AR-10 Magazine Question

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I'm on the hunt now for a new AR platform in 7.62/308. Since this is MA, I obviously would have a problem with the new 20 rnd mags that most of these manufacturer provide with their rifles.

As I search for the platform I'd like, I notice that RRA advertises that their LAR-8 rifles will accept pre ban FAL magazines. This is great for me being in MA and all.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if Armalite, DPMS, Bushmaster, etc' 308 AR rifles also reliably accept FAL mags?

Thanks for the help!

I'm wondering if anyone knows if Armalite, DPMS, Bushmaster, etc' 308 AR rifles also reliably accept FAL mags?

Thanks for the help!
You have to check with each manufacturer. The AR-10 has not undergone the degree of standardization that its 5.56 brother has.

IIRC, Armalite and Bushmaster all have proprietary magazines.

The AR-10 accepts a modified M-14 mag (Gen 1 mag). Armalite sells a pre-ban 20 round version for Mass residents.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that a mag loses it's pre ban status if you modified it in any way from it's original configuration. Like I said, I could be wrong.

I'll have to check into the Armalite MA version mags. Thanks

CMMG makes an AR 10 lower that accepts H&K 20 round mags. From what I hear these mags are plentiful and cheap. The bad news is that you have to build the gun yourself.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that a mag loses it's pre ban status if you modified it in any way from it's original configuration. Like I said, I could be wrong.
Back during the federal AWB, the ATF ruled that as long as the magazine still worked in the original gun, that it was OK. But if the modifications made it so that it wouldn't work in the original gun, that it wasn't OK. The AR10 modified M14 mags still work in an M1A.

Of course, that ruling was by the ATF about the federal AWB.

I'm not sure about other manufactuers but I know the Remington R-25 and DPMS LR-308 do not accept their "parent" AR-10 magazines.

I do know that they offer 5rd (for hunting in states that restrict the capacity of semi-automatic weapons used for hunting) and 10rd magazines. I have a few of the prior since NH restricts Semi's to 5rd capacity.

This is old info

Subject: RE: BAR-10 question
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004
To: greycar

The BAR 10 .308 will accept both inch and metric magazines but it is
my feeling that the inch magazines fit better. Save them pennies!

Thank you,
Jim Eden, Tech Support.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004
To: CSEmail
Subject: BAR-10 question

I read the specs on the new BAR-10 .308. Time for me to start saving
my pennies :) . I see that these rifles will use fal magazines. As
I'll probably be investing in the magazines first, before I buy the
gun, can you indicate which magazines the receiver will accept; metric
or inch type ?
Thanks,
greycar
goal/nra/gonh

"Metric magazines have a small front locking lug (1/4 inch wide) that is
merely punched out of the body of the magazine. Metric magazines also
have a slim floorplate that is NOT wider than the body of the magazine.
In contrast, inch pattern (British Commonwealth) magazines have a
relatively large and beefy (1/2 inch wide) front locking lug that is
welded onto the front of the magazine. They can also be distinguished by
their floorplates, which are wider than the magazine body, and have a
"button" release on the bottom."

> http://www.fnfal.com/falfiles/fall1a1.html

CMMG makes an AR 10 lower that accepts H&K 20 round mags. From what I hear these mags are plentiful and cheap. The bad news is that you have to build the gun yourself.

The mags are very plentiful - and very cheap (as low as $3.99 each).

This was more than enough reason for me to go out and get a CMMG/G3 lower and a DPMS upper to build an AR in 7.62. The "having to build the gun yourself" part is a small price to pay for easy and plentiful mags if you ask me.

The G3 mags even have the date stamped right on them, so if anybody was to question the legality of the mag all you have to do is pull it out of the gun and shove it in their face.

Vell,

While I know it has been more popular of late, the AR-10 platform was developed in the 1950s, so I am sure there are tens of thousands of pre-ban magazines, especially if they are genuine Aralite mags.

Most AR-10 clones are post-ban because the platforms popularity didn't take off until more recently, but there are certainly a large supply of pre-ban AR-10 rifles and magazines from Aralite

The mags are very plentiful - and very cheap (as low as $3.99 each).

This was more than enough reason for me to go out and get a CMMG/G3 lower and a DPMS upper to build an AR in 7.62. The "having to build the gun yourself" part is a small price to pay for easy and plentiful mags if you ask me.

The G3 mags even have the date stamped right on them, so if anybody was to question the legality of the mag all you have to do is pull it out of the gun and shove it in their face.

Now you've done it. I just can't resist a .308 AR with cheap mags! My savings account is about to take a serious hit.

Vell,

While I know it has been more popular of late, the AR-10 platform was developed in the 1950s, so I am sure there are tens of thousands of pre-ban magazines, especially if they are genuine Aralite mags.

Most AR-10 clones are post-ban because the platforms popularity didn't take off until more recently, but there are certainly a large supply of pre-ban AR-10 rifles and magazines from Aralite

Not quite.

The current AR-10 uses proprietary mags and cannot accept original AR-10 mags. This modern AR-10 was not conceived until AFTER the AWB went into effect: thus, the magazines are not pre-ban unless they're modified pre-ban M-14 mags that still work in M-14s.

The SR-25, DPMS rifles, LaRue, and several other variants all use mags compatible with original AR-10s.

The original AR-10 mags are hugely expensive and difficult to find as most of the rifles were exported or built outside the US. The "pre-ban AR-10 rifles" you speak of are predominantly select-fire models produced by the original Armalite, not the current Armalite, Inc.

Last edited:
I purchased 2 AR10 rifles one in 1999 and one in 2000 from Four Seasons. At that time the both included a couple of 20 round magazines. The ban was in 1994 so those had to be Pre-Ban mags correct?

MAc

Yes, because those are modified M-14 mags. True AR-10 mags (compatible with the original AR-10) are going to be exceedingly rare as most were exported.

Yes, because those are modified M-14 mags. True AR-10 mags (compatible with the original AR-10) are going to be exceedingly rare as most were exported.

Do you know what modifications are needed to make an m-14 mag FAL compatible or have a link? Just curious.

No clue. Not even sure it's possible. The AR-10 was designed around the modified M14 mag, while the FAL mag is a completely separate design.

Back
Top Bottom