• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ashland Police Dog Killing

Misleading title. A dog is not a PO
Yeah, but they are sometimes considered such by the media - see headline below.

What is interesting is that the officer admitted he knew about this weeks before the Metrowest Daily News (a fine example of press release non-investigative journalism) interviewed him for a puff piece, but chose to withhold this information from the public until the PD got its story straight (er, investigated the incident)

"Tuukka is also a trained drug detection dog."

This is BS now. Marijuana is legal in MA so why do you need a drug detecting dog. If the dog "alerts" it can't tell the PO what drug. The PO then searches your vehicle, house, property in violation of your rights because the dog could have alerted on pot which is legal.

Dog alerts. Cop searches and finds some pot and stolen property from a recent break in. You get busted for stolen property etc. The first line of defense is illegal search because pot is legal and there were no other drugs so there was no probable cause for the search.

Dog alerts. Cop searches and finds some pot and stolen property from a recent break in. You get busted for stolen property etc. The first line of defense is illegal search because pot is legal and there were no other drugs so there was no probable cause for the search.
What you're describing is called
1640203122803.png

You know the only choice they have is to put him down.
Police chiefs, who are dead set against decrim, love making that fallacious argument.

Ignores the option of a transfer to "school resource officer", corrections, or highway weigh station duty -- all places where "legal" marijuana isn't.

Detection dogs start to "age out" after 6-9 years of service, the larger breeds have shorter careers. I learned a fair bit about all this when we got a detection trained GSD who had washed out of the program after completing nearly all training -- had a bit too enthusiastic reaction to a "hit".

Got the dog at a significant discount off the usual price that breeder would charge, and only real downside was getting a post-puppyhood dog who sometimes exhibited a rather intense interest in certain neighbor's houses...

Oh, and I had to learn German (because that was the command language the dog school taught)

Last edited:
"Tuukka is also a trained drug detection dog."

This is BS now. Marijuana is legal in MA so why do you need a drug detecting dog. If the dog "alerts" it can't tell the PO what drug. The PO then searches your vehicle, house, property in violation of your rights because the dog could have alerted on pot which is legal.

You seem to have made up a single scenario that is supposed to encompass everything in your outrage.

What if because certain small amounts of pot is legal now, drug dogs don’t train on it anymore? I don’t know if that’s accurate or not I’m not a trainer, but large amounts of marijuana are still illegal and still being trafficked by gangs and cartel so that cuts short any of the above. Not to mention the heroin, fentanyl, Oxy, crack, coke, and a hundred other drugs the dogs train on.

You seem to have made up a single scenario that is supposed to encompass everything in your outrage.

What if because certain small amounts of pot is legal now, drug dogs don’t train on it anymore? I don’t know if that’s accurate or not I’m not a trainer, but large amounts of marijuana are still illegal and still being trafficked by gangs and cartel so that cuts short any of the above. Not to mention the heroin, fentanyl, Oxy, crack, coke, and a hundred other drugs the dogs train on.
Problem is the hundreds of narcotics dogs in the field (and hundreds more "in the pipeline") who are trained on pot, and now many states (see New Jersey, or the above about CO) are deciding that a "hit" from a pot-trained dog is no longer probable cause for warrantless drug searches.

Roger. I’ve been out of it for a couple of years now so I’m probably dating myself. Not sure why I even care.

You know the only choice they have is to put him down.
Not so fast.
The police are currently digging up the history of the other dog to prove the other dog was no good. Rumor has it he was seen pissing on some fire hydrants in town and wasn't registered. Clearly it needed to be taken off of the streets.
Wouldn't put it past them to find a little THC in the deceased dogs blood as well.

That only applies to legally possessed marijuana. If dog's nose alerted anything else, you better believe those "incidental findings" would hold up.

Of course.

My issue is an overzealous cop who wants to search your car and you refuse. They bring in the dog who "alerts" and there are no drugs in the car but they get something else criminal and it holds up in court because you know the dog is never wrong and you must have had pot in the car earlier.

Last edited:
That only applies to legally possessed marijuana. If dog's nose alerted anything else, you better believe those "incidental findings" would hold up.
That is not what this month's Colorado Court of Appeals ruling in People v. Restrepo holds; Restrepo was found in possession of firearms and methamphetamine only.

They bring in the dog who "alerts" and there are no drugs in the car but they get something else criminal and it holds up in court because you know the dog is never wrong and you must have had pot in the car earlier.
If the dog is trained for marijuana, that won't work; the "alert" is no longer probable cause in Colorado, here's the key part of ruling:
Colorado Court of Appeals said:
a dog sniff from a dog trained to detect marijuana is a search under article II, section 7; it intrudes on a person’s reasonable expectation of privacy in lawful activity. Id. at ¶¶ 43, 48. Accordingly, there must be probable cause to believe a vehicle contains illegal narcotics under state law before deploying a drug detection dog trained to alert to marijuana

If a dogs is trained on multiple “drugs” with weed included, how do you know he isn’t alerting to a legal amount of marijuana. Do you give up your 4th amendment right because a narc dog alerts to a potentially legal amount of weed? This is anecdotal but I’ve seen some pretty bs videos of a cop going “yea he alerted” and it looks like the cop made the dog sit down and then they search the car. Drug sniffing dogs are bunk

If a dogs is trained on multiple “drugs” with weed included, how do you know he isn’t alerting to a legal amount of marijuana. Do you give up your 4th amendment right because a narc dog alerts to a potentially legal amount of weed? This is anecdotal but I’ve seen some pretty bs videos of a cop going “yea he alerted” and it looks like the cop made the dog sit down and then they search the car. Drug sniffing dogs are bunk
My mostly-trained police academy dropout of a GSD definitely alerted on pot (and dunkin' donuts, small mammals, etc).

OTOH, many of those neighbors this dog found highly interesting, we already had our suspicions about, so maybe the dog was reacting to us?

Most cops do it wrong from the get go anyway. I've already said I was kicked from a task force for questioning the practices of the one of the other officers. The officer/deputy was later investigated and resigned in lieu of some questionable stuff. I was not reinstated until an entire new crew was put together and did things right. 'Calling a K9' during a traffic stop is questionable at best due to a SCOTUS ruling most cops never bothered to read. If you don't have reasonable suspicion BEFORE you make the call, it will probably get tossed if they hire a decent lawyer.

Back
Top Bottom