Appleseed type shoots

I see the first event is scheduled for April - I'm looking for something a bit sooner than that to practice and learn. My plans for the winter include tuning up my 10/22 in prep for a shoot.

Are there any informal shoots planned before April?

You don't say where, but since Crak and I both belong to Harvard Sportsman's Assoc in Harvard, MA, it's very likely that we'll run some "Mini" Appleseed shoots. Problem with that is that you're going to be doing a lot of prone shooting... on a concrete pad in a New England winter.

But if you're up for it, we can try to work something out. Stay tuned.

You don't say where, but since Crak and I both belong to Harvard Sportsman's Assoc in Harvard, MA, it's very likely that we'll run some "Mini" Appleseed shoots. Problem with that is that you're going to be doing a lot of prone shooting... on a concrete pad in a New England winter.

But if you're up for it, we can try to work something out. Stay tuned.

Screw concrete pad. Crak and I were talking the other day about shooting in the snow.

Y'all are NUTS. I'll be standing up; YOU can lie in the snow. [wink]

I'm a skier, I've spent some time laying on the snow.

I'd be in for this. I was talking with some of the Vermont guys on the Appleseed forum at the shoots up there and they say they shoot their best groups in the snow.

Screw concrete pad. Crak and I were talking the other day about shooting in the snow.

Like this?
SliverCreekRange.jpg

SliverCreekRange2.jpg

I'm a skier, I've spent some time laying on the snow.

I'd be in for this. I was talking with some of the Vermont guys on the Appleseed forum at the shoots up there and they say they shoot their best groups in the snow.

I love shooting in foul weather. I shot my best AQT to date at full distance in the pouring rain at Jericho this year.

Can't say the same about Shortey, though...

Y'all are NUTS. I'll be standing up; YOU can lie in the snow. [wink]

If you can hit the 300yd and 400yd targets standing up, more power to you.

Andy: That looks like fun.

I think the biathlon would be much more fun if it was downhill skiing and subguns.

This sounds like a freakin good time; and i'd love to get some practice in before the next Appleseeds. I'll be keeping an eye out for some "mini"-type events.

Hey, my Guard unit CO is having us shoot our M4's in January. Emphasis is going to be on sitting, standing and "crouching".

Considering the range is in Jericho (don't see all of how he's going to do it), there'll be plenty of snow.

I would be in for a mini-Appleseed this winter....
I've been practicing since Winchendon and am determined to make rifleman my next time out.

Steve

What are the differences between a MINI Appleseed and a regular one? If a mini is a one day event I would be interested in a winter session.

What are the differences between a MINI Appleseed and a regular one? If a mini is a one day event I would be interested in a winter session.

Yup. Mini's are pratice for the real thing. I don't know if shooting a Rifleman score at a mini would qualify you for a patch, Dwarven1 would know.

Hopefully I'll be a NH resident in a few weeks but I could set up either a Mini or a full two day Appleseed out at Woodsman R&P in Athol.

We've allways got lots of snow there in winter ! [laugh]

Ive been shooting Appleseed-style at Harvard indoors. Its usually empty in the evenings. Its only 50' but a little math can calculate group sizes needed for 4moa. Would be nice to have some company. Let me know if anyone is interested some night next week.

You qualify for a patch if you're shooting in your backyard with bunny slippers on as long as you can show us the target. [smile]

Twigg: Can you get us a non-Valentine February date for a full weekend at Athol?

I'd be interested in something like this......What are the thoughts about newbies trying this out? I don't know my way around a rifle all that well. I just picked up a AR-15 last week. I wasn't even sure I'd ever fire it, but figured I get it while the gettin is good.

I'd be interested in something like this......What are the thoughts about newbies trying this out? I don't know my way around a rifle all that well. I just picked up a AR-15 last week. I wasn't even sure I'd ever fire it, but figured I get it while the gettin is good.

Newbies most welcome ! Centerfire at Woodsman is not an issue, BUT expect a round count of 500 to 700 rounds for a two day shoot. (Yeah, seriously.)

You qualify for a patch if you're shooting in your backyard with bunny slippers on as long as you can show us the target. [smile]

Twigg: Can you get us a non-Valentine February date for a full weekend at Athol?

Consider it done. [smile] Bunny slippers optional.

Last edited:
Newbies most welcome ! Centerfire at Woodsman is not an issue, BUT expect a round count of 500 to 700 rounds for a two day shoot. (Yeah, seriously.)

Going through 500-700 rounds doesn't bother me. Well the cost could be better, but if you want to play......

My concern is that I have one of the new evil AR that can not be brought into MA. So I'm limited to areas I can shoot.

I'd be very interested in a winter mini-apple. I'm a noob, I was planning on starting to get involved with some of these shoots in 2009 and would love to get a head start.

Got my 10/22, next I'm picking up the TSR200 sights and sling for it. A couple extra mags. Anything else I should consider?

What if they are kitten slippers?

Back
Top Bottom