Status
Not open for further replies.
what about the strike at shaws
They where picking in frount of the girl scouts today
while they where trying to sell threre cookies [angry]
so i had to buy some[grin]

Last edited:
Especially Shaws.

I like trade unions. Trade unions take in young people, provide structured training, allow people to earn a decent wage while they develop a valuable skill, and their members add value by applying their skills to make and build things.

Labor unions are a different story. Labor unions are comprised of a bunch of unskilled people banded together to blackmail a legitimate business into paying unskilled workers a wage equivalent to skilled ones.

Last edited:
I have & I will...usually in my work truck while a bunch of jackas*es call me a scab. I always blow the air horn & see how many single finger salutes I can get out of them. [smile]

Depends....but if it meant my family having some food and not sleeping out in the cold rain that might make the decision a little clearer.

I would cross a picket line in a heartbeat - then I would remember I forgot something in my car and go back so I could cross it again. Then I would remember I forgot something inside the building so I would cross back over once more. Then I would leave - and remember that there was something I forgot to do so I would come back and cross again.

In a heartbeat.
Damn, Martlet, you beat me to it - this was my exact reaction when I read the OP.

I have & I will...usually in my work truck while a bunch of jackas*es call me a scab. I always blow the air horn & see how many single finger salutes I can get out of them. [smile]
Heh... many years ago I was the security guard who'd open the gate for your line-crossing brethren. I remember one trucker who just gunned his motor when some of the idiot strikers tried to stand in front of him to keep him from leaving. Guess who won - the 240lb striker or the tractor-trailer? That moron dove out of the way so fast that we were all laughing at him. [llaugh]

When I am working,no.

Not out of respect,but that eventually they won't be on strike and I will have to make a delivery and I need to get the freight off my truck.

If I crossed their line,they would never unload me.

It sucks,but that's the way it is.

Last edited:
Yes, BTDT.

If you are an employee, your choice could be cross it or lose your job/food on the table/roof over your head. I was an engineer at GD/EB when the draftsman's union (support staff) went out on strike for a number of months. I used to chat with some of the picketers that I was friendly with on the way into work. They were screwed by their union and knew it. I felt bad for them, but there was no ill feelings between them and the rest of us that were obligated to work.

Choices might be easier if it's just a store you were heading to buy something, you can almost always go down the street and do business with a competitor.

In a cocaine heart beat, with out a single though.

In a free market all of our skills have a set value based on supply and demand, if you have a sought after skill then your value is higher than some one with no skill.

The unions some how feel that an unskilled individual is some how entitled to the same market value as another with greater skills, and that can never be the case.

I thought about going to pick up some extra hours when the grocery stores were going on strike. I figured I could use a few extra bucks for some toys.

Especially Shaws.

I like trade unions. Trade unions take in young people, provide structured training, allow people to earn a decent wage while they develop a valuable skill, and their members add value by applying their skills to make and build things.

Labor unions are a different story. Labor unions are comprised of a bunch of unskilled people banded together to blackmail a legitimate business into paying unskilled workers a wage equivalent to skilled ones.
What an incredibly stupid comment! As a Teamster and professional class A driver with all endorsements I can tell you from actual experience (12 years with a Teamster Co.) that I work with some of the best in the business. Just like everywhere else
there are always going to be whiners but one of the things that was always important to all of us was to remember that we were not just representing our employer but also the Teamsters Union. The customers know the Union companies as well as the non union companies. Be a man, don't make uneducated comments just to get a laugh or because you want to be a follower!
I can't speak for other unions (because I don't want to look like an IDIOT) but I can tell you that the Teamsters Union is one of the best "labor unions" in the world.

I can't speak for other unions (because I don't want to look like an IDIOT) but I can tell you that the Teamsters Union is one of the best "labor unions" in the world.

Best how? A labor union holds the company hostage to receive wages for employees that they aren't worth, in my humble opinion as a past union member.

Best how? A labor union holds the company hostage to receive wages for employees that they aren't worth, in my humble opinion as a past union member.

+1 I was wondering the same thing. How does a person with the same skill and same experience suddenly become better and more valuable just because they are a a union member.

