be that you're not used to the 3 dot sights? If you're putting your POA at the top of the FSP like on a rifle, the POI will be low like you describe. Just a guess.

Jason, read the post. This wasn't my shooting but shot by an expert pistol shooter off a sandbag rest with two handed hold. The groups were consistantly lower as the range increased. We tried 3 different loads, although I don't know the weight of the two Winchester rounds.

Jason, read the post. This wasn't my shooting but shot by an expert pistol shooter off a sandbag rest with two handed hold. The groups were consistantly lower as the range increased. We tried 3 different loads, although I don't know the weight of the two Winchester rounds.

Whatever man - was just making a suggestion. Take it or leave it. I earned multiple expert pistol and rifle awards in the Marines and was a range coach / line NCO for a year at MCAS Yuma. I know a little bit about shooting and I've seen plenty of people (even "crack shots") make that mistake before. Just saying.

What is the proper way to aim a 3 dot handgun sight? I recently purchased a Sig239 and I was shooting low too. I assume it is my inexperience. I aimed like this 3dot sight.png and consistently hit low.

That sucks.

FWIW I would only test a .40s accuracy with 155 or 165s. The 180s have kinda wonky flight characteristics, especially at longer distances.

Mine was pretty much right near the top of the front sight at 25' or so, with just about anything. if it's lower that close, then something is wrong.

-Mike

What is the proper way to aim a 3 dot handgun sight? I recently purchased a Sig239 and I was shooting low too. I assume it is my inexperience. I aimed like this View attachment 6599 and consistently hit low.

You should shoot it off a rest to see if its you or the gun.

That said, It's probably you. A lot of the P series sigs have fairly stiff triggers even in single action. It takes some practice to "punch through the wall" without upsetting the sight alignment. Some dry fire practice at home in a safe place might be in order. Before I figured out how to pull the trigger correctly I was always applying too much pressure to the trigger and pulling the muzzle low.

Another trick is this... if you can pull smoothly in DA, try shooting a string in DA only. Decock, then smoothly and evenly pull the trigger until the shot breaks, then decock again, etc, etc. If your groups end up being better than it probably is because you're slapping/jerking the trigger in SA mode.

If you're new to handguns flinching can also be a major problem. This is especially true if you notice your groups start out OK and then rapidly deteriorate as you fire more shots. (least thats the way it was for me- I'd pull a good shot or two and then start flinching and slapping the trigger too hard. )

-Mike

What is the proper way to aim a 3 dot handgun sight? I recently purchased a Sig239 and I was shooting low too. I assume it is my inexperience. I aimed like this View attachment 6599 and consistently hit low.

The center dot goes over your point of aim. This is the common mistake that I mentioned - most people want to put the dot under the point of aim.

The trouble is there ain't any sizes in Mepro sights (that's what Sig uses) that can correct that much error.

Also - just the different sight combinations listed in the manual have a 17" range of adjustment at 25y. Unless you got the highest set from the factory (unlikely,) then you should be able to adjust. Check out page 16 of the manual.

sigs are a point of aim/ point of impact sight picture. the pic you show is low on a sig. put the front sight on the target.

The center dot goes over your point of aim. This is the common mistake that I mentioned - most people want to put the dot under the point of aim.

Yes, that's dead-on. And it's a problem compounded by some guns coming with "target sights" that are zeroed to underline the point of impact. Civvy 92FSes typically come that way. Sigs are zeroed as combat sights. Dot on your point of impact. Just a matter of preference and training. Occasionally bites you in the *** when you switch between sight types.

Also - just the different sight combinations listed in the manual have a 17" range of adjustment at 25y. Unless you got the highest set from the factory (unlikely,) then you should be able to adjust. Check out page 16 of the manual.

Thanks Jason. Sorry I bit your head off, BTW. The sights you're talking about are, I believe, the Sig standard sights. I've got night sights, made by Mepro. The Mepro's don't have the sight selection that would cure my problem. At least they don't list what I would need on their web page.

Thanks Jason. Sorry I bit your head off, BTW. The sights you're talking about are, I believe, the Sig standard sights. I've got night sights, made by Mepro. The Mepro's don't have the sight selection that would cure my problem. At least they don't list what I would need on their web page.

