• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Appleseed April 19th Harvard MA

Next month, our friends at Project Appleseed are holding a fantastic and educational rifle clinic!
As seen on The Outdoor Channel’s “Shooting Gallery with Michael Bane”, through Project Appleseed,
the Revolutionary War Veterans Association is committed to teaching two things:
Rifle marksmanship and our early American heritage.

This great clinic, where you’ll learn traditional American marksmanship skills, will be held on Saturday,
April 19th at the Harvard Sportsman’s Club. It runs from 8:30am to 5pm,
you’ll need to bring a rifle between .22 and .30 caliber and at least 300 rounds for it.

Adult tickets are $40, Youth tickets are $15, and military & law enforcement are free with ID.
To learn more about Project Appleseed, go to www.appleseedinfo.org, and to sign up for the clinic go to http://www.eventbrite.com/e/harvard-ma-appleseed-april-19-2014-one-day-event-tickets-10525390727

11103uf.jpg

+1

Haven't been to an Appleseed in years, but hoping to make an appearance at this one and brush up my skills.

For those of you who have never been, this is hands down, without a doubt the best marksmanship training for your dollar, anywhere.

Trying to clear my schedule so I can go. April 19th at Harvard is the best date and location to have a shoot in honor of the American Revolutionary Heros.
Can't decide what to shoot... .22, 5.56 or 30-06. I'm thinking the M1 needs a chance to qualify Rifleman.

NE Shooters: I'll buy a day pass for any Adult/kid combo. Kid has to be under 18.

If you find a person who wants to go but if griping about the cost and what not. I'll grab their tickets for 1 day. Drop me a note if you find a worthy taker.

Probably a dumb question, but whats the difference between a one day course and a two day course? (aside from the obvious)

Is the the one day a condensed version? Are there things that are covered in the two day that arent in the one day?

Probably a dumb question, but whats the difference between a one day course and a two day course? (aside from the obvious)

Is the the one day a condensed version? Are there things that are covered in the two day that arent in the one day?

i asked one of the instructors this exact question and he says this:
95% of the instruction is taught the first day. The 2nd day is spent fine tuning, some added extra tips, some extra history...most of the 2nd day is spent shooting for score trying to earn the Rifleman patch.

i asked one of the instructors this exact question and he says this:
95% of the instruction is taught the first day. The 2nd day is spent fine tuning, some added extra tips, some extra history...most of the 2nd day is spent shooting for score trying to earn the Rifleman patch.

Good to know, thanks. [grin]

Trying to clear my schedule so I can go. April 19th at Harvard is the best date and location to have a shoot in honor of the American Revolutionary Heros.
Can't decide what to shoot... .22, 5.56 or 30-06. I'm thinking the M1 needs a chance to qualify Rifleman.

Remember you will be shooting A LOT at this, plan your ammuniution purchases accordingly. Since the AQT's require 40 rounds each time, make sure you bring enough clips (yes clips) for your Garand, or mags for whatever else you plan to shoot.

If you go to an appleseed with an open mind and open ears, you WILL be a better shooter when you are done.

Using a sling correctly certainly made me a better shooter, and there's no better thing than seeing your kids listen to the shooting AND the history. My daughter walks around with her sling attached to her arm when she is shooting at our place in NH...it's pretty funny to see.

One last plug...the guys in Harvard really make the history come alive. If you can find a way to go, go here. It is SO worth it.

Day one is great if you haven't been taught NPA, (natural point of aim), and the proper prone, sitting and standing shooting positions.

Only time these aren't great is when you have 20 people across the firing line. Spend more time getting ready and jostling for position, eating brass and getting kicked too lol

Highly recommended tho.

Only time these aren't great is when you have 20 people across the firing line. Spend more time getting ready and jostling for position, eating brass and getting kicked too lol

Highly recommended tho.

The Appleseed shoots that I've been to at Harvard have used 2 ranges to minimize crowding. Having said that they are "well attended"

highly recommended

If you are on the fence about attending this, go.

If you are worried about no knowing enough or looking foolish, go.

If you think you already know all this stuff, go.

In short, go.

You will become a better shooter in a very short time. The history is fabulous and the instructors are incredible.

So long as you can operate your rifle and follow the safety rules you will be fine. It might even be easier for the untrained as you don't have any bad habits to break.

I can't say you will make rifleman on the first day, but odds are you will go from barely on the paper to hitting each target consistently.

I was at the September 2013 event and there were easily 20-30 of us on one range. The range was full, but once we got all the lefties on one side and the righties on the other crowding wasn't really a problem.

If everyone resists the urge to analyze their targets while standing at the far end things will move along fairly well.

Bring a sharpie or other marker for marking up your targets.

If you have a stapler, bring it (and staples) for posting your targets.

Bring a hat. It not only keeps the sun off of you but it also keeps the next guy's brass out of your shirt.

Bring water.

Bring magazines or clips for your rifle. You really only need one or two for the instruction portion, but you really need four for the AQT. There are usually some available to borrow if you need them (at least for the 10-22 there were).

Bring lots of ammo. I went through about 500 or so on the first day and another 300 or so on day two.

Bring an open mind.

Go. It is worth it.

I understand that iron sights are recommended. The only 10/22 I have access to is scoped with no ability to retrofit to iron sights. Can this be made to work or do I need to try to borrow an iron sighted .22?

I understand that iron sights are recommended. The only 10/22 I have access to is scoped with no ability to retrofit to iron sights. Can this be made to work or do I need to try to borrow an iron sighted .22?

Scope is not a problem. While the curriculum is designed with iron sights in mind, you can adapt it for a scope very easily. Many people with weaker eyesight, or who just prefer optics will use scoped rifles.

Opps misread the post.

Bring the scope. I used a scope at my first Appleseed.

Last edited:
I would like to point out that in 2007 I thought I was a pretty decent shot. After all, I could shoot minute-of-soda-can! I mean, I hit it at 25 yards - that's good, right?

Hah. Went to an Appleseed and learned how good a shot I WASN'T. Not to mention hearing the story of Concord & Lexington in a way I'd never heard it before! That lit a fire... I wanted that Rifleman patch... and I wanted to be an Instructor so I could pass on the heritage, too. Took a year and two more shoots and 3000 rounds downrange before I could put those 10 shots into a 1" square at 25m. But I did it. And I then I got to teach a lot of people to do the same over the last several years. Pretty cool watching someone go from a group that looks like a shotgun pattern to something you can cover with a quarter.

So come on down. I promise you that no one is going to laugh at anything you do; just help you to shoot better. And teach a little bit of your Heritage that you may not have ever heard before. (I won't be at Harvard, I'm sorry to say - but not too sorry. I'll be at the club in Proctor, VT. But I know that LT, Lupis42 and the rest of the crew will take good care of the line!)

If you have a rifle, any rifle, with iron sights (preferably ones that can be adjusted by clicks), bring it. If not, bring the scoped 10/22