• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15 thread... I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

Wrapped up the range tip with three good groups at 100 yards.

View attachment 595733

The rest of the shots were re-zeroing after shifting the scope back due to the new PRS Lite stock.
DarthRevan, can I please ask if you were shooting off a rest/bi-pod/free hand and if you were using factory or hanloads? 100 yd 5 SG’s correct?

DarthRevan, can I please ask if you were shooting off a rest/bi-pod/free hand and if you were using factory or hanloads? 100 yd 5 SG’s correct?
Those three groups were using bipod, no rear bag, 77gr handloads a friend put together for me about two years ago based off his 18” Mk18 build.
And yes five shot groups.

Wrapped up the range tip with three good groups at 100 yards.

View attachment 595733

The rest of the shots were re-zeroing after shifting the scope back due to the new PRS Lite stock.
I don’t want to be that dude, and I probably couldn’t do any better, but 2”+ groups at 100 yds with high magnification and a bipod should not be considered “good”. I would probably re-try with factory loads and go from there.

I don’t want to be that dude, and I probably couldn’t do any better, but 2”+ groups at 100 yds with high magnification and a bipod should not be considered “good”. I would probably re-try with factory loads and go from there.
BINGO!

I did not want to be that guy.

BINGO!

I did not want to be that guy.
I mean… being critical doesn’t bother me but passive aggression does. Just say what you mean. f***ing be that guy, who are you trying to impress by attempting not to be?

If that’s not good enough by people who actually shoot well with regularity then I’ll take the criticism. I think I can do better, I wasn’t super happy with the results but based on how far off I was at the beginning of the day I was happy enough.

I’m going to try factory 77gr that I have on Friday and see how it goes.

I mean… being critical doesn’t bother me but passive aggression does. Just say what you mean. f***ing be that guy, who are you trying to impress by attempting not to be?

If that’s not good enough by people who actually shoot well with regularity then I’ll take the criticism. I think I can do better, I wasn’t super happy with the results but based on how far off I was at the beginning of the day I was happy enough.

Easy enough to tune a load up and in short.

If you are shooting from a mag your OAL can be kinda tough at 2.325 with a 77Gr projectile specially with AR type mags. Get a rear bag.

1st find where the lands are.
2nd select a powder for the projectile assuming its a 77 Sierra BTHP
3rd select a middle of the road powder weight
4th start loading .4000” of the lands loading 5rounds for powder weight and increase it by 2 tenths of a grain
5th chrono your shots and triangulate your SGs. Group with the best vertical dispersion are what you are after not necessarily the tightest group. Given you are not over pressure, inspect your primers and know what you are looking for on your primers for pressure indicators.
6th adjust your seat depth .1000” at a time based on the charge that gave you the best and consistent vertical dispersion and tune from there.

Last edited:

Internet snipers dude.

Get a rear bag, I like TAB, tighten up your shooting position and those groups will shrink.

"I probably couldn't do any better, but you suck." [thinking]

Just remember, the accuracy requirement Ridgeline has for their SPR class is 2 MOA. That is my starting benchmark for an SPR type rifle, and you are there with half the gear to get a good baseline group.

Im sure itll shoot tighter with 77gr factory match. If not you might need to try a different bullet or whatever. Doesn't really look like its anything you're doing wrong, your buddy's handloads are probably just shit.

2 minutes is the minimum standard for doctrinal spr accuracy, but something something striving for minimums or something. A 2 minute gun with one minute ammo and a one minute shooter is going to disappoint you like women are disappointed when i take my pants off at distances past 300, which is where we're aiming for spr platforms to really earn their paycheck.

Something in homies setup aint jiving right

Too many unknown variables to make even an educated guess. Bullet, barrel, scope, mount, trigger... most likely shooter but without more info, impossible to know.

Is that your most accurate rifle, how do you shoot your other rifles, who built this rifle, etc.

Anyway, break in the rifle and try different ammo. Find whatever combination that barrel prefers in whatever weather you tend to shoot (bc that changes shit too).

If that doesn't work, take a prs class and practice your ass off.

Those three groups were using bipod, no rear bag, 77gr handloads a friend put together for me about two years ago based off his 18” Mk18 build.
And yes five shot groups.
My one piece of advice, NEVER EVER shoot a "friends" hand loaded ammo.

If you're not loading your own buy a few different (5+) brands of match 77's, or 69's. Whatever weight you want to shoot, and see which brand/weight your barrel likes the best.

These guys are right, those hand loads are probably not right for your barrel. I was lucky, my SPR shoots well with the first factory ammo I tried, 77grn FGMM. I have a BCM hammer forged barrel the same length that shoots the same lot quite a bit looser. Apples and oranges I know, but it illustrates the point that some barrels like different food.

