Armed Shell Clerk stops robbery, but loses job

I didn't say that. However, I can spend my fuel dollars at other gas stations. I like the smaller mom & pop stations anyway...usually cheaper, too.
at least mom and pop know how to run the register and do it without parallel texting, pop might be packin too.

Oh don't worry, we're on the same page - the policy sucks - but the clerk picked his life over his job. I say there's a win somewhere in this (and other) ****ed up situations.
the win is that an atty will sue the company when an unarmed clerk gets shot, bear proved a gun keeps you safe.

the win is that an atty will sue the company when an unarmed clerk gets shot, bear proved a gun keeps you safe.

The chances that requiring the clerk to be unarmed will be the basis of a successful suit are, as a matter of practicality, very slim - to the point where even getting contingency counsel to take the case would be a longshot. The defense will have no shortage of experts from the HR world testifying that "unarmed" is industry standard policy.

cumberland farms specifically has a policy where if the robber steals over a certain dollar amount, you lose your job.
Cumbys are designed with a back entrance to an observation area that can be entered by store security without anyone working in the store knowing they have done so. An interesting article regarding their interrogation policies may be found at: http://articles.philly.com/1990-08-01/news/25934004_1_cumberland-farms-cashiers-confessions

Last edited:
the shannon "bear" cothran fund by Chris Fowler - GoFundMe - "the shannon "bear" cothran fund". Also, the NRA shared a story about him on Facebook, posted 3 hours ago, 955 shares so far.

Note: http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/1018674-469/nashua-gas-station-clerk-halts-robbery-with.html# - shows him with his pistol - racked open, finger off the trigger.

Very nice article. Bear presents a perfect explanation and they printed it:

“I can find another job,” he said. “A paycheck’s a paycheck. I don’t really care where it comes from. I cannot justify in my mind trying to save my job at the risk of not ever seeing my family and friends again.”

One thing that opened my eyes WIDE is that he said he's got a grandkid on the way. Bear is only 29!!!!

re: the grandson - comments on various sources indicate that this is his wifes kid via a previous relationship who is having the kid and there is an age disparity of some kind. In any event, yea, thats pretty dam young to be a grandfather, no matter how it works out.

183c7abaf8d57250aeb55a95ee195e67
The Man.

This guy wins the "The Stand-Up ****ing Dude" award for this quarter. Not just because he defended himself, but because of how he responded afterward:
Cothran is taking it all in stride. He’s not angry at anyone — not even the Worcester-based Nouria Energy that fired him. In an era of self-declared victimhood and political finger-pointing, the one thing Bear Cothran refuses to do is pass the buck.

He “wasn’t surprised at all” by his firing, he says. “I was aware of (the no-gun) policy, and I knowingly chose to violate that policy, 
because I wanted to go home to my family.”

In other words, he’d rather be looking for a job than have his family looking for a funeral home.
- See more at: Gun-toting employee: No regrets ? | Boston Herald

Well, this is why some people will always choose to carry even if it's against company policy. That clerk you mention may have ended up getting fired if they drew their CCW, but may be alive now, or at the very least not have a hole in their face! I personally will always take the risk of getting fired over getting fired on and being unarmed.

I agree with you 110%. And I rather be fired then loose my life!
I'll find another job.

The business can have whatever policy it wants. The employee can follow it or not, as he sees fit, and accept the consequences of his action. I disagree with the company, and applaud the employee. He did what he felt necessary, and has been the epitome of class in accepting responsibility for his actions.

My point, however, is one I have yet to see addressed. Remember airline policy on 9/10? Notice a change on 9/12? Yes, non-resistance has its merits, but "don't fight back, avoid escalation" has gotten us to "shelter in place, Boston strong".

If you choose to stand idly by, you are at least as responsible for what happens as someone who participates.

4:48 The guy is on with Howie Carr, taking calls. Dude's got sense of humor. Howie says he'll get a better job making more money. Guy said "It'll be hard to make less!"

Last edited:
He was on Howie's show. Has vision issues that keep him from getting DL or joining military.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Back
Top Bottom