• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Article: An Act To Strengthen and Enhance Firearms Laws in the Commonwealth

Folks, we need every single person with a pulse at this event, we need to start the swell of opposition here. If you believe in your 2nd amendment rights, I urge you to drop what ever it is you have planned, and show up to this. Complacency is not an option......

Don't even think about getting into an altercation while carrying! You could be subject to 10 years in state prison just for having a gun on your person.

"Section 18D. Whoever, while in the commission or attempted commission of a misdemeanor that has as an element the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against the person of another, has in his possession or under his control a firearm, rifle, or shotgun, shall, in addition to the penalty for such offense, be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than 10 years, or in the house of correction for not more than 2 ½ years, or by a fine of not more than $5,000, or by both such fine and imprisonment."

It's got the 7 round magazine limit. I plan on being at the event. No grandfathering either.

SECTION 25. Said section 131M of chapter 140 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by adding the following paragraph:-

Any large capacity feeding device that has or can readily be restored or converted to accept more than ten rounds of ammunition that was legally possessed by an individual prior to the enactment of this act must be sold or otherwise lawfully disposed of within one year of the act’s effective date. Such large capacity feeding devices may only be sold or disposed of to a purchaser authorized to possess such weapons.

Last edited:
Manufacturers better ramp up production of ten round mags. Get as many as they can into circulation. The wording states 10 round mags should be OK if they are preban. Over that, get rid of 'em! [angry] God I hope we can water this down.

I WILL be there!

Print flyers and hand them out! Print Patrick's bill, highlight the worst points, and hand it out, call everyone you know. Make a sign and be there. I will be counted. I'm taking the day off from work.

I am writing this letter to inform any elected official that votes for the "Act To Strengthen and Enhance Firearms Laws in the Commonwealth" will not get support or a vote from I or my family regardless of your political party affiliation. We have strict gun laws as it is and we are rated one of the best states in the nation with one of lowest amount of gun violence. while other states with tighter gun control have statistically higher gun violence rates. Furthermore if this law passes I will have no choice but to take my family, my business and my taxable income and assets to a state with more respect for individuals rights and the constitution of the united states of America.

this is the letter I wrote... feel free to copy/modify....

Has anyone considered the need for a permit? Just sayin... I'd hate to show up only to be turned away due to the fact we don't have a permit

You can't be turned away.. It's THE first amendment in the Bill of Rights!

This is how it goes...

"Excuse me sir... You can't protest"

"**** you!"

/protests

Has anyone considered the need for a permit? Just sayin... I'd hate to show up only to be turned away due to the fact we don't have a permit

Last edited:

A permit?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Seriously??? We're about to lose our constitutional right and you're worried about more bureaucracy? **** that.

- sent from forum runner using chisel and slate

DEREK,
I suggest adding some kind of tag to the usernames of people who attend and people who do not. When we arrive we need to have a list of users who attended.
So people can be shamed for not attending.

Please everyone, go here:
http://www.congress.org/congressorg/issues/alert/?alertid=61115481&type=ML

....and write a message to all our state legislators saying you DO NOT support that bill in it's current form. If we don't say anything, this is going to pass.

Here is what I just sent:

Many of the measures enumerated in Deval Patrick's "An Act To Strengthen and Enhance Firearms Laws in the Commonwealth" bill are far too draconian. Certain items in the bill severely compromise the ability to defend one's self if confronted with grave and serious danger.

In particular:
"Section 18D. Whoever, while in the commission or attempted commission of a misdemeanor that has as an element the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against the person of another, has in his possession or under his control a firearm, rifle, or shotgun, shall, in addition to the penalty for such offense, be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than 10 years, or in the house of correction for not more than 2 ½ years, or by a fine of not more than $5,000, or by both such fine and imprisonment."

