• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ATF Test, Examination and Classification of 7N6 5.45x39 Ammunition

SO that ATF notice says the following:
ATF’s determination applies only to the Russian-made 7N6 ammunition analyzed, not to all 5.45x39 ammunition. Ammunition of that caliber using projectiles without a steel core would have to be independently examined to determine their importability.

Any other surplus 5.45 ammo qualifies for import? Sounds like I need to head up to NH and buy another couple of cases while it's still around.
This is the primary reason why I stayed with standard NATO calibers. One day, BATFE will outlaw the import of all Russian/former Combloc calibers. Done in increments. Just a matter of time now.

Then the bullet is made entirely of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium?

No, its "core" is. And "core" is undefined. One would THINK "core" is everything BUT "jacket" but apparently the Bureau is thinking anything in there at the middle is a core.

No, its "core" is. And "core" is undefined. One would THINK "core" is everything BUT "jacket" but apparently the Bureau is thinking anything in there at the middle is a core.

The BATFE is thinking "anything that will plausibly let us ban the importation of this ammo".

The 5.45x39 is SMALLER than .22 caliber, and therefore should not be banned from importation under BATFE's own rules.

The bullet is a 0.215 caliber.

There's the government not following the law again. Goddammit.

The 5.45x39 is SMALLER than .22 caliber, and therefore should not be banned from importation under BATFE's own rules.

They ruled based on

i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium;

and not

(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

Still stupid, but that isn't why.

Last edited:
Not surprised, although I have to wonder the wisdom of the person who requested that import permit. Then again at this point antis could even be doing this shit... EG, a scumbag like bloomberg, etc, saying "Let's set off the trap to get more ammo banned".

-Mike

Wait.. So they want Lead Free ammo.. But they ban Steel Core? WTF? Steel core is ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY.. THIS IS ECO-MUNITION! You can't ban it.. It's for the children..

All of these bans are just more evidence of government acting to protect only itself and its enforcers, none of them have anything to do with protecting the public. In fact, they are specifically designed to injure, restrict and prohibit the public's ability to exercise their 2A right.

Its fiat rule by a gangster bureaucracy rather than legitimate legislated law by congress.

One step at a time, they're trying to reduce the possession of arms down to a .22 and shotgun(likely a single shot break open) like most of the other dictatorships of the world that still allow peasants to own guns for agricultural and subsistence hunting, with the ultimate goal of complete abolition.

Did you not see the big fat bolded "OR" between paragraphs i and ii?

Did you not see the big fat bolded "OR" between paragraphs i and ii?

y5ana8ah.jpg

Back
Top Bottom