• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Appleseed April 19th Harvard MA

It *is* possible to shoot well without a sling

Yes, it is. Alix (Luv2Bfree) shot Rifleman without a sling.

IN A FRIGGIN' TROPICAL STORM!!!

My fiancee is one dangerous lady. [smile]

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Headed into Boston tomorrow for meetings. Is there a gun shop along the 93 or 2 or 90 corridors that might have uncle Mike's sling swivels/studs and maybe even a Volquartsen trigger group as described in the liberty training rifle DIY link above?

Should the front stud be placed in front of the barrel band on a carbine (barrel side) or behind (trigger side)?

Last edited:
Headed into Boston tomorrow for meetings. Is there a gun shop along the 93 or 2 or 90 corridors that might have uncle Mike's sling swivels/studs and maybe even a Volquartsen trigger group as described in the liberty training rifle DIY link above?

Should the front stud be placed in front of the barrel band on a carbine (barrel side) or behind (trigger side)?

I have seen Uncle Mikes sling stuff at some Walmarts and Dick's. It is what I used on my 10/22 TD.

I placed my front stud about one inch back (trigger side) from the barrel band. I had to pick the exact location based on internal webs in the stock. I used the machine thread style stud on the front and the wood screw style on the rear. I didn't use epoxy on either of mine and haven't had a problem.

I wouldn't worry too much about replacing the trigger group or other parts in time for the event. Although the stock trigger group may not be the best, it is not going to detract from the instruction or hinder your accuracy.

The modified bolt release might be worth it, but I never had any issues with the stock bolt release. I may be the only one on the planet who feels this way based on what I keep reading.

I would get a sling on the rifle, go with what you have and learn from experience what you want to change. You might be able to talk someone into letting you try their rifle to see if you like a particular set of sights, trigger, etc.

The three things that I think will make a difference for a 10/22 is
The modified bolt release
The improved magazine release
Tech sights (easy to adjust)

If you can, an upgraded trigger helps a lot too. The volquartsen target hammer kit for about $35 is probably the best value out there.

Those and a garand-type sling..and the 1 1/4" swivels..

As an added extra I recommend a piece of anti-slip tape - the sandpaper stuff you find at home depot.. stick some of that on the butt-plate.

Having a few AS's under my belt... IMHO it appears the KISS principal is best way to go.. the fancier and more complicated the gear the higher the probability for problems..

Come on down and bring what you got.. .. you might just be surprised what it can do..

Having a few AS's under my belt... IMHO it appears the KISS principal is best way to go.. the fancier and more complicated the gear the higher the probability for problems..

There are a million different modifications you can make to a 10/22, and it's easy for a new shooter to become overwhelmed by all the different suggestions. I also know people who've spent a lot of time and money modifying their guns just because some guy on the internet said they should. Seems like a waste to make a ton of changes to a rifle before you've really spent time shooting it and identified needs or problems that would warrant an upgrade.

We know there are three basic "Liberty Training Rifle" 10/22 modifications that everyone agrees are virtually essential - VQ hammer & bolt release (or DIY), Tech Sights and a sling. Those three will get you through your first Appleseed without a problem. From there you can decide if you want to make further changes based on your experience.

And after your first Appleseed you're going to be inspired to shoot more (a lot more); you'll have plenty of opportunity to modify your rifle to fit your own specific needs.

Will I get more out of the day if I bring a centerfire rifle as well, or should I just stick with the .22?

The only training advantage to centerfire rifles might be during the ball & dummy drills. You might catch yourself flinching more if you're expecting more recoil.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know if the hot dog vendor is going to be at HSC? Gotta plan my luch.

Lunch..lots of water!!... snacks .. as you see fit.. a HAT!.. some sort of chair if you have one.. a mat of some kind (one of the blue sleeping pads from Walmart's camping section works great) as you WILL spend quite some time on the ground. ...ear and eye protection..comfortable layered clothing..sturdy footwear (I've seen high-heels and sandals ..not always a good idea).. rain-gear as applicable to the weather forcast...

most of all bring an open mind and learn-able attitude..

BTW--if you are new to AS.. one rifle is plenty.. I recommend bringing one that is cheapest to feed..

Last edited:
Will I get more out of the day if I bring a centerfire rifle as well, or should I just stick with the .22?

I would just stick with the .22...

You can apply everything you learn to something bigger later.

No point in complicating what is going to be an information packed day with more noise, more recoil, a sore shoulder (you will be shooting several hundred shots in one day), flinching, expensive ammo, etc.

you can't pre purchase tickets for this weekend anymore (the website is closed)

BUT if you want to go, i have been told that you can still come if you want to!
you need to bring cash, and be prepared
(post #30 on this thread tells you what you need)

so you don't have to miss out!

I would just stick with the .22...

You can apply everything you learn to something bigger later.

No point in complicating what is going to be an information packed day with more noise, more recoil, a sore shoulder (you will be shooting several hundred shots in one day), flinching, expensive ammo, etc.