I have an MA license to carry a concealed weapon (LTC-A). If someone attacks me and puts me and I have genuine fear for my life I am allowed to protect myself. Yet the draconian nature of section 18D would have me thrown in jail for up to 10 years even if someone attacks me unprovoked and I simply have my _concealed_ weapon on me.

Also:
Section 24 banning all high cap mags that: "accept, more than seven rounds but no more than ten rounds of ammunition, where such device contains more than seven rounds of ammunition."

Effectively, those who already own 10 round magazines can keep them but they must only fill them 70%. Criminals will _not_ show the same restraint.

And reducing to 7 rounds goes beyond the new 10 round limit that is being sought on a federal level. MA already imposes a 10 round limit on magazines. Just because NY passed this doesn't mean MA should tolerate such draconian measures by an overzealous Governor who is clearly looking to get away with imposing the most restrictions he can get away with during a political climate that is conducive to excessive gun restrictions.

MA has some of the most restrictive gun laws in all of the United States. There is no reason we need to try to pile on law abiding MA residents with further restrictions. Instead our current laws should be championed as the standard for the new federal laws.

It seems to me that the Governor is an opportunistic and cunning person who doesn't have any real idea of _how_ to stop gun violence. He is merely slapping together his old bill with copy-cat legislation to follow NY and a NY governor who Deval Patrick will compete with in future presidential primaries. Deval Patrick merely wants to be able to say "no no, as Governor _I_ was the toughest on gun control".

What do Deval Patrick's personal political aspirations have to do with what is right for MA? I contend this haphazard feel-good legislation is a violation of my 2nd amendment rights and I will remember all who vote in favor of Deval Patrick's bill the next election cycle.

DEREK,
I suggest adding some kind of tag to the usernames of people who attend and people who do not. When we arrive we need to have a list of users who attended.
So people can be shamed for not attending.

Brilliant!! How wrong you are, Rasper, to assume that those not in attendance should be marked. You're just a newbie at this and wet behind the ears.

Derek, thanks for making this an important NES action. I'd be there if I could.

There is one key thing lacking. The infringement of private property. Force of sale of 10+ round magazines.

- - - Updated - - -

Brilliant!! How wrong you are, Rasper, to assume that those not in attendance should be marked. You're just a newbie at this and wet behind the ears.

Derek, thanks for making this an important NES action. I'd be there if I could.

No. I think that those who attended need to be marked. Because everyone like to bitch around but doesnt like to do shit.

Don't even think about getting into an altercation while carrying! You could be subject to 10 years in state prison just for having a gun on your person.

Or. equally likely, the threat of such will be used to coerce a guilty plea if it appears you are innocent and likely to beat the charge.

Note that prosecutors don't brag about how often they obtained the "just" verdict, but their conviction rate.

I am writing this letter to inform any elected official that votes for the "Act To Strengthen and Enhance Firearms Laws in the Commonwealth" will not get support or a vote from I or my family regardless of your political party affiliation. We have strict gun laws as it is and we are rated one of the best states in the nation with one of lowest amount of gun violence. while other states with tighter gun control have statistically higher gun violence rates. Furthermore if this law passes I will have no choice but to take my family, my business and my taxable income and assets to a state with more respect for individuals rights and the constitution of the united states of America.

Already sent my own letters, but will paraphase this in my next ones :)

I wouldn't threaten to move. I'd reword it. The wackos in this state WANT US TO MOVE, so that they can REALLY turn it into the peoples republic. They WANT you to simply GO AWAY. They don't care where, as long as you're not around THEM. Get out of (Cambridge/Boston/Worcester etc fill in the blank). And get out of the state too. Get out of the country too, so we can make it the TRUE BLEEDING HEART LIBERAL COUNTRY WE WANT IT TO BE, WITH CRIMINALS, RAPISTS, MURDERERS AND ILLEGAL ALIENS IN FULL CONTROL!!!..." (This is all said only half in jest! Think about it. This state is simply, pure and simple, F**KED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Back
Top Bottom