AR Collapsible Stock to "Adjustable" Stock?

chris_1001

NES Member
OK, In my other thread it seems making a fixed one into an "adjustable" one might be a pain...

Sooooo.... What if I get a collapsible one and then add some sort of tool required feature... Say a screw (tamper resistant torx, maybe?) or a drift pin?

Would this be legal? I figure if I wanted a different stock, but could only get a collapsible one and then made it fixed via tool needed adjustable I'd be OK?

I am not a lawyer but you may need one soon. IIRC, you can't do these types of things. Someone will come along and ask that you use search feature to get your answer. Good luck.

I won't ask that you use the search feature...although you should because this has been beaten like a dead horse.

There is pretty much NO difference between adjustable and collapsible...well not a difference that I am willing to be the guinea pig to define.

So the problem is this: I have seen many subjects on this topic [horse]

To provide them here, I have seen a few other devices as well that make modifications to the AR-15, and claim to "take that extra point away" from being considered evil. Three of the prominent types of devices are as follows:

Bullet Button

Bullet Button
The Bullet Button is a product that allows the shooter to drop a magazine with the use of a tool. It prevents finger manipulation of the mag release, and creates a condition allowable under current individual interpretations of California law.

470.jpg

Fine Print:
The Bullet Button has not yet been approved by the California DOJ.

The MONSTER Grip

If you live in California and have an off-list lower receiver for an AR-style rifle, you can have a detachable magazine if you use a MonsterMan Grip. The MonsterMan Grip is the best tactical solution for your rifle. The MonsterMan Grip is not a "Pistol Grip" as defined by the CA-DOJ regulations.

56_4_.jpg

Fine Print:
The MonsterMan Grip is not CA-DOJ approved or disapproved.

U15 Stock

When the U15 rifle stock is attached to a rifle that does not have a flash hider, and does not have a forward (vertical) grip under the hand guard, the rifle is not an assault weapon and it may use detachable magazines.

Muzzle Brakes are okay. Click here to see how to identify a Muzzle Brake vs. Flash Hider.

riflesthumb.jpg

Here is the point: Do you have unlimited funds, an unbelievable team of lawyers, and the willingness to go to jail for some time while you appeal the convictions as a violation of your Second Amendment rights?

You may go a lifetime without getting jammed up with the law, and have your pinned "adjustable" stock. The issue is that, and it more than likely will not be at the range, but maybe a challenge to your LTC due to say, a speeding ticket... That they come to take them away and note the "evil" features...

The other thing that has not been mentioned is the BATFE "Constructive Intent" Clause. Usually, this is reserved for their cases where say, you have a Short Barreled Upper and you do not own any registered lowers. There you are in court, and they have your AR-15 collection on display and the shorty upper and they have one of their technicians unpin a long barreled upper and slap on the shorty. Have a nice day, and you are fried.

Similarly, I have not heard of any Constructive Intent cases in MA, but... I can see if you were again in court with your AR-15 collection on display. And a technician takes off your "pin" to make the stock collapsible. Then, say you had the Monster Grip above attached as well, but you had several fire control and lower kits in your possession: They the technician takes an allen wrench and remove that Monster Grip and proceeds to slap on a pistol grip... The Jury will be drooling as to how those "evil" features were able to be made in under 60 seconds: These guys can field strip and AR like the best of them and show that you could cause mayhem in seconds!

Again... Do I think this sucks... HELL YES. Do I think this is ridiculous and does not make a weapon any more dangerous... HELL YES. However... Do I want to spend my life savings...loose a few years of my life...and will never own firearms again... HELL NO...

The point is: Adjustable / Collapsible is all subjective, regardless of whether or not a tool is required to make said adjustments. Just as the thumb-hole stock was upheld as a pistol grip by the BATFE, there is near certainty that you will suffer the same fate.

IMO... You want to be sure that you are not going to get jammed up, ask the BAFTE for a ruling on your configuration. If they say that this is NOT an adjustable stock given your specifications (and be aware, you may have to send that to them for inspection to make the ruling), you would be served to place that letter in a safety deposit box for when the SHTF. [wink]

Last edited:
When I looked I did not see the info I was looking for (i.e. search).

I figured I have seen welded and pined stocks over the years as a way for people to get that "assault weapon" look on say a mini-14 or even a Ruger 10/22. So I thought I could pin a stock so that I could find a comfortable shooting position, or even simply a different stock that I like that collapses that I would render inoperable.

There are a lot of adjustable target stocks on the market.

And this one is fixed, but adjustable...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/LargeImage.aspx?sku=ARR-180

I figure all my shooting with this will be tatget, why not set it up right?

If tool adjustment = collapsible, then I would never do it. I just wanted to know and move on...

For what its worth that same stock is on one of my guns. Ill worry when the stock police come, or the extraordinary league of internet lawyers come prosecute me. [smile]

Don't shoot anyone with it, and you won't have a problem! [wink]

Back
Top Bottom