Absolutely true! Plus, it's only a 25M range. Were it me, I'd be saving the heavy stuff for a longer range where the extra horse-power would help out.
It may "only" be a .22, but keep and open mind.. and you WILL be challenged.. so far I have seen very few shooters that did not make a
significant improvement after an AS..self included.. some because they were set in doing things "their way".. and one particular young lady who's groups looked as if her rifle was locked in a vise.. more like a test of the ammo's accuracy than an AQT..simply amazing!

A couple things I have brought in the past is an EZ-UP. Not neccessary, but nice.
A small tarp to lay all your crap on. The ground is dirt and dirt.. is.. dirt. So the tarp CAN help.
At Harvard there are fire pits of sorts, but that's no guarantee that anyone brings wood.. (HINT HINT).

I have made rifleman with out the sling. It can be nice and I had the sling on the gun, but didn't use it. So don't think it is mandatory, but it does help once you learn it.

Your car/truck at Harvard is not going to be more than 200' from you, feel free to over pack. I am not saying you should, but I brought 3 spare rifles both times and enough "other shit" to prep a small army. I didn't use 99% of it, but only because I brought it.

Of course, if you want to be SURE you have a spot, Proctor, VT has no pre-registered shooters so there's PLENTY of room for walk-ins.

Unfortunately.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

me and the BF (and our buddy) just got back, it was a lot of fun! thanks to all the instructors who made sure we were on target and were not being stupid...
i am tired, dirty, sunburnt, and sore (the sunburn is my own fault)...my groupings definitely improved, i also learned that the super nifty sling i got to go with my rifle.... is no good. at least not for what we were doing!

i had to stop shooting a little early due to my arthritic hands deciding to swell up and turn into claws, but up until then it was great!
i plan on going to another appleseed shoot, and bringing more friends, for sure. i will also be practicing my stances etc, now that i've had some guidance... maybe next time i'll get one of those patches.

if you were there, i was the one with the weird hair!

Attended with my 11 year old daughter yesterday. Huge thanks to all the instructors who made it such a safe and successful event. Special thanks to Blake who spent a ton of extra effort helping my daughter work her M+P 15-22 consistently and safely, and taking the extra time to work on her techniques. She had such a great time and was so impressed with how nice and friendly everyone was. Great to meet you Cass and thanks for donating the NESW gift certificate. I look forward to visiting your shop to spend it and then some. We both had a great time and look forward to attending another one.

me and the BF (and our buddy) just got back, it was a lot of fun! thanks to all the instructors who made sure we were on target and were not being stupid...
i am tired, dirty, sunburnt, and sore (the sunburn is my own fault)...my groupings definitely improved, i also learned that the super nifty sling i got to go with my rifle.... is no good. at least not for what we were doing!

i had to stop shooting a little early due to my arthritic hands deciding to swell up and turn into claws, but up until then it was great!
i plan on going to another appleseed shoot, and bringing more friends, for sure. i will also be practicing my stances etc, now that i've had some guidance... maybe next time i'll get one of those patches.

if you were there, i was the one with the weird hair!

What kind of sling was it and why didn't it work?

Had a great time yesterday. Thanks to everyone involved for a safe and educational day of slinging lead and reminding us of our heritage. The only bad part is getting all of the sand out of the trigger group, sights, and mags.

If you've been thinking about going to one of these for a while (I know I had been) I'd definitely suggest you make the time. I'll be back with family and friends. Thanks again!

View attachment 101208

Had a great time yesterday. Thanks to everyone involved for a safe and educational day of slinging lead and reminding us of our heritage. The only bad part is getting all of the sand out of the trigger group, sights, and mags.

If you've been thinking about going to one of these for a while (I know I had been) I'd definitely suggest you make the time. I'll be back with family and friends. Thanks again!

View attachment 101208

Appleseed is a FAMILY event!. Believe me, hearing the stories my eldest son, ALL my kids want to come to an Appleseed, and all WILL, as soon as they are old enough.
And if my oldest doesn't get his butt in gear... his sisters WILL shoot rifleman before him.. He confidied on his way home that he really can't focus on the sights..alas he
has his mother's eyesight..we may switch him to the scoped gun..

BTW- As an IIT I had as much if not more fun than the participants. Learning to shoot well, and getting the Rifleman patch is great.
But, working with new shooters and helping them get across that goal line is AWESOME.. You're a great bunch of folks..I really
enjoy working with you.. heck so much I'd even work Appleseed for free... hey wait. I DO work Appleseed for free!.. See it's gotta be fun!

What kind of sling was it and why didn't it work?

it was a paracord sling that was a little too round and not quite adjustable enough.. i need to get myself a flat web sling! one of the instructors was nice enough to loan me his, so i was OK for the rest of the day, but the first couple AQTs were pretty much sling-less since the one i had kept sliding down to my elbow

Back
Top Bottom