AR-15 Magazine question

I'm about to buy some magazines for my AR build, and the auction I'm looking at lists them as .223 magazines. I was just wondering, are there 5.56 magazines as well, or are .223 and 5.56 magazines the exact same thing?

Also, just for clarification, I am under the impression that it is legal for someone to ship pre-ban 30-round AR magazines to me. Is that correct?

I tried to search for the answers here and on AR15.com but couldn't find them.

They are the same mags. Usually the only difference between .223 and 5.56 are in the barrel.

Many people (myself included sometimes) use 5.56mm and .223 interchangeably. As far as magazines go, they are the same. It's the chamber that you have to be concerned about.

It is legal to possess pre-ban large capacity feeding devices (Commonwealth-speak) and I have never heard of a law that prevents someone outside the Commonwealth from shipping one here.

typically, .223 is a "tighter" match style barrel/chamber.

Unless your build is a tight, match build. 5.56 and .223 are basically interchangable.

Mag are one in the same.

Pre-ban are legal to ship to mass as said. (provided you have the proper lic to have the mags.)

Somewhat related...

So what's the deal with Green vrs Black followers then ?
I've seen mags advertised here and other places mentioning the color of the followers.

I'm too lazy to do a search today, sorry. [thinking]

Good topic!

What about finish? I've seen some used that look like they have no finish, or a very worn finish, on them. Can they be refinished? What is thier "native" finish?

I've seen mags advertised here and other places mentioning the color of the followers.

The greens are anti-tilt. IMO in reality it really doesn't matter
that much if you assemble the mag correctly.... but on a personal
basis, I dump all of them and replace them with magpul followers,
for the whopping $3 apiece, they seem like they're better than
either the green or black ones- they don't tilt at all. They
remind me of a reincarnation / plastic version of the follower that is
in an AK mag. Note that on some mags that aren't perfectly "USGI
spec" the magpuls may not fit... so if you have oddball mags it
makes less sense to change them.

-Mike

That's correct.

Yes, and the Wylde chamber is supposed to be the best compromise if you want to use both types of ammo. If you want accuracy uber alles, get a .223 barrel chamber and don't use 5.56, or so I've read.

Some shooters will use different colored followers as a way to identify
their mags from those of other shooters.

Found this a while back on Ar15.com, looks good but I haven't tried it so I can't vouch for it's effectiveness.
http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=332

I've used it before. It does provide a nice original style finish (as opposed to the black teflon finish that is becoming more common).

Unfortunately, I believe that product has been unavailable for quite some time now (I still have half a can left... probably no good by now).

I've read good reviews from people that have used some of the spary on finishes that Brownells carries (Aluma-Hyde, Teflon Moly, etc).

The last batch of mags I refinished using matte black Gun Kote and an airbrush. Brownells carries it also but it's $30.00 for a 6oz spray can.

I've used Brownell's Aluma-Hide (Hyde?) finish on a few AR mags. It is not quite as durable as Gun-Kote, but cheaper and easier to apply. Someone suggested to me applying cold galvanizing compound to steel mags. I'm a little skeptical about this...

The magazines I recently bought are already refinished in flat black, and they look real nice, but I was thinking about buying some more non-refinished pre-bans and coating them in Flat Dark Earth.

Back
Top Bottom