Ashland Police Dog Killing

You seem to have made up a single scenario that is supposed to encompass everything in your outrage.

What if because certain small amounts of pot is legal now, drug dogs don’t train on it anymore? I don’t know if that’s accurate or not I’m not a trainer, but large amounts of marijuana are still illegal and still being trafficked by gangs and cartel so that cuts short any of the above. Not to mention the heroin, fentanyl, Oxy, crack, coke, and a hundred other drugs the dogs train on.
The dog doesn’t have a meter on its back for the size of the hit though. [laugh] In legal terms what he describes is a serious problem for a typical fishing expedition dog sniffs a car deal, because it creates a fruit of the poisonous tree problem. It still wouldn’t preclude using a dog under a warranted or consented search to find hidden drugs though. IMHO dogs in general for fishing expeditions shouldn’t be allowed, there’s no lcd panel on the dog to tell you what it hit on…. for all anyone knows it could associate a hit signal with rat turds in an old car. [rofl] Thankfully fishing that hard is rare in new england unless like some guy gets pulled over and blows crack smoke from a glass pipe out the window as they pull up….

Not so fast.
The police are currently digging up the history of the other dog to prove the other dog was no good. Rumor has it he was seen pissing on some fire hydrants in town and wasn't registered. Clearly it needed to be taken off of the streets.
Wouldn't put it past them to find a little THC in the deceased dogs blood as well.
It was also known to brandish its teeth on occasion.

Misleading title. A dog is not a PO
A dog is a police officer until and unless you hang a jury on a criminal trial
that hinges on that ragtime because you won't suck for the narrative.

Transfer to the ATF?
Nah, the dog is too motivated.

It would quickly clear out the AFT backlog,
and then where would they be?

Don't. Kill. The. Job.

"Tuukka is also a trained drug detection dog."

This is BS now. Marijuana is legal in MA so why do you need a drug detecting dog. If the dog "alerts" it can't tell the PO what drug. The PO then searches your vehicle, house, property in violation of your rights because the dog could have alerted on pot which is legal.

Dog alerts. Cop searches and finds some pot and stolen property from a recent break in. You get busted for stolen property etc. The first line of defense is illegal search because pot is legal and there were no other drugs so there was no probable cause for the search.
Drug dogs are trained using drops of scent from overpriced vials of
Simudrugs. You have no idea which drugs they've been trained with.

Peak hilarity is scoring a vial of Simudrug
and anointing the hubcaps of every prowl car in the precinct.
Get tape of the dog going apesh¡t from the parking lot webcam.
Suddenly the dog is decertified as a habitual False Positiver.

You know the only choice they have is to put him down.
Wanna bet?

For starters,
can a dog owner explain how a dog "escapes from a secure area in a house"?

How about you imbecile humans shut the damned door
until it makes that subtle "latchy noise" and don't open it again,
or kick the dog away from the door if it tries to dart out
when you have go into the room for something?

It's not like the dog has an eleet palette of ninja moves.
The dog is not Meadowlark Freaking Lemon.

Anyhow, if the dog is so slick that it can "escape from a secure area"
to kill another dog,
it's a cinch that 10 minutes before animal control arrives
to put it down,
the dog's gonna "escape from a secure house". 🤷‍♂️
How tough is that one to figure out?

You seem to have made up a single scenario that is supposed to encompass everything in your outrage.

What if because certain small amounts of pot is legal now, drug dogs don’t train on it anymore? I don’t know if that’s accurate or not I’m not a trainer, but large amounts of marijuana are still illegal and still being trafficked by gangs and cartel so that cuts short any of the above. Not to mention the heroin, fentanyl, Oxy, crack, coke, and a hundred other drugs the dogs train on.
Embrace the Supremacy Clause @cams -
it's all still illegal until one Party or the other
decides that Federal legalization is the Yellow Brick Road to re-election.

I know what you said is just state/local shorthand for Not My Problem.
Jus' keepin' it real.

Roger. I’ve been out of it for a couple of years now so I’m probably dating myself. Not sure why I even care.
No prob.

My issue is an overzealous cop who wants to search your car and you refuse. They bring in the dog who "alerts" and there are no drugs in the car but they get something else criminal and it holds up in court because you know the dog is never wrong and you must have had pot in the car earlier.
Don't hire defense attorneys who suck.
#ProTip

If the car is detained for longer than the traffic stop should have taken to complete
in order to allow a drug dog to arrive on-scene,
anything it uncovers is inadmissible evidence, and any decent lawyer will get it tossed.

'Calling a K9' during a traffic stop is questionable at best due to a SCOTUS ruling most cops never bothered to read. If you don't have reasonable suspicion BEFORE you make the call, it will probably get tossed if they hire a decent lawyer.
^ QFMFT.
If the dog arrives in time, it's good.
If it prolongs the detention beyond what's needed, no bueno.

Thankfully fishing that hard is rare in new england unless like some guy gets pulled over and blows crack smoke from a glass pipe out the window as they pull up….
Or if they're headed back down through Franconia Notch while drug running after leaf peeping.

NES: Border Patrol 100 miles NORTH of the border
NES: Immigration checkpoint I93 South of the notch

Be a lot easier if they just put the dog down you know? My aunt is a vet for a lot of the members here and she would say the same damn thing…. Give it the needle.

If the car is detained for longer than the traffic stop should have taken to complete
in order to allow a drug dog to arrive on-scene,
anything it uncovers is inadmissible evidence, and any decent lawyer will get it tossed.
Bonus:
In the 9th Circuit (United States v. Landeros)
police cannot extend a traffic stop to hurr-durr
about a non-suspect passenger refusing to provide their ID.

Cannot extend the stop even to the degree that
if they jerk the passenger out of the car like a bad molar
after the stop has become illegally extended,
any boolits they find in his pocket are fruits of the poisonous tree,
and cannot be used as evidence of boolit possession crime
even if the passenger is an FPP.

Back
Top Bottom