• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Applying for FFL, retail space??

I'm sure this has been discussed, searched but couldn't find anything. So Im thinking of branching out and doing some duracoating and ceracoating as a side job as I've been tracked down and haunted by numerous people to do work for them, and demand seems to be pretty good atm. I'm doing this out of my shop at my house and found bits a pieces on needing to have a "retail space in order to acquire a ffl ". Any experienced people have some info on this. Im not interested in anything other that having guns shipped to me for work then shipped back to the owner after work has been completed. Any info would be great.

Last edited:
I had an ffl a while back and needed a retail space to get a business license in my town. The license came from the chief of police cause its a gun business. It was denied because my home wasnt zoned properly and he was concerned about parking on the street. You need the business license to get your state tax number. I eventually got a retail space. A lot of distributors wont deliver to home ffls. Quite a few wanted a photo of your storefront with signage before they'd set up an account. Sorry, too much info here and I dont know if things loosened up now.

The problem is not the FFL, but the state dealer's and/or gunsmith license. You may obtain an FFL at a home address, provide it is allowed by zoning (and it often is under "home business" guidelines that are mostly concerned with architectural changes, partking, etc.) MGL specifically prohibits issuing the required state license to an address that is also a residence.

The issue is that there is VERY little you can do with an FFL without a state dealer or gunsmith license, and, there is an uphill fight convincing the BATFE to issue one. They will issue an FFL to a "non-dealer" if that person is a photographer, technical analyst, gun writer, industry consultant, etc. who is not planning on doing any gunsmithing or engaging in retail trade - but the applicant needs to prove it, not just assert it. Besides, an FFL issued for such a purpose, without an accompany state gunsmithing license, does not allow one to take guns in for refinishing.

Answers are right above in the Stickies, http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/27727-Home-FFL-In-Massachusetts

To do what you want to, you should be able to do that with an 01 FFL and a MA Gunsmith license.
Thats true, Adam, but with the 07 he "fits" in an industrial zone and this generally makes the zoning issue go away since he is a manufacturer, not a retailer. He also will have dealer privilages. He can also then get the SOT and dick around with the NFA stuff. Jack.

Thats true, Adam, but with the 07 he "fits" in an industrial zone and this generally makes the zoning issue go away since he is a manufacturer, not a retailer. He also will have dealer privilages. He can also then get the SOT and dick around with the NFA stuff. Jack.

Good point. Is the 07 renewed every 3 years like the 01 is?

Back
Top Bottom