• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR question for a newbie

Building your own will save you the 11% Federal tax that is charged on Long Guns (as long as you don't order the parts all at once).

meh, that's just one of many factors. Most things cost more when you buy them part by part.

consider that Four Season's has the M&P 15 20% off MSRP for $819

Edit: their sport ver. is $640

Last edited:
meh, that's just one of many factors. Most things cost more when you buy them part by part.

consider that Four Season's has the M&P 15 20% off MSRP for $819

Edit: their sport ver. is $640

True, it does usually cost a bit more, but that is because you will likely choose better individual components than what would come on a factory assembled gun. There are many advantages that outweigh the slightly higher cost though. It is an easy gun to assemble yourself which gives you great familiarity with everything that makes it tick, piecing it together also allows you to build in stages when you otherwise couldn't afford a whole rifle. That was my situation, and after spending over a year reading and researching the platform, I knew what I wanted for components, so I just started buying parts as I found good deals, or just had the cash. It took me a couple of months, but I ended with a top notch rifle with the best parts that I could have never afforded to buy otherwise. I even built it a removable carry handle sight at first which I ran for a couple of months until I could afford an Eotech.[smile]

Doesn't the OP also have to worry about commercial or MILSPEC buffer tubes?

No, that only comes into play when he is deciding on a butt stock....

So, in other words, yes, because everyone has to decide on a butt stock, right?

Building your own will save you the 11% Federal tax that is charged on Long Guns (as long as you don't order the parts all at once).

You can avoid the tax if you order the lower first then the upper second. Or vice versa. The proper tools required to build just a single AR will cost you more than if you bought a completed upper and a completed lower and slapped them together. On the other hand, if you find that you've got black rifle fever then the tools will pay themselves off in no time.

Hadn't even thought of the tax. That's a different angle. Buying used parts from individuals also avoids the tax issues.

We had a problem with 25 units it was a machine program problem. I have pulled those units and the last run is OK without problem.
The too tight 25 units have been scrapped and the new units are available. Hco. 2/2 cav I will replace the lower you have with one of the new ones if you want.
John

Cant, took the dremmel to it and it is a 2.5 hours round trip for me.

Im not a AR15 expert, but from what i have been told Its all good as long as what you buy is for the same model as yours, basically if its a carbine length rifle you would need a carbine length gas tube in your build, you can buy it from any one but it has to be that length or it wont fit, same a for quad rails.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom