AR-15 Gas ring problem

Has anyone replaced their gas rings on their AR bolts yet?
I installed a new BCM bolt carrier and bolt ($120.00) and what a hunk of shit. Dirty as all hell to start with. Can't believe they shipped it that way, but the real problem is the bolt won't slide back in the carrier as it should and it's causing FTF problems.
I know it's the gas rings due to the fact that other bolts function properly in it. Even with cleaning and extra lube it's still way too stiff.
I'm going to try replacing the rings, has anyone done this yet and is there a trick or special "tool" for it?

Thanks for any help,

B

What brand of rifle is this in. What buffer are you using. Can you further elaborate on the FTF problems. There are a lot of ways that this could go here. A BCM BCG&A is one highest quality BCG&A you can buy. Also in what way was it "dirty as hell" you do realize they test fire these to make sure perform properly before they leave the factory. That may have been a mix of assembly lube and burnt/unburnt powder on it.

-DM-

Last edited:
As a matter of fact I replaced my 3 rings with a one-piece ring today. I did not need any special tools to do that. I used an x-acto knife to separate and lift the rings one edge at a time.

What brand of rifle is this in. What buffer are you using. Can you further elaborate on the FTF problems. There are a lot of ways that this could go here. A BCM BCG&A is one highest quality BCG&A you can buy. Also in what way was it "dirty as hell" you do realize they test fire these to make sure perform properly before they leave the factory. That may have been a mix of assembly lube and burnt/unburnt powder on it.

-DM-

It is a 3 year old bushmaster 20" chrome heavy barrel w/1500 rounds down her. Now, I have never had a FTF problem or any problem what so ever with her or the extra Bushy bolt and carrier I purchased as a spare. I installed the enhanced extractor on both units.
I bought the BCM enhanced bolt & carrier as an upgrade. It was delivered via mail covered in what looked like "harded grease". That I can deal with , not a problem. Not how I would have shipped it to a good customer but that's me.
The FTF problem Sunday AM's Milit. Shoot at our range went something like this: Out of 80 rounds I had 7 FTF's and it looked like the bolt was stuck over the round half way closed in the chamber. I pulled the charging handle back a let it go and it chambered another round no problem. I assume the bolt was not fully sliding back to catch the next round.
After a thorough cleaning I noticed the bolt was very tight in the bolt carrier as compared to the other 5 bolt and carriers I own. 2 Bushmasters, 1 Stag, 1-Olympic, 1-Del-ton build.

Let me know what you think.
B

What buffer do you have. It almost sounds like its short stroking. Given the fact that it is a brand new BCG&A its going to be a little tight. Try cleaning the BCG&A thoroughly and lube it with a high quality lube like militec-1, or at the very least CLP. Ammo choice might have something to do with this as well. My Stag/Spikes build runs most any ammo, but a buddies complete Stag will not run Wolf, he has the same FTF issue that you are having. It also may be magazine choice as well. What condition are your mags in. An lastly it could be a gas system issue. Is there any excessive carbon build up around the FSB, the gas tube cold also be obstructed.

-DM-

What buffer do you have. It almost sounds like its short stroking. Given the fact that it is a brand new BCG&A its going to be a little tight. Try cleaning the BCG&A thoroughly and lube it with a high quality lube like militec-1, or at the very least CLP. Ammo choice might have something to do with this as well. My Stag/Spikes build runs most any ammo, but a buddies complete Stag will not run Wolf, he has the same FTF issue that you are having. It also may be magazine choice as well. What condition are your mags in. An lastly it could be a gas system issue. Is there any excessive carbon build up around the FSB, the gas tube cold also be obstructed.

-DM-

It's a standard A1/A2 rifle buffer that came with it. I failed to mention that the bolt would not lock back on an empty mag. ( I used 4 different USGI 30 rnd. tefs that day). I'll run through it tomorrow night and check everything again and I'll try some hotter reloads and another bolt and carrier this weekend and run some tests.

Thanks,
B

Back
Top Bottom