Are Appleseeds Dead?

I would like to see a "post-graduate" appleseed with it's main focus on the AR platform.
After all these are mostly what we will use in the upcoming insurrection...

They can be called ARppleseeds. [wink]

For Boris: AKleseed...

This would be a great idea. These kind of classes on the commercial market typically cost $200/day. This instruction for $75/weekend would be very popular.

My fundamental motivation for learning to shoot long is just that it is fun and its new to me.
Last month I took a Sig class and we worked our way out to 1000 yards. It was great. But I want more.

I have to tell you that part of my motivation is simple belligerence. If the antis are afraid of thousands of us with ARs, many of whom can't hit the broadside of a barn. (I saw a guy at the range this summer with his rear sight on backwards), imagine how frightened they'd be of thousands of us who can reach out 1000 yards.

I think a big reason why more Appleseed shooters never progress to Highpower is because people tell them there is too much gear to buy, too many rules, to much structure, etc..

If you review my previous post, I made the offer of all the gear for a shooter's first match, so don't let that be a determining factor.

Not everybody who tries it will continue, but I guarantee 100% will not continue if they never try it in the first place.

I just wanted to add that my first NRA high power match was a great experience thanks to people like Pat McD and the crew of regular shooters at Capitol city ! It was educational inviting and most of all it was fun!! I had my m1a and a limited amount of gear. Everyone was encouraging and friendly. Even when I messed up my partners score card I got a lesson along with a razzing.
So with a rifle a mat and some ammo I shot my first match and had a great time.

Are there any "Lowpower" rifle competitions that don't require something like a benchrest Anshutz?

Something like a rifle course from a 3-gun match, but for .22 would be pretty neat I think. A run 'n' gun rimfire rifle match basically.

Well, truth is, an organization can only do so much. Appleseed has its mission, train shooters, rekindle the rifleman heritage, and such.
Appleseed instructors can teach you "how to fish", so to speak, then it's up to you. How did the other discplines start? Maybe a bunch of
friends came up with a bunch of games.. Bowling pin shoots.. or timed courses, just to test and sharpen their skills, maybe add another level of difficulty, or heck, maybe even just for bragging rights to see who's best.

You could do this too.. come up with some safe and fun course ideas or events.. reactive targets or paper set at various distances..make it timed..
the choice is yours.. Maybe YOU could be known as the founder of the next hot shooting sport..

Another problem with organizations is that a few do the set-up and others expect to just show up for the fun. Events cannot exist if someone isn't willing to step up and make them happen..

Simply put, there are followers and there are leaders.. Which would YOU prefer to be?

I've been out of action with a little one this summer, but I'm hoping to get back to them this fall, even if just for the last Leyden one before snow flies.

As for location...If the MA dates don't work out for you, southern/central MA folks can hit up the CT ones, western MA folks can try Coxsackie or Saratoga, and northern MA folks would do well to try the NH or VT full-range shoots, regardless.

I for one won't be attending any Appleseeds in CT. My two LTRs have "flash suppressors" that I put on to protect the muzzles in case they get loaned out to a new shooter who sticks it in the dirt.

Nor will I attend one in NY for similar reasons.

Last edited:
I would like to see a "post-graduate" appleseed with it's main focus on the AR platform.

Well you could take on an instructors hat..and get an invite to the Instructors KD course in Dalton NH that's held every year or two.. Then you can bring the big-boy toys out to shoot the FULL RANGE course.. 100..200..300..and 400 yds.. And there's the added difficulty of having to hike up the mountainside to check targets.. Would that be enough of a challenge..

Last edited:
I really hope to attend one someday. I need to get a suitable .22 rifle first...or a couple suitable .22's because I think my gf would enjoy it as well.

I for one won't be attending any Appleseeds in CT. My two LTRs have "flash suppressors" that I put on to protect the muzzles in case they get loaned out to a new shooter who sticks it in the dirt.

Nor will I attend one in NY for similar reasons.

I don't see why that is a problem. The CT law is the same as the MA law when it comes to AWs and rimfires. And no mag restrictions for range use.

p.m. me if you want all the gory details.

The summary is that the revision to PA 13-3 allowed 2 evil features on a rimfire gun. The same as the original Federal AWB and the same as MA.

Don

Last edited:
I don't see why that is a problem. The CT law is the same as the MA law when it comes to AWs and rimfires. And no mag restrictions for range use.

p.m. me if you want all the gory details.

The summary is that the revision to PA 13-3 allowed 2 evil features on a rimfire gun. The same as the original Federal AWB and the same as MA.

Don

Thanks for the info regarding CT.

One other thing you will want is a shooting mat of some sort. A cheap foam sleeping pad from EMS would suffice (its what I used).

+1 to that.. or the equivalent Wal-mart pad..in sporting goods.. IIRC under $10... makes a huge difference in comfort

appleseed, .NRA, CMP

If your interested in learning and want a good atmosphere you cant go wrong with a appleseed event. If appleseed events are not in your area take a look for cmp shoots/matches or NRA highpower clinics. Don't worry about "equipment" it will come if you catch the bug. I have yet attended any match/shoot where you could not find the gear you "need".
There are cmp events that all you need is eye and ear protection and cash.
Pembroke mass old colony runs a cmp clinic/match once a month very nice club rifles and ammo.
So noxmatter what check and look locally for any of these events. NEW SHOOTERS ARE WELCOME AND NEEDED FOR ANY OF THESE EVENTS TO SURVIVE.

Ben,

You want to have 5 mags ideally, although 4 will work. The longest string of fire requires 4 mags. But I like to have a spare. By the end of the day, when you are actually shooting for score, any 10/22 with a custom barrel and a Bentz chamber is going to be dirty and reliability can suffer. I have eliminated the problem by cleaning the chamber during lunch, but I usually forget.

So if for whatever reason, yo have a problem, the 5th mag can help you save a score and minimize annoyance.

Re mats. I bought the better of the 2 midway mats and am very happy. It is overall pretty cheap. Its called the Pro Series and its $50

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/27...-shooting-mat-pvc-coated-polyester-olive-drab

Shipping can be a little stiff. I waited until it was on sale for $32 before I pulled the trigger on two of them. I just checked my midway account. With shipping, the two mats cost me $97.85. Not bad for 2 very nice shooting mats.

I actually put off getting a matt for years. I had some carpet I used. It was actually very nice in the sun because it was a light color and didn't get hot.

Don

Mats... I bought the midway cheapy....... was not worth the cost of shipping. I then snagged the better mat when they where on sale as mentioned above.
They where ok. I still didnt like them. I was able to sell both and recover my cost. I then bough this
http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=700U I like it. It doesnt get hot like the pcv and vinyl ones. I have yet to lay on it long enough for water to seap through( i think it has a water proof membrane in it? It also sheds water nice. The no slip rubber really works even when rained on.
Before buying a mat I used a piece of out door carpet. worked well enough but was heavy and a bit slick on the elbows

SCOPES- they are nice to have you do not need a lot of magnification. The big seller on me was eye relief. so many spotting scopes you cant see into the eye piece with out lifting your glasses. I found the Konus to have some of the better eye relief with out spending a small fortune under 300$. The Kowa scopes with the long eye relief are very nice....i hated looking through them....makes me want to spend money i dont have!

Scope Stands.... you really need the pole style stands the tri pods are useless for position shooting.
I happen to have the creedmore polecat and head set up. little $$$ but i like it and dont regret it. You folks with access to shops and material could easily build a pole stand. the "head" can be made also.

equipment will come. If you get into it. There are deals to be found if you go to enough matches. Guys are updating or moving on to other things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mac,

I looked at that mat and dismissed it because the pad where I put my elbows was black. Are you saying that the black didn't get hot?

I wish they made the whole mat the color of the area without the extra padding.

Mac,

I looked at that mat and dismissed it because the pad where I put my elbows was black. Are you saying that the black didn't get hot?

I wish they made the whole mat the color of the area without the extra padding.
I use a coat or at least long sleeve shirt....the days of t shirt shooting are over for me.
When I mean hot is when I was laying on top of that pvc midway mat the sun/ heat just bounced back at you. Laying on the line in hot humid weather you don't need it radiating back at you. You can get one with out the rubber pads
http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=700JR
I would recommend at least a light canvas shooting jacket.
Simular to this https://sites.google.com/site/madebymcron/home or the USMC style jackets. I used a hand down old 10x canvas jacket for a few years. Gent who gave it to me retired it in the 80s! Icthen found a good deal on this used in great shape. http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=220N32 also a decent heavy fingerless glove for your support hand to keep the sling from digging and helps also.

Ask me 10 yrs ago if I would buy any of this stuff......no would be a likely answer.
As you try things you find what works for you and your comfort/shooting level.
I know I did..

Last edited:
Does anyone have a Winterseed patch?

View attachment 14937

They did a couple of Appleseeds in Dec and Jan and gave out an Appleseed patch with icicles running down it. I tried to get my wife to go as a day together, she gave me a Go F yourself look

Here's a thread on one in NH a 3 years ago:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/117663-2011-NH-WINTERSEEDS

Nope, I'd like to get one, though. And I should have a "long distance" or similar rocker, but they didn't have any at the Dalton, NH event I attended.

I would attend one of these in a hearbeat.

That's pretty cool . I thought with a Appleseed it's like you do it one time and that's it ?

Nope. got patches at 2 of the 5 I've attended. My wife and daughter also got pink "shoot like a girl, if you can" hats.

The other warm weather gear suggestion is an EZ-UP for shade (or rain deflection). We used wally world yoga mats to lay on with a piece of neutral-colored carpet on top.

Also bring a seat, lots of water, and advil. If you listen, you will become a better shooter. An open mind is your most important piece of gear.

The 'advanced' pieces of the course I could sure use some help with is in regards to windage and bullet drop at distance.

Why not go to a NRA/CMP service rifle clinic or match. ?

Where is the nearest Appleseed held which goes out to an actual 600 yards?

The talk of .22 rifle selection reminds me that my biggest turnoff to participating in Appleseed shoots since moving to New England is that the fundamental premise -- learning 600 yard riflemanship -- is sidestepped.

I was a 600 yard shooter in the desert (with Appleseeds held at our range), so of course I understand smaller targets at shorter distances are *similar* to 600 yards, but... telling that to Appleseed students and giving them the confidence to shoot at 600 yards in an effective caliber are two different things entirely.

We do them at Jericho (northern VT) on occasion, at Dalton, NH, on occasion (out to 400), and there's a KD clinic for instructors every year (typically also Dalton, NH).
The primary reason most Appleseed here is at shorter distances is range availability. Some clubs (e.g. Leyden) have the facilities to shoot at 1-200 yards, where a .22 will teach you a lot about drop and wind, and the Leyden shoots always include shooting KD for anyone who's grouping acceptably (<8 MOA) at 25M. Harvard's longer-ranges are restricted to qualified club members.

If you know of a club in the Northeast that would be willing to host a KD Appleseed, put us in touch with them ([email protected], [email protected], etc as appropriate). We'd love to make it happen.

If there are a bunch of people interested, let me know and I'll see if I can put something together. There are enough AS instructors around who know their way around ARs, and there's probably enough material to adapt into a practical 1-Day.

We do them at Jericho (northern VT) on occasion, at Dalton, NH, on occasion (out to 400), and there's a KD clinic for instructors every year (typically also Dalton, NH).
The primary reason most Appleseed here is at shorter distances is range availability. Some clubs (e.g. Leyden) have the facilities to shoot at 1-200 yards, where a .22 will teach you a lot about drop and wind, and the Leyden shoots always include shooting KD for anyone who's grouping acceptably (<8 MOA) at 25M. Harvard's longer-ranges are restricted to qualified club members.

If you know of a club in the Northeast that would be willing to host a KD Appleseed, put us in touch with them ([email protected], [email protected], etc as appropriate). We'd love to make it happen.

If there are a bunch of people interested, let me know and I'll see if I can put something together. There are enough AS instructors around who know their way around ARs, and there's probably enough material to adapt into a practical 1-Day.

IN.

Back
Top Bottom