AR Bolt Carrier Stuck

I honestly wouldnt go any further in my detective work until my rifle did that with brass ammo......Try didfferent brands of steel cased ammo and find one that works....then have fun.

I honestly wouldnt go any further in my detective work until my rifle did that with brass ammo......Try didfferent brands of steel cased ammo and find one that works....then have fun.

I wouldn't call properly checking headspace "detective work" so much as simple due diligence. Build it right and it will shoot any in spec ammo.

Build it right and it will shoot any in spec ammo.

Thats just not true though, I have seen $2k/top-tier rifles (LMT, Noveske, BCM etc) jam up on steel. You are right though, checking headspace is not a big deal, and should have been done in the first place. I just firmly believe it is most likely a tight chamber and related to the poor characteristics of steel cased ammo. I'd bet his headspacing is AOK already, but we will see in due time.

Thats just not true though, I have seen $2k/top-tier rifles (LMT, Noveske, BCM etc) jam up on steel. You are right though, checking headspace is not a big deal, and should have been done in the first place. I just firmly believe it is most likely a tight chamber and related to the poor characteristics of steel cased ammo. I'd bet his headspacing is AOK already, but we will see in due time.

You will note that I said "in spec" ammo. Shitty ammo is by definition not included in that description. Drop a few into a case gauge and you'll see what I mean.

You will note that I said "in spec" ammo. Shitty ammo is by definition not included in that description. Drop a few into a case gauge and you'll see what I mean.

Oh my bad didnt even catch onto that. I was going with the fact that the OP locked up on steel cased shitty (presumably) ammo.

Well that exploded quickly....

My go/no-go gauges are due in on Thursday... I'll update the thread by Friday w/ results.

Well that exploded quickly....

My go/no-go gauges are due in on Thursday... I'll update the thread by Friday w/ results.

What kind of gauges did you end up buying?

Per jasons recommendation, I bought my set of Forster gauges, and they are great. Best thing I ever bought. With these you don't even need to take apart the BCG.

Nice, I am sure they will do the job just fine.

After you check it, let us know how you make out.

Close on a go gauge, and not close on a no go gauge. That's pretty much it.

It's funny you ask about the brass. I noticed this too and went to re-check some of the brass I took from the range. The brass didn't have any signs of blotchyness on the case sides, but a few looked had some witness marks from where the ejector contacts the case. One of the pieces had a missing primer, but I have no way of telling if it's one of mine, or one of the guys that were shooting ARs around me.

Edit: it's chambered in Wylde.

Change your extractor with a new BCM one. If the current extractor is shaving brass off the lip it could be the culprit of your bolt/case jam.

Change your extractor with a new BCM one. If the current extractor is shaving brass off the lip it could be the culprit of your bolt/case jam.

I'll keep it in mind. Pending how the headspace inspection goes I'm going to look at swapping the buffer tube / spring assy (I have a spare and a know good one in my other AR), then maybe I'll swap the BCG with the one from my working AR... then I'll start buying parts. Hopefully it doesn't get there though...

UPDATE: Go / No-Go gauges came in. I just checked head space and all is well. The Go Gauge drops in and everything closes up fine, I can't close the bolt on the No-Go gauge.

Like I said earlier. Your rifle is fine. It is steel cased ammo, regardless of anyone scoffing a good/working rifle should fire everything. Try other brands of steel cased so you can find one that works and target shoot on the cheap. You barrel most likely just was built to tighter tolerances if that will give you ease of mind.

Last edited:
^^I havnt read the thread you linked and dont have time to right now.

You mention you have a Wylde (no a wylde is not "tighter" than normal, but some barrels are manufactured to tighter specs than others) chamber so I assume you only load .223 into your rifle and not 5.56 correct (even when cycling magazines)?

Have you shot only one brand of steel cased ammo or have you switched it up? Most certainly try shooting brass and make sure it dosnt happen since you wrote you have yet to do so.

No, I think I did 2 types of steel, and also brass, but not since the cleanup. I think the one in question right now is the WPA steel case, which at least doesn't have the lacquer. I just wish I could get this thing in front of about 10 of you, and have some people who know what they are doing see what's what. I still haven't ruled out magazine problems either.

