Armed Shell Clerk stops robbery, but loses job

I live near several of their stations. I will buy my gas elsewhere.

So are you going to call up every company you buy stuff from and boycott if they don't allow their employees to carry?

Have fun staying at home. [rofl]

-Mike

Two weeks from now everyone will have forgotten and the boycotters will return buying their gas, cigs, lottery tickets, and snacks and if they continue to boycott, so what? It's a business that relies on the fast turnaround, they don't need your business to stay in business.

Like others have said, this is standard in the industry and worse case scenario it's easier to pay off a widow than deal with a lawsuit esp if there are innocent bystanders shot as well. Your life is not worth much to much of corporate America especially in service industry type jobs.

Two weeks from now everyone will have forgotten and the boycotters will return buying their gas, cigs, lottery tickets, and snacks and if they continue to boycott, so what? It's a business that relies on the fast turnaround, they don't need your business to stay in business.

Yes, and they will laugh when the boycotter goes down the street to patronize another shop that does the same thing, or pays 30 cents more a gallon to buy at "Al's gas" where guns possibly maybe would be OK. [laugh]

Like others have said, this is standard in the industry and worse case scenario it's easier to pay off a widow than deal with a lawsuit esp if there are innocent bystanders shot as well. Your life is not worth much to much of corporate America especially in service industry type jobs.

The lawsuit stuff is probably all bullshit, most of those "no weapons" policies are made up by some holier than thou douche type getting paid to write legal garbage in company handbooks, and having a "no weapons" policy makes it look like the guy that wrote it is trying to insulate the company from risk, but whether it actually does or not, is a different story, but that's not going to stop someone from blowing smoke to make a paycheck while doing it.

This reminds me a little bit of a one time customer who was disappointed when I told her there was nothing I could do for her because her system was running OK, as if she expected me to invent something to bill her for. Some corporate lawyers probably work the same way- create bluster, bloviate, and suggest changes to handbooks to lard up billable hours. [laugh]

These policies will never change of course, as employees in such businesses are more or less disposable because there's some other smoe lined up to take his job the very next day.

-Mike

It's not about the $50 in the drawer, it's about the cashier's life that a robber is intending to end.

I completely agree. That is why I don't work in that industry anymore. I worked at the corp office for a chain. About 8 months ago a clerk was robbed gave them the money and was shot in the face just for fun. Not cool.

I completely agree. That is why I don't work in that industry anymore. I worked at the corp office for a chain. About 8 months ago a clerk was robbed gave them the money and was shot in the face just for fun. Not cool.

Well, this is why some people will always choose to carry even if it's against company policy. That clerk you mention may have ended up getting fired if they drew their CCW, but may be alive now, or at the very least not have a hole in their face! I personally will always take the risk of getting fired over getting fired on and being unarmed.

once had a shit security job ; firearms forbidden. concealed means concealed; carried a airweight s&w mod 37 [the lightest gun at the time] in a pocket holster. figured i was going to get canned anyway so i might as well take the bastard out on the way: then sue the company creating a hazardous workplace.

Nouria owns just about every Shell in Mass and NH Most of the NH ones got bought by Nouria in the last year and most of the clerks I talked to were not to happy about the new ownership and policys

183c7abaf8d57250aeb55a95ee195e67
The Man.

"I have a fiancee who I love very much, step-children I love, our first grandchild is due in December. Given the situation, and the way the man who tried to rob me was acting, I truly believe if I didn't defend myself I wasn't going to be coming home to see my family," said Cothran.

so the lesson here? shoot the bg, dump the body in the Merrimack river, go back to work?

From the Southern NH Emergency Alerts faceboo page https://www.facebook.com/SouthernNhEmegencyAlerts?ref=stream&hc_location=stream - NOTICE:: For all of you supporting my friend Bear, I just wanted to let you know there is going to be a protest of sorts at Shell at 2pm on Saturday October 19th. Go make a sign and support Bear Cothran.... ~Meg~

Just passin it on...
I just saw this on the news. What struck me about the interview was that Bear calmly explained that he knew it was against company policy, so he understood why he was fired. Looked like he had no ill will, but coolly stood up for himself and is handling the fallout like a man. He is Awesome. Please pass along my admiration.

Truly sad.
This guy should have gotten a raise, & instead they fire him.
I live about a mile away from this station, & already never go there.
Well I for one will be boycotting this & their other stores. (Their fuel isn't very cheap, and they never have 12 packs of Boston Lager anyway)..
I wish that I had enough work, I'd hire him. I don't just allow CCW, I encourage it!

BTW: You can tell you are at one of their stations by the 3 "fuel type " buttons on the pumps. Super is on the L. Cheap stuff is on the r. It's a scam to get folks that aren't paying attention to buy the more expensive fuels without realizing it..

Last edited:
The news said that Bear was disabled and can't drive. Not sure if anyone locally is hiring or could help with transportation/carpool? I'm south of Boston

Well, this is why some people will always choose to carry even if it's against company policy. That clerk you mention may have ended up getting fired if they drew their CCW, but may be alive now, or at the very least not have a hole in their face! I personally will always take the risk of getting fired over getting fired on and being unarmed.

This.

Back
Top Bottom