These guys are right, those hand loads are probably not right for your barrel. I was lucky, my SPR shoots well with the first factory ammo I tried, 77grn FGMM. I have a BCM hammer forged barrel the same length that shoots the same lot quite a bit looser. Apples and oranges I know, but it illustrates the point that some barrels like different food.
Yeah I’ve been focusing on me being the cause more since I know I haven’t been shooting enough regularly the last two years. But like you’re pointing out and how Snacks phrased it, if almost everything is performing at a one and you be got something performing at a two then you’ll never get better than a two. It’s an LWRC rifle so I assume where ever they’re sourcing their barrels from must be decent enough for that to not be holding me back.

I’ll shoot the couple different weights I have and see what changes.

Yeah I’ve been focusing on me being the cause more since I know I haven’t been shooting enough regularly the last two years. But like you’re pointing out and how Snacks phrased it, if almost everything is performing at a one and you be got something performing at a two then you’ll never get better than a two. It’s an LWRC rifle so I assume where ever they’re sourcing their barrels from must be decent enough for that to not be holding me back.

Also, get the rear of that rifle supported, that will take some if the "you" out of the equation.

Natural Point Of Aim is a wonderful thing for removing as much of “you” from the equation as possible.
When time permits, I treat NPOA like a religious sacrament.
This was a 4 shoot group, during a timed qualification.
Prone, on a bipod, with a rear monopod, match grade .308 in a Ruger Precision bolt action rifle At 100 yards.
I certainly can not do this every time, but I strive to.
.578-.308=a .270 inch group
C39185B6-9D1D-4E21-9AC4-B1507085F585.jpeg

Last edited:
Natural Point Of Aim is a wonderful thing for removing as much of “you” from the equation as possible.
This was a 4 shoot group, during a time qualification.
Prone, on a bipod, with a rear monopod, match grade .308 in a Ruger Precision bolt action rifle At 100 yards.
I certainly can not do this every time, but I strive to.
.578-.308=a .270 inch group
View attachment 596483

🍀 hope you played lotto that day…

Winchester 77gr Match
Not seeing too much of a difference.

7B821036-8A3E-4149-AF01-61DEE763CD0A.jpeg

Went to try again on a new target after adjusting scope to the left 0.1. I started on the middle and did four three round groups. Then moved to the corners with five round groups. Clockwise from lower right, couldn’t get stable, said f*** it and loaded five of the reloads I had with me and was happier with those.

7A06E3AA-838E-4372-9310-3050155FBCEA.jpeg

I didn’t track the second middle target well enough so I’m not sure exactly but Im positive the last two mags of three were in that cloverleaf.

I spent most of the day splitting wood so I wasn’t as fresh as I should have been when I tried this.

An interesting data point. Still leaning towards me being the major factor opposed to equipment and ammo.

Winchester 77gr Match
Not seeing too much of a difference.

View attachment 598418

Went to try again on a new target after adjusting scope to the left 0.1. I started on the middle and did four three round groups. Then moved to the corners with five round groups. Clockwise from lower right, couldn’t get stable, said f*** it and loaded five of the reloads I had with me and was happier with those.

View attachment 598483

I didn’t track the second middle target well enough so I’m not sure exactly but Im positive the last two mags of three were in that cloverleaf.

I spent most of the day splitting wood so I wasn’t as fresh as I should have been when I tried this.

An interesting data point. Still leaning towards me being the major factor opposed to equipment and ammo.
Darth your vertical spread spread on the one circled in green is what you are after as far as “vertical dispersion”. 3 shots are almost dead nuts consistent. Oh well you threw one shot (it happens, we all do it). The vertical spread thats the left to right (not to insult your intelligence) is an indication the powder charge is consistent among a couple other things.

As far as the loaded cartridges I am willing to bet if you mesured base to bullet ogive on the on the Winchesters vs the handloads that the hand loads are a bit longer and they are closer to the lands of the riffling.

Last edited:
Darth your vertical spread spread on the one circled in green is what you are after and 3 are almost dead nuts consistent, oh well you threw one (it happens, we all donit). I am will to bet if you mesured base to ogive on the on the Winchesters vs the handloads that the hand loads are a bit longer / closer to the lands because its tighter. The vertical spread is thats the left to right (not to insult your intelligence) is an indication the powder charge is consistent among a couple other things.
I had to read that a few times to get your meaning but I see your point.

The orange ones bother me but given time of day after working, I’ll write it off to exhaustion. Still minute of man. Next I’ll work on a front bag too to see how that helps with follow ups, instead of weirdly sized wood ones the range has.

I had to read that a few times to get your meaning but I see your point.

The orange ones bother me but given time of day after working, I’ll write it off to exhaustion. Still minute of man. Next I’ll work on a front bag too to see how that helps with follow ups, instead of weirdly sized wood ones the range has.
Why don't you throw the rifle into a Lead Sled with weight and ratchet strap it to a bench? Remove the variables and see where you are at.
You can borrow mine if you need one.

Back
Top Bottom