You could not have been a union member for very long or maybe you were not paying attention. The wages for union and non union truckers is pretty close and in some cases there are non union drivers making more than union drivers. Which brings me to another point, the reason that most non union trucking companies offer decent pay and bennies is that they have to compete with union wages. Otherwise they would be more than happy to pay their drivers low wages and sub standard benefits. (ever hear of Walmart?) And for all you people who are so anti union, go to China where labor unions are strongly opposed and see how much you earn there while working in sub standard, unhealthy, inhumane conditions for 12 to 15 hours a day. You probably think your boss just loves you and that your company really gives a rat's rump about you and your family don't you. And as far as the idiotic comments so many of you like to throw around about the "unskilled union workers" you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Remember, It is far better to be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!

Especially Shaws.

What an incredibly stupid comment! As a Teamster and professional class A driver with all endorsements I can tell you from actual experience (12 years with a Teamster Co.) that I work with some of the best in the business. Just like everywhere else
there are always going to be whiners but one of the things that was always important to all of us was to remember that we were not just representing our employer but also the Teamsters Union. The customers know the Union companies as well as the non union companies. Be a man, don't make uneducated comments just to get a laugh or because you want to be a follower!

Yes I would cross the picket line. The union where I worked was more of a corporation then the company we worked for and they did less for the workers then the company did.
Great the Teamsters union is "one of the best" Yay for them. How does that help your company and your customers other then having their services cut or threatened every time the union cries strike?
UPS paid their loaders 1/2 what FED-EX did years ago. And UPS employees had to pay their "union tax" on top of that.

Especially Shaws.

You could not have been a union member for very long or maybe you were not paying attention. The wages for union and non union truckers is pretty close and in some cases there are non union drivers making more than union drivers. Which brings me to another point, the reason that most non union trucking companies offer decent pay and bennies is that they have to compete with union wages. Otherwise they would be more than happy to pay their drivers low wages and sub standard benefits. (ever hear of Walmart?) And for all you people who are so anti union, go to China where labor unions are strongly opposed and see how much you earn there while working in sub standard, unhealthy, inhumane conditions for 12 to 15 hours a day. You probably think your boss just loves you and that your company really gives a rat's rump about you and your family don't you. And as far as the idiotic comments so many of you like to throw around about the "unskilled union workers" you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Remember, It is far better to be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!

Might want to take your own advice about opening your mouth. YOUR union is not everyone else's.

You could not have been a union member for very long or maybe you were not paying attention.

Why would you say that?

Which brings me to another point, the reason that most non union trucking companies offer decent pay and bennies is that they have to compete with union wages. Otherwise they would be more than happy to pay their drivers low wages and sub standard benefits. (ever hear of Walmart?)

You mean they'd have to pay them what the job is worth? Oh, the horror.

And for all you people who are so anti union, go to China where labor unions are strongly opposed and see how much you earn there while working in sub standard, unhealthy, inhumane conditions for 12 to 15 hours a day.
We have laws against that. No need for unions.

You probably think your boss just loves you and that your company really gives a rat's rump about you and your family don't you.

Why does your boss' feelings toward you matter? Either you're an asset to the company, or you're not. He cares about the bottom dollar, which is what he's paid to care about.

And as far as the idiotic comments so many of you like to throw around about the "unskilled union workers" you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Remember, It is far better to be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!

Some unions are full of unskilled workers. They're supposed to be.

Well the GOOFY part of your screen name sure fits. Once again, I can only speak for the Teamsters Union and in my 12 years I have seen a lot of cooperative dialogue between Union BAs and Company Mgt. No work stoppages or strikes (the last big strike was in 95) a lot has changed since then. I can't help you if you were in a bad situation but I have not seen those kind of problems in the Teamsters Union. Just because your union had internal problems does not call for blanket statements.

The strippers in San Francisco California have a union, I am sure you would like to see Amy up on Stage but Bertha has seniority....[crying]

Businesses are there to make a profit for the owners/stockholders/board etc. They are not there to give a job to someone. You wonder why many jobs are shuttled out of the States is because of unions and the 'price' to do business. Yes, unions had their place early when they were truly needed because of the poor work conditions. But right now they serve more as a political machine than anything else.

Well the GOOFY part of your screen name sure fits. Once again, I can only speak for the Teamsters Union and in my 12 years I have seen a lot of cooperative dialogue between Union BAs and Company Mgt. No work stoppages or strikes (the last big strike was in 95) a lot has changed since then. I can't help you if you were in a bad situation but I have not seen those kind of problems in the Teamsters Union. Just because your union had internal problems does not call for blanket statements.

But it does call for blanket statements on your part?[rolleyes]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom