Appleseed type shoots

Good grief, I take an evening off to go to Lodge and y'all go crazy on me.

What are the differences between a MINI Appleseed and a regular one? If a mini is a one day event I would be interested in a winter session.
Less history, more shooting. It's not a full day, more like an afternoon. It's also free since we just meet up at a range and we get to share the line. [hmmm]
Ive been shooting Appleseed-style at Harvard indoors. Its usually empty in the evenings. Its only 50' but a little math can calculate group sizes needed for 4moa. Would be nice to have some company. Let me know if anyone is interested some night next week.
www.appleseedinfo.org has 50' downloadable targets.
You qualify for a patch if you're shooting in your backyard with bunny slippers on as long as you can show us the target.
AND the bunny slippers - we want pictures.
I'd be interested in something like this......What are the thoughts about newbies trying this out? I don't know my way around a rifle all that well. I just picked up a AR-15 last week. I wasn't even sure I'd ever fire it, but figured I get it while the gettin is good.
I think it's the best instruction for the money you'll get. Bring LOTS of ammo, and check your ego at the gate (it only gets in the way).
A MINI is any Appleseed run by Ross! [wink]

I'm here all week folks, try the veal.
Since you've already sampled the bullshit, that is. [rolleyes] Gary, you're about 40 some odd years too late to be the first to make a short joke about me. Do try and catch up, will you? [wink]
Low blow. (hah) [smile]
Go ahead... get it out of your system. I'm big enough to take it.

I'm big enough to take it.
Just.

I'd highly recommend picking up a 10/22 and putting tech-sights and a sling on it for your first appleseed. The recoil and noise of centerfire is just going to distract you from learning basic marksmanship. Also, you can spend $15 on ammo instead of $200.

Are the Mini Appleseeds scheduled? Or are they last minute get togethers? Getting one day freed up on a weekend is much easier than a whole weekend.

Are the Mini Appleseeds scheduled? Or are they last minute get togethers? Getting one day freed up on a weekend is much easier than a whole weekend.

Mini's can be anywhere from an hour or two to most of the day. You'll pick up some good tips and hear a little history. We tipically put up a schedule as to when & where.

Come to a full Appleseed for just one day and you'll really learn some skills and get a bit more history. I'd recommend Saturday because we'll be drilling the fundamentals into you. Its like drinking from a fire hose.

I don't have any Minis scheduled at the moment. This part of the forum will be the first place to know when I do!

What are the requirements for a range?

It's hard to believe we don't have any members in NH that can give suggestions.

where are you in nh? Where do you normally shoot?

You need a good back stop that can stop 1000's of rounds and room for 10-20 shooters at 25m from the backstop. Everything else is a plus.

Minimun of 82 feet to targets, we'd like at least another ten feet behind the firing line for gear and room so I don't step on anyone Again.

Figure four feet of firing line per shooter, more is better.

Ok... I've got my 1022 in working order so I'd like to get in on one of these events. What do you guys suggest for things to bring?

Scope or iron sights?
A sling apparently is needed. Any old sling or does it matter?
Any recommended mods to the 1022?
I think I read somewhere that extra mags are good. How many?

Let me know when the next date is set. I'll be there if it fits my schedule.

Ok... I've got my 1022 in working order so I'd like to get in on one of these events. What do you guys suggest for things to bring?

Scope or iron sights?

Take a look here and here. If your eyes are "good" get a set of tech-sights. If they are old/worn get some optics. The next full local appleseed is April 18-19 at HSC. Crak may schedule a mini before then if there is enough interest.

Scope or iron sights?

Iron Sights
Old sling is fine
Mods (in order of importance) - Tech Sights, VQ Hammer & Bolt Release, Extended mag release, bolt buffer
40 round capacity, or 4x10 round mags

I am in the process of getting clearance for a full, two day Appleseed at Woodsman R&P in Athol for the sometime in February.

Very cool, well, downright cold! A rifleman doesn't just use his skills when there are clear skies and comfy temperatures. Now I need to find some gloves that will let my "booger hook" work the "bang switch" and still keep warm.

I am in the process of getting clearance for a full, two day Appleseed at Woodsman R&P in Athol for the sometime in February.
I just asked Barb if she wanted to do another Appleseed. She replied "YES! Where and when?" I told her and the next thing she said was "No way!"

I think we'll wait for April 19[wink]

I just asked Barb if she wanted to do another Appleseed. She replied "YES! Where and when?" I told her and the next thing she said was "No way!"
We'll have to see how many other ladies brave the cold and snow... [smile]

BTW, Dennis... we CAN have a bonfire somewhere behind the line so we don't all freeze solid, right? Remember, I'm a southerner! (well, Northern NJ is farther south of MA! [laugh])

I would hope that we would be able to have some sort of fire, or relatively frequent breaks inside. I can't imagine a full 8 hour day outside in the cold is great for you.

BTW, Dennis... we CAN have a bonfire somewhere behind the line so we don't all freeze solid, right? Remember, I'm a southerner! (well, Northern NJ is farther south of MA! [laugh])

I have a burn barrel I'll bring, and I'll hang a tarp from the shooting shed for a windbreak if needed. ....and I guess I could turn on the heat in the clubhouse. I might be able to get MrsTwigg to bring down a pot of her beef stew.

Nothin' like hot beef stew on a cold winter day !
hungry.gif

I dunno about my wife, but I'm down for this (unless i have to work that weekend, which is an ever increasing frequency).
Any idea on which weekend MrTwigg?

Are there any decent places to camp out in that area, or cheap hotels? Its not a terrible drive for me to do both days (2 hours with my lead foot!), but it would be nice to be able to stay down there overnight.

Don't know about hotels, but you can camp at the club; they've got a nice little grove you can pitch a tent in. In February.
ohlord.gif

Better thee than me.

Are there any decent places to camp out in that area, or cheap hotels? Its not a terrible drive for me to do both days (2 hours with my lead foot!), but it would be nice to be able to stay down there overnight.

Cheap hotels, most likely. (Red Roof Inn in Gardner, all that I know of. )

Camping ? [shocked]
You do realize we are planning the shoot for February ? Winter. [thinking] Cold. [thinking] Snow.[thinking]

I know some folks like that sorta thing...
I camp at Appleseeds when I can but not when the snow's on the ground. [laugh]

You're tougher then me I'll admit. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom