• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15 in a 7.62x39???

Hi All,

I'm new to the AR-15 platform & I'm thinking of purchasing a kit for 7.62x39 to go with my stripped lower.

I'm thinking about this caliber because I've got an SKS and I don't want to add another caliber. I've also got a Mosin 91/30 & a 22LR rifle.

Are the mags readily available? Are they more expensive?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

David

Don't do it. No, pre-ban magazines in 7.62x39 are not readily available. Nor are they very reliable. The long, straight well in the AR15 doesn't allow the tight curvature required for a reliable 7.62x39 magazine.

Stick with 5.56. You'll be far happier.

You're better off going with 5.45 x 39, as I believe an AR mag will work with mods, and the ammo is a hell of a lot cheaper. (5.45 x 39 is pretty much the cheapest centerfire rifle ammo money can buy right now.... )

-Mike

You're better off going with 5.45 x 39, as I believe an AR mag will work with mods, and the ammo is a hell of a lot cheaper. (5.45 x 39 is pretty much the cheapest centerfire rifle ammo money can buy right now.... )

-Mike

I actually stocked up on some cheap 5.45x39 ammo back when the prices were going thru the roof in hopes of building an AR in 5.45. The problem is - I could never find any decent uppers in that caliber.

Anybody know where to find 5.45x39 AR uppers of decent quality? It doesnt seem to be a very common variant. The 7.62x39 AR uppers are much more popular.

I actually stocked up on some cheap 5.45x39 ammo back when the prices were going thru the roof in hopes of building an AR in 5.45. The problem is - I could never find any decent uppers in that caliber.

Anybody know where to find 5.45x39 AR uppers of decent quality? It doesnt seem to be a very common variant. The 7.62x39 AR uppers are much more popular.

I think S+W is building whole rifles around it, so there must be some manufs making uppers for it now.

-Mike

I can't speak as to the quality, but I know that Sparky's in Webster has had a few in stock that you could at least go and see first-hand.

Unless you plan to clean your gun every 100 rounds don't do 545x39 the ammo is so corrosive that it will eat your barrel away as you watch.

Unless you plan to clean your gun every 100 rounds don't do 545x39 the ammo is so corrosive that it will eat your barrel away as you watch.

Only if you buy that old yugo milsurp stuff. The wolf and other new stuff thats floating around is non-corrosive.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom