Article: SEATTLE CITY COUNCIL VOTING TO TAX INDIVIDUAL BULLETS, FIREARMS

Since law abiding citizens more than likely own cars, they can just hop in the car, drive 1 town over, and buy the same guns or ammo without the city tax. Easy solution.

Contrary to how this all sounds this ridicules tax was never meant to create any serious revenue, it's only purpose is to put gun dealers out of business, especially the smaller ones.

This is purely for bragging rights as the most liberty-hating of the Progressive Statist Regimes.

Remember, WA is the state that counted the ballots 3 times until the Democrat won for governor, then stopped counting.

Since law abiding citizens more than likely own cars, they can just hop in the car, drive 1 town over, and buy the same guns or ammo without the city tax. Easy solution.

Yes, it appears to be a simple solution. However, as someone already posted, it could have the effect of putting small firearm stores out of business maybe immediately and/or reducing income for all firearm store in the city slowly over time so that no firearm stores exist in the city. If this happens and is successful, then other cities/towns could pass the same tax burdens. In effect, it's another slippery slope that we do not want to go down (for any type of business). For example, should the automotive industry be taxed more heavily to treat victims injured in accidents to help defray medical costs?

Because it's the law abiding citizens fault after all that people are getting shot by criminals. Let's punish everyone for the acts of the few.

This is how statists use the law to get rid of things they don't like. It'd probably be about as effective as taxing cigarettes.

Because it's the law abiding citizens fault after all that people are getting shot by criminals. Let's punish everyone for the acts of the few.

Communism: From each according to their ability, to each based on his need, the law abiding should pay penance for the crimes against Society, it's only fair.

Coming soon to a town near you.

I'm honestly surprised that the anti-gunners haven't been pushing for an NFA style tax on all firearms. "Sure, you can keep your guns. We're just going to charge a $500 tax on each firearm every time it gets sold or transferred."

This is how statists use the law to get rid of things they don't like. It'd probably be about as effective as taxing cigarettes.

Yup. Beating up on the law-abiding is about as effective as kicking the dog b/c your pissed off at someone at work. Sure it makes you feel better, but doesn't improve the situation at work.

I'm honestly surprised that the anti-gunners haven't been pushing for an NFA style tax on all firearms. "Sure, you can keep your guns. We're just going to charge a $500 tax on each firearm every time it gets sold or transferred."

Yeah, because THAT wouldn't drive the black market.

There are 2 gun stores in Seattle (but 22 FFLs). Goal of this tax is take it to zero

Well, not near me -- statewide preemption and all that.

Actually, WA has statewide preemption for gun laws, but Seattle pretends it doesn't apply to anything they want, because they're a special snowflake.

Cook County, IL has had the $25 tax for a while now, and it's working very well.. at driving out gun stores and FFLs. Chicago considered a 5¢ bullet tax, but decided against it because it wouldn't stand judicial review.

I suspect that the only thing holding them back from trying to pass a $500 tax on all transfers is knowing it would be overturned at the supreme court, and such a case could take the NFA tax down with it as collateral damage. They're not stupid enough to let the court revisit Miller v. United States after Heller .

Actually, WA has statewide preemption for gun laws, but Seattle pretends it doesn't apply to anything they want, because they're a special snowflake.

Cook County, IL has had the $25 tax for a while now, and it's working very well.. at driving out gun stores and FFLs. Chicago considered a 5¢ bullet tax, but decided against it because it wouldn't stand judicial review.

I suspect that the only thing holding them back from trying to pass a $500 tax on all transfers is knowing it would be overturned at the supreme court, and such a case could take the NFA tax down with it as collateral damage. They're not stupid enough to let the court revisit Miller v. United States after Heller .
With the way the supreme court has been deciding things recently, I'd be scared of what they would come up with. :/

....at least not until after the next Pres could possibly flip the court anyway.

Back
Top Bottom