AR Bolt Carrier Stuck

After fixing a gas system issue on my latest build I took it to the range to make sure it was cycling. After about 100 rounds of Remington brass cased and Silver Bear plated steel, I decided to try some wolf ammo I had with me. After shooting a few rounds my bolt carrier group is now locked in the forward position and I can't break it free. Anyone have any tips? I've tried slamming the butt stock on my would table while pulling the charge handle, but it didn't free.

Here are some picks of the jam. I was able to use the forward assist to get the upper off the lower. The last pic shows a few of the wolf FTFs I saw before it locked forward.

Jam1.jpg Jam2.jpg Jam3.jpg jam4.jpg

So a spent steel shell is still inside the barrel? That happened to my Stag model three with using the Herters stuff. I just had to spray some breakfree and rem oil down the barrel and then used a cleaning rod to pop it out. If you can take the whole thing apart I would do so and try just soaking it in a ziplock bag for a day and see if it breaks loose!

Charles.

It's soaking in oil right now. I'm not sure if a case is stuck, I loaded 2 in the magazine, shot 1 and the other was in the magazine still. I didn't notice if the case flew out after I shot it. Looking at image 2 it almost looks like the firing pin retainer (little cotter pin) is too recessed, but I have a hard time believing it would shake that way from firing?

The cotter pin looks normal to me, I don't think that's it.

There is probably still a case in there, binding it all up. Shine a light down the barrel, and see if you can see anything? Maybe use a rod of some sort, and try and push from the barrel end, while pulling rearward on the charging handle?

It's soaking in oil right now. I'm not sure if a case is stuck, I loaded 2 in the magazine, shot 1 and the other was in the magazine still. I didn't notice if the case flew out after I shot it. Looking at image 2 it almost looks like the firing pin retainer (little cotter pin) is too recessed, but I have a hard time believing it would shake that way from firing?

Only two in the magazine, what fuddery range where you at. [rofl] Seriously though you will have to get it free to see what happened. There could be a few things that doesn't even have to do with a steel case, but yet it could be part of the case ripped off and stayed in there. Too bad you didn't see the first round eject and could've inspected that. I hope you get that fixed or it will be an expensive paper weight! Oh and was any of the parts from any of the group buys on here, could be a heads up for people to inspect their stuff!

Charles.

I couldn't see crap down the barrel with my flashlight, I'm going to try again when it's light out and I can see better. I tried whacking it out with a hammer and by cleaning rod... I bent the cleaning rod, so that sucker's in there good.

Only two in the magazine, what fuddery range where you at. [rofl] Seriously though you will have to get it free to see what happened. There could be a few things that doesn't even have to do with a steel case, but yet it could be part of the case ripped off and stayed in there. Too bad you didn't see the first round eject and could've inspected that. I hope you get that fixed or it will be an expensive paper weight! Oh and was any of the parts from any of the group buys on here, could be a heads up for people to inspect their stuff!

Charles.

I inspected the first ten rounds of remington / silver bear, everything looked good. I also cycled some of this wold through my other AR... it ate it like a champ. I was only running 2 because I was making sure it would feed the wolf garbage.

All of the parts were from group buys! [rofl]

ESS Barrel, LRB Upper, Boise BCG, Zombie Annihilator Lower

Last edited:
There has to be something else still going on here. Maybe still a gas issue???

I should clarify, I couldn't see anything because I just couldn't see down the barrel. Something could be in there... but I guess I'm going blind.

It was cycling well for the first 100 rounds. Rapid fire, slow fire, etc... it was cycling well.

I should clarify, I couldn't see anything because I just couldn't see down the barrel. Something could be in there... but I guess I'm going blind.

It was cycling well for the first 100 rounds. Rapid fire, slow fire, etc... it was cycling well.

Ok, so gas isn't the issue than. Just a bad round, is probably stuck in there. Or casing I should say. Has to be.

Do you have a small steel rod or anything to put down there that you could hammer on easily? Because those brass cleaning rods bend way too easy.

Your bolt is locked into the lugs, pounding through the barrel will not free it.

You need to move the carrier back so it rotates the key and unlock the bolt. Make sure that your charging handle is not latched when doing it.

Lube is your friend.

Good luck!

I'll have to dig around some more tomorrow, I'm sure I have something, somewhere. I think I'm going to try the block of wood/hammer trick on the charge handle too.

- - - Updated - - -

Your bolt is locked into the lugs, pounding through the barrel will not free it.

You need to move the carrier back so it rotates the key and unlock the bolt. Make sure that your charging handle is not latched when doing it.

Lube is your friend.

Good luck!

Any tips on doing this? I assume the block of wood / hammer trick, on the charge handle will be sufficient?

I made a rod to clear my AUG when the wolf cases were sticking in the chamber.
I can pull the barrel out of the receiver to get at it. I found that I have to mix mags
with some brass case rounds. I shoot a mag of wolf then a mag of brass. The brass
cases tend to grab the crap left from the Wolf and cleans the chamber.

I only got another 1200 rounds of Wolf left to go thru.

Malodave

I'll have to dig around some more tomorrow, I'm sure I have something, somewhere. I think I'm going to try the block of wood/hammer trick on the charge handle too.

- - - Updated - - -

Any tips on doing this? I assume the block of wood / hammer trick, on the charge handle will be sufficient?

Work directly on the bolt carrier from the bottom. Start by closing it (because you put more pressure on it with the rod through barrel), then go back and push that carrier back. You need to get the cam to turn in order for it to free up.

I got my bolt stuck on a round cause of bad headspacing, i ended up taking a pair of needle nose and prying back on the carrier like in the picture. Came right out. Ramming anything down the barrel won't get it out of battery.

Work directly on the bolt carrier from the bottom. Start by closing it (because you put more pressure on it with the rod through barrel), then go back and push that carrier back. You need to get the cam to turn in order for it to free up.

So you think I need to push the BCG all the way forward so it collapses (i.e. turns an seats), then whack it backwards? I can tap it from behind with a hammer (buffer tube side towards barrel) as I have it out of the lower.

You would think something down the barrel gently, would free it. Oh well, I tried.

Good luck man, I hope you get it figured out.

So you think I need to push the BCG all the way forward so it collapses (i.e. turns an seats), then whack it backwards? I can tap it from behind with a hammer (buffer tube side towards barrel) as I have it out of the lower.

When you put the rod down the barrel you were pushing on a locked bolt. You don't need to pound it closed, just a few taps to take any pressure off, then focus on tapping the carrier back to get the cam to rotate.

and again ............ lube is your friend

I did this accidentally before I fully assembled everything. I got the bolt carrier back a bit and turned the bolt itself. I forgot what I used, maybe a screw driver, maybe an allen wrench.

Good luck!

Ok, so gas isn't the issue than. Just a bad round, is probably stuck in there. Or casing I should say. Has to be.

Do you have a small steel rod or anything to put down there that you could hammer on easily? Because those brass cleaning rods bend way too easy.

I would try a wood dowel.

That'll tap right out

Go back down the barrel

I tried again with my now bent cleaning rod.... It didn't pop out. I'll bang it out tomorrow with a new rod of whatever material I can find. If I need to buy something, I'll get a wood dowel

Back
Top Bottom