• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR Optics

There is a scope review thread on Arfcom that I won't paste here to piss off the mods but it is extremely detailed and covers almost all available 1x+ scopes on the market. The key to any equipment is if it serves your purpose at the price you are willing to pay. At $400 and given the stated use, I would go with the AimPoint every time over any available $400 1-4x. The AimPoint is rugged, has great battery life, excellent eye box, day time visible, the clearest glass you will get at this price point, and if you decide to upgrade it will hold its value. No other optic at that price point ticks all of those boxes.

Don't paste the text but please do paste a link to the arfcom thread.

Sell a $1000 worth of stuff and get a Vortex Razr 1-6 with the JM-1. It will be worth it in the long run

Although I didn't get a vortex this is what I did. Sold off stuff I just don't need or use over the past year. Saved up 1200$ for optics and rings. Scope I liked went on sale as did the mount so I got the pair for just under 1k. Now I have 200$ or so to play with. Might go with a lower end vortex for range fun only. If the kids wreck it back to vortex it goes.

Sell a $1000 worth of stuff and get a Vortex Razr 1-6 with the JM-1. It will be worth it in the long run

I like that reticle and the G4 I wish they had that reticle in the high magX scopes.
Only thing I don't like about vortex is lack of custom reticles.

The JM center dot is .5 moa on 6x which is not to bad and could work really well for high power competition

I've been looking in to AR optics recently too, and think I landed on the Vortex 1x spitfire ($280). I liked that it has an etched reticle so if your battery craps out it you can still use it with some effectiveness. They make a 3x spitfire also, but i'm not sure if it also has the etched reticle.
Haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, anybody have experience with one of those?

I use an ACOG TA31H. I've had no issues shooting on the move at ranges from right next to the target to 200 yards. I've done carbine classes, variations of drills etc. no issues. You have to do the bindon both eyes open thing. I know it's not for everyone but I love it. I had an EOTECH. I didn't care for it. If you're going to red dot it no magnification go Aimpoint

I have run a PA Advanced Micro Dot into the ground, and it is still going strong. I'm not a SHTF kind of guy, I just train a lot, and I do gun things at work. It works, and I'd put it on other guns. I'm also running a Vortex Crossfire ii which I LOVE. It was really my first dive into a 1-4x for having 'one gun to rule them all'. I really dig it. I haven't beat on it anywhere nearly as hard as the PA, but I haven't had it as long either. The PA 1-6 was garbage. I had one for about a month and sold it. I also tried the Bushnell 1-4 PCL, which was also a steaming turd imo.

I have run a PA Advanced Micro Dot into the ground, and it is still going strong. I'm not a SHTF kind of guy, I just train a lot, and I do gun things at work. It works, and I'd put it on other guns. I'm also running a Vortex Crossfire ii which I LOVE. It was really my first dive into a 1-4x for having 'one gun to rule them all'. I really dig it. I haven't beat on it anywhere nearly as hard as the PA, but I haven't had it as long either. The PA 1-6 was garbage. I had one for about a month and sold it. I also tried the Bushnell 1-4 PCL, which was also a steaming turd imo.

On the flip side, I've seen two PA micro dots fail in 6 & ~100 rounds. The red led became unglued or unstuck or whatever on both. QC is expensive.

I have two Bushnell micro dots and they are fine but the dot is not bright enough. Half as bright as the M3.

I have to say this PA red dot had done me well and still ticks on. Not the best "DOT" to look at but has been flawless in 3 years , Has held zero since new , actually bought the same one for my BCM. few thousand rounds and it comes off and on a lot.I do want the Aimpoint but for the $ and for what this one has done for me im not sure i'll look for one anytime soon. And im not saying this is a PA vs Aimpoint because they are obviously not in the same catagory

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I've been looking in to AR optics recently too, and think I landed on the Vortex 1x spitfire ($280). I liked that it has an etched reticle so if your battery craps out it you can still use it with some effectiveness. They make a 3x spitfire also, but i'm not sure if it also has the etched reticle.
Haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, anybody have experience with one of those?

