AR-10 or modified M1A/SOCOM?

Help. I am struggling to decide where to invest in a nice 7.62x51mm tactical rifle, specifically one that has/accepts a nice collapsible stock and a vertical foregrip. What are your opinions on the pros and cons of these two options?

1) AR-10 with rails (I have narrowed all the EBR options to this one)
2) M1A/SOCOM modified with a nice tactical package

I know a factory AR-10 would be cheaper than the modified M1A, but I already have an M1A so the price to upgrade it would be comparable to the AR-10 for me (or I could sell the M1A and get a SOCOM for the shorter barrel if that seems best). If the AR-10 proves to be the best option, I may or may not sell the M1A however; this is a question of where to spend fresh cash.

Relevant questions: Is there a significant accuracy difference? Is the action of either significantly more reliable? But don't limit your thoughts to these only - let me know what you think.

Despite narrowing it to the AR-10, I welcome any and all input on this choice.

Disregard that I live in MA for the time being....

Thanks!

[grin]

I'm going to beat MassMark to this thread and say you need to grab the Troy MCS system for the M1A.

I may also have beaten Dench to the lead weight comment.

I have had my eye on a socom II for a while now... just can't muster the $$$ ATM.

I have never shot the AR10... so really have nothing to add...

There both great guns. But my vote is for the M1A
Gotcha. This is why I posted the question; because this is my current opinion as well. I prefer the M1A but I just need to know if there's some compelling reason to prefer otherwise, or if I should just go with the M1A.

I am putting together an AR-10 from an Armalite lower and a Noveske upper. I hope to get this done soon, and will post a review when I get there. For my taste, I preferred the AR platform for its familiarity (to me). I wouldn't rule out an M14 type gun at some point. You mention a nice collapsable stock. On a new gun here in Mass I would go SOCOM if I wanted to modify the gun to accept a collapsable stock.

Is this because of the shorter barrel?

I am thinking of the legality, in Mass, of combining a pistol grip and collapsable stock on a new AR-10, but I defer to the legal experts and recognize that I could be wrong on this.

In MA you can only have one evil feature. On an M1A you can choose if you want

Pick one,

Pistol grip
collapsible
bayolug
flash suppressor
grenade launcher

Last edited:
I've got an AR10 and an M1A. For social occasions, I'd grab the M1A. I have more faith in its reliability.

But as Mike-Mike points out, you can't have both a pistol grip and collapsible stock unless it is a pre-ban gun.

Also, the M1A enables you to close the gas tube and run it like a bolt gun if you wish.
Now that you mention it, this is really the kind of input I was hoping for. This would render it better for sniping? Because you don't have to worry about banging brass?

Now that you mention it, this is really the kind of input I was hoping for. This would render it better for sniping? Because you don't have to worry about banging brass?

Also, all the gas goes down the pipe. I know a guy who uses it like this for high power matches.

Thanks to everyone for your input so far. If there are any other thoughts, I'd surely appreciate hearing them!

[grin]

Personally I don't know how you're going to be able to afford to shoot 7.62x51 unless you can reload. The prices have gone through the roof in the past few month as stocks of mil-surp have all but dried up.

I'm going to beat MassMark to this thread and say you need to grab the Troy MCS system for the M1A.

I may also have beaten Dench to the lead weight comment.

And you surely did! [grin] How did I miss this one??? [thinking]

My vote is for the M1A - hands down. If you want a shorter package, you could always have it re-barreled to an 18" Scout or 16" SOCOM. Or, sell your M1A and grab a Scout or SOCOM outright. To take your weapon a step further - wrap a Troy MCS around it and be amazed at where your options go from there.

If you can live with the 22" barrel of your current rifle, I would advise the following: Troy MCS SASS package, SEI Vortex Flash Suppressor, LaRue SPR M4 mount, glass of your choice, (though I like Leupold). What you will have is a long range package that with the throw of a lever can be used for CQB. The beauty of the Troy is the versatility it brings to the M-14 rifle - transforming it into a true weapon platform. Want to reach out and touch? Throw a lever add long range optics and a Magpul PRS and go the distance. Want to shoot short range? Throw a lever and add a Trijicon Tripower in a LaRue 150, a Magpul CTR stock, KAC vertical grip and a Surefire weapons light. Feeling medium? Add a LaRue mounted Millet DMS and a Vltor Clubfoot or standard A2 M-16 stock. Your options are endless....If it were me, I'd ideally like to have an 18" Scout riding in my Troy MCS and put the SOCOM back into USGI birch. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE my SOCOM, I'd just like to have that extra 2" of barrel for getting outside the box a bit....

No matter what you choose - choose M1A.... [cheers]

Buy whatever can be fixed most easily and has the widest availability of cheap replacement parts. My guess is this might be the AR-10, but maybe its the M1A since the AR-10 was never that popular.

After Obama signs HR 1022, the industry is going to shrivel up, and you will only be able to gets parts for things like the AR-15 and the M1A, for example.

Buy whatever can be fixed most easily and has the widest availability of cheap replacement parts. My guess is this might be the AR-10, but maybe its the M1A since the AR-10 was never that popular.

That would not be the AR10. Few made, different versions are incompatible. Far more spare parts availability for M1A and M14.

In the interest of disclosure I should mention I own both an M1A and FAL and recommend them highly, and don't own an AR-10, but you may be better with the AR.

The AR-10 is going to be easy to accurize and stay accurate due to the free floating barrel and lack of bedding. Now with those Troy or other metal stocks bedding may not be an issue anymore, but the standard stocks on an M1A require rebedding on a regular basis to maintain accuracy. Scope mounting is also easier on the AR-10, and you can get a very nice trigger with a lower pull weight easier as well.

The primary advantages of the M1A are the reliability and ruggedness of the weapon. None of the .308 ARs have that sort of reputation. But if you're not going into battle, it probably won't matter. I probably wouldn't go with the Troy or other railed monstrosities on an M1A. There is a company out of California that makes very nice fiberglass stocks with an aluminum internal chassis to eliminate bedding that I would probably use instead. Expensive, but nothing for an M1A is cheap.

Back
Top Bottom