Are most flash hiders removable?

I'm looking at complete Uppers that have have flash hiders as opposed to muzzle brakes, and want to find out in advance if most are removable so I can replace it with something more MA friendly.

Sounds like they're not MA compliant uppers (whatever the f*** that means these days) and in that world I'd venture a guess that the flash hiders can be removed.

If it's a 14.5" barrel and doesn't have some warning about NFA it may be pinned. Otherwise I think it's safe to assume you will be able to remove it. Alternatively you could just email the company and ask them to be certain.

If it's a 14.5" barrel and doesn't have some warning about NFA it may be pinned. Otherwise I think it's safe to assume you will be able to remove it. Alternatively you could just email the company and ask them to be certain.
Basically this. Other than 14.5'' barrel or similar where it's permanently fixed to make the barrel length 16+ to avoid it being an SBR, I don't know of anyone that permanently attaches them. Stag Arms, as part of a compliance package, would pin and weld a compensator for certain states like MA (before they ceased all sales).

I waited too long to get an upper and now I'm having a hard time finding something legit, if anyone will even ship here anymore.

I waited too long to get an upper and now I'm having a hard time finding something legit, if anyone will even ship here anymore.

I think you need to try a little harder then.... It's really not that difficult. There are a few in the classifieds right now. I saw a half dozen uppers on the wall at MFS last night, and plenty of places will ship you a complete upper. I just bought a cheapo one a few weeks ago with no problems except for the QC department signing off on it even though the goddamn rail wasn't timed right and was visibly crooked and not in line with the receiver. Torqued to spec, sure, but Jesus, open your eyes you slackers! Anyway, some judicious wrenching fixed that.

There are also more than a few FFLs on here who will inbound you BCM or similar shit if you're too lazy to part it out and build your own.

BCM doesn't pin the 14.5 standalone uppers. They will pin and weld the 14.5 rifles.

Yes they do. I think recently BCM started offering their 14.5” uppers with unpinned A2s, but that wasn’t even an option when I bought mine before they stopped shipping to Mass. everything else is pinned. They don’t pin A2s cause they’re too short anyway.

Brownells has (backordered) a decent deal on their uppers, plus if you are on their mailing list a 10% off coupon that is in and out daily. (Some days they have it, some they don't. Today I think they did.) I paid $385 with BCG shipped the other day. . . . when they get in stock.

PSA would be nice if they shipped to MA. They can go pound sand. BC is nice but won't ship to MA AND got waaaaay too f'ing expensive in teh last decade. Damn. I remember when they were downright reasonable.

Good luck.

Brownells has (backordered) a decent deal on their uppers, plus if you are on their mailing list a 10% off coupon that is in and out daily. (Some days they have it, some they don't. Today I think they did.) I paid $385 with BCG shipped the other day. . . . when they get in stock.

PSA would be nice if they shipped to MA. They can go pound sand. BC is nice but won't ship to MA AND got waaaaay too f'ing expensive in teh last decade. Damn. I remember when they were downright reasonable.

Good luck.
With or without a barrel?

I think you need to try a little harder then.... It's really not that difficult. There are a few in the classifieds right now. I saw a half dozen uppers on the wall at MFS last night, and plenty of places will ship you a complete upper. I just bought a cheapo one a few weeks ago with no problems except for the QC department signing off on it even though the goddamn rail wasn't timed right and was visibly crooked and not in line with the receiver. Torqued to spec, sure, but Jesus, open your eyes you slackers! Anyway, some judicious wrenching fixed that.

There are also more than a few FFLs on here who will inbound you BCM or similar shit if you're too lazy to part it out and build your own.
This. Just got a DD upper delivered to my house no problems at all. Just check a their site as far as their policy on what they will and won’t ship.

With or without a barrel?

You can get both. The 16" 5.56 one I ordered from them was $279.99 complete with bcg and charging handle.

Their QC department is slacking though. This is the one that didn't have the properly timed handguard. I'll tell you how it shoots after I find suitable glass to put on it and have the pin and weld done for the comp. Otherwise it's unremarkable as an upper. No manufacturer's rollmark on the barrel that I could see, so not sure who manufactured it. The 12" m-lok handguard is from Foxtrot Mike. Overall it seems heavier than my .458 SOCOM upper, but that could be the barrel's construction. Handguard seems fairly light.

Rainier will pin and weld a muzzle device for you and ship it here. They sell a 14.5” BCM upper but it’s out of stock.

I've found that Rainier is stupidly overpriced. Brownells can be as well, but they occasionally have some really good deals. Midway USA usually has lower prices on most stuff.

It's like anything else, you have to shop around.

You can get both. The 16" 5.56 one I ordered from them was $279.99 complete with bcg and charging handle.

Their QC department is slacking though. This is the one that didn't have the properly timed handguard. I'll tell you how it shoots after I find suitable glass to put on it and have the pin and weld done for the comp. Otherwise it's unremarkable as an upper. No manufacturer's rollmark on the barrel that I could see, so not sure who manufactured it. The 12" m-lok handguard is from Foxtrot Mike. Overall it seems heavier than my .458 SOCOM upper, but that could be the barrel's construction. Handguard seems fairly light.

I paid $189 for an assembled Upper from Anderson minus the barrel. I want a Wilson Combat barrel at the minimum, maybe a Shilen in 204 Ruger, as I'm building this for competition.

I paid $189 for an assembled Upper from Anderson minus the barrel. I want a Wilson Combat barrel at the minimum, maybe a Shilen in 204 Ruger, as I'm building this for competition.

Rainier's barrels are outstanding. I have a 'match' 14.5" .223 Wylde 1:8 stainless barrel on a carbine build, and it's pretty sweet.

For 'competition' they have a 'ultramatch' line that looks amazing.

He means say, a 16” barrel with unpinned flash hider.

OP you can buy one and take it to a local shop to get it pinned/welded. But buying a 14.5” with pinned muzzle device is a good way as well.

But he just said he bought an assembled upper receiver without a barrel. An upper is not a gun, and it doesn't matter what device or threads or lack of pin and weld is on the barrel. If it's never put on a lower, it doesn't matter.

Only the gun can be non-compliant, the upper is part of that, but by itself it means nothing. I can buy an 10" barreled upper and not put it on a lower. That doesn't mean I now have an SBR or am violating the AWB with a >50oz pistol.

Back
Top Bottom