I have the Spitfire 3X. The reticle is etched directly onto the prism, and there are five illumination settings in both red and green, for a total of 11 looks (no illumination, 5 red and 5 green). It's fixed at 3x, so it takes a little getting used to, but I like mine a lot.

Look around for deals. I got my 3x new for $219...

How are you eyes? A red dot should be fine to 200 if you can see well enough. I just got a Vortex SPARC and its pretty sweet.

How are you eyes? A red dot should be fine to 200 if you can see well enough. I just got a Vortex SPARC and its pretty sweet.

This statement is true, but assumes that no target discrimination will ever be required. I talk to guys all day long who loved their red dots "out to ### yards"...until the day they actually tried to see whether or not the shot should be made. This goes for hunters and LE guys both - not hard to hit something far away with an RDS, but it is really damn tough to see what's in their hands (or how many horns they have).

OP, I'd try both. Aimpoint PRO or ACO will be a great starter RDS, and I'd try a 1-6 or a 2.5-10 or the like for a magnified scope. Vortex is great for price/features and warranty, if you want something you'll use forever, I'd look a little farther.

Trijicon SRS fit my shooting style and desire for CQC situations the best.....I know it's outside your price range, but it's one heck of reflex scope that is parallax free and can take any punishment you throw at it.

On the flip side, I've seen two PA micro dots fail in 6 & ~100 rounds. The red led became unglued or unstuck or whatever on both. QC is expensive.

I have two Bushnell micro dots and they are fine but the dot is not bright enough. Half as bright as the M3.

Obviously everything we post here is anecdotal. I've run at least 6 or 7 different PA products, and never had an issue for a training/range gun.

Obviously everything we post here is anecdotal. I've run at least 6 or 7 different PA products, and never had an issue for a training/range gun.

Obviously but part of what you pay for with more expensive optics is quality control to minimize the possibility of duds. After several duds in a row I sour on a brand.

WRT Vortex, their warranty & CS are top notch. The glass quality and build aren't though: SWFA has them beat at a slightly higher price point. I have been extremely happy with the last few SWFA purchases that I have made, albeit in the $700-1,000 price range not the $400 price point of the OP.

I have several AimPoint M3's and may be selling one soon simply because that upper will be used for USPSA and I need more FOV and faster target acquisition than the M3 offers. I wanted to buy the Vortex Venom but it is so small so I am trying a $30 RDS to see how it holds up (and at that price point its basically disposable). Will update as I beat the shit out of it.

This statement is true, but assumes that no target discrimination will ever be required. I talk to guys all day long who loved their red dots "out to ### yards"...until the day they actually tried to see whether or not the shot should be made. This goes for hunters and LE guys both - not hard to hit something far away with an RDS, but it is really damn tough to see what's in their hands (or how many horns they have).

So non-magnified red-dot sights don't magnify? You don't say!

For speed at CQB distances it is tough to beat a red dot. I have two PA micro dots and they work well. Would they survive a 10' drop on to concrete or being submerged in the ocean for 2 hours? Probably not. But for range use, and frankly for home defense, they do their job.

However, for versatility (particularly if you plan to shoot out to 200 yards) it is very tough to beat a 1x4 or 1x6 scope. SWFA makes a pretty nice 1x4 model that I have on two of my guns. The glass will not be as clear and bright as a $1000 scope, but again I think they are a quality product and, at least on one of my rifles, I have put 3000+ rounds downrange using this scope with 0 issues.

What did you decide?

Also anyone know who is having a sale on the Aimpoint Pro? I'm looking for another, yet I cannot find any deals.

LA Police Gear is listing at 424. With a 10% coupon code it comes to 385 shipped. If interested PM me and Ill send you my code. I think its a one time use code.

I got mine for 360 shipped but i had a 15% off coupon code from a friend. Ill see if he has anymore.

Back
Top Bottom