No sweat. Hope you work it out. If not I'll buy it off you - $200 sounds about fair. [smile]

Yes, that's dead-on. And it's a problem compounded by some guns coming with "target sights" that are zeroed to underline the point of impact. Civvy 92FSes typically come that way. Sigs are zeroed as combat sights. Dot on your point of impact. Just a matter of preference and training. Occasionally bites you in the *** when you switch between sight types.

I still have that problem on occasion. Years of firing with adjustable sights set for a 6 O'Clock hold keep coming back to haunt me with some pistols. It's hard for old dogs to learn new tricks. [wink]

Off the rest my 229 shoots like crapola.

When I get the time the fixed sights will find the trash barrel.

FWIW the 220 is dead nuts and the 239 works just fine.
What I really need is a set of eyes like my old 22 year old models that are 26 years too old.

What is the proper way to aim a 3 dot handgun sight?....

Ignore the dots and concentrate on the sights.
The dots are for fast & dirty combat shooting under poor lighting conditions.
It is well unto impossible to align three little dots with any degree of precision.
On the target range align the front & rear sight and put the top of the front sight on the center of the bull.
The 6 o'clock hold stuff doesn't work with combat handguns. They are intended to hit the point of aim.

FWIW, I have three .40 cal Sigs and two of them shoot as well or better double action than single action. The third is a new one with the crappy MA trigger. Gotta fix that one of these times.

Jack

You should shoot it off a rest to see if its you or the gun.

That said, It's probably you. A lot of the P series sigs have fairly stiff triggers even in single action. It takes some practice to "punch through the wall" without upsetting the sight alignment. Some dry fire practice at home in a safe place might be in order. Before I figured out how to pull the trigger correctly I was always applying too much pressure to the trigger and pulling the muzzle low.

Another trick is this... if you can pull smoothly in DA, try shooting a string in DA only. Decock, then smoothly and evenly pull the trigger until the shot breaks, then decock again, etc, etc. If your groups end up being better than it probably is because you're slapping/jerking the trigger in SA mode.

If you're new to handguns flinching can also be a major problem. This is especially true if you notice your groups start out OK and then rapidly deteriorate as you fire more shots. (least thats the way it was for me- I'd pull a good shot or two and then start flinching and slapping the trigger too hard. )

-Mike

Thank you. Good suggestions. I will try it out this weekend.

I have exactly the same problem with my Sig 229 in 9mm. At 55 feet, when I'm shooting at a ten inch plate I have to aim at the 12:00 noon position to hit center position on the plate.

I've passed the pistol on to several shooters who are much better than I am and they all have the same issue. I spoke with Greg Derr and he suggested shaving a few thousandths off the front sight to compensate. I need to bring it down to him for help.

Wondering if there are any good replacement sights for the 229? Ideally I'd love some adjustable sights.

I have exactly the same problem with my Sig 229 in 9mm. At 55 feet, when I'm shooting at a ten inch plate I have to aim at the 12:00 noon position to hit center position on the plate.

I've passed the pistol on to several shooters who are much better than I am and they all have the same issue. I spoke with Greg Derr and he suggested shaving a few thousandths off the front sight to compensate. I need to bring it down to him for help.

Wondering if there are any good replacement sights for the 229? Ideally I'd love some adjustable sights.

Yeah you can whittle away at regular sights but not the three dot night sights. Meprosights do make an adjustable rear dot night sight but not for the 229. You wouldn't want one on a carry gun anyway.

Whatever man - was just making a suggestion. Take it or leave it. I earned multiple expert pistol and rifle awards in the Marines and was a range coach / line NCO for a year at MCAS Yuma. I know a little bit about shooting and I've seen plenty of people (even "crack shots") make that mistake before. Just saying.

Still do any coaching? Always up to improving my shooting. [smile]

I had the same problem with my P220ST. Off the bench, shooting low. Changed the sights, it helped a little. From the bench.

Now, I am not a great shot by any stretch of the imagination, but I usually can hold my own. What I noticed was this: When I shot it from the bench, I was ignoring the front dot and putting the top of the front sight at the center of mass.

When I dialed the gun in, then shot it combat style, my shots were going high.

I was instinctively putting the dot on the COM without thinking about it. Now when I shoot my Sig, I just don't think, I just execute and it shoots fine.

Still do any coaching? Always up to improving my shooting. [smile]

Not at the moment. I'm just getting back into the sport after almost a decade away and I have a nice thick coat of rust to work out myself. Maybe someday though.

Back
Top Bottom