Ill shoot it at the 200 sportsman if your close

I have wolf, wpa military classic, and golden tiger if you wanna experiment with steel (plenty of brass too, but im saving that [wink]).

Edit, think I have a case of herters laying around too.

Last edited:
I guess I'll see you tomorrow.
see: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...7392-ar-bolt-carrier-stuck-2.html#post3366325

"Wolo" has also offered to come help out. I guess he is also heading to Bob's and lives nearby the 200.
see: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...wont-close-go-gauge-now-what.html#post3366606

Wanna meet at Bob's at 10:15 or so?

Good to meet you guys and shoot some today. Glad we were able to get your extractor doing its thing too. Only bad part about the whole day is that now I need to buy an ACOG. [smile]

Good to meet you guys and shoot some today. Glad we were able to get your extractor doing its thing too. Only bad part about the whole day is that now I need to buy an ACOG. [smile]

Good to meet you guys too! Sorry I let you try the ACOG (and maybe a Mod-0 for a future build!!) [laugh]

Here are some pics of us shooting my AR @ 100 meters (Coyote33, you actually filmed me so I had to use one from another day).

wolo

t8dv.jpg

Coyote33

56dh.jpg

Me

fn9r.png

Last edited:
Thanks for soiling up my thread with gun pics!! [rofl]

Any pics of this "donut o-ring"? I'm pretty sure my extractor spring has nothing of the sort.

Edit: Post 42 shows all of my extractor hardware.

OK, I got the stuck casing out:

View attachment 75089

I inspected the ejector and it looks like it's in pretty good shape:

View attachment 75095

While disassembling the ejector assembly I noticed some plastic snubber in the ejector spring (shown in picture with red arrow). Has anyone seen one of these? I checked my other AR, which didn't have one, and since this BCG's ejector seemed "tight" I removed the snubber. It now feels similar to my other AR's.

View attachment 75096

Last edited:
Thanks for soiling up my thread with gun pics!! [rofl]

Any pics of this "donut o-ring"? I'm pretty sure my extractor spring has nothing of the sort.

Edit: Post 42 shows all of my extractor hardware.

Sorry about cloggin the thread. It was the Crane Ind O-Ring (Mil-Spec).
You can buy an upgrade kit here: BCM SOPMOD Bolt Upgrade/Rebuild Kit if you need one ever.

Here is the o-ring:

5u78.jpg

yea... my BCG doesn't have any O-ring in the extractor assembly. Where's that sit, around the spring assembly?

Last edited:
yea... my BCG doesn't have any O-ring in the extractor assembly. Where's that sit, around the spring assembly?

I should clarify...you dont need the oring for proper functioning it helps if you have a weak spring. Coyotes bolt definitely did need it though. Im walking my dog right now but will show where it goes when home.

Last edited:
So, a heavier spring would also have helped instead of the "donut" o-ring? Does that spring just go weak over time or from usage?

Some springs are built heavier than others. Most of the high-end AR manufactures use a 5-coil spring with a black insert for the extractor; this is usually sufficient, but the o-ring can be added if additional tension is needed. The smaller springs (4-coil, IIRC) that most commercial manufacturers use don't have as much tension and may or may not cause extraction failures. If you can move your extractor with your bare fingers and minimal effort, you probably should toss in a heavier spring.

Coyote33 there are a few fixes. That donut is quick and easy. I personally run wolfe springs in my guns, and typically don't need optional upgrades.

(aint it fun meeting Sir Gwain in person? He looks nothing like his avatar. lol.) Gwain, I'm glad you are putting them ar parts to use.

Coyote33 there are a few fixes. That donut is quick and easy. I personally run wolfe springs in my guns, and typically don't need optional upgrades.

(aint it fun meeting Sir Gwain in person? He looks nothing like his avatar. lol.) Gwain, I'm glad you are putting them ar parts to use.

You dont look like yours either [laugh]
I bet 99% of the members here have no idea who my avatar is of.

Last edited:
lol nice

And for any wondering. My Avatar is of Jess Monson. He is an ass shat when it comes to his beliefs on our country, but he is a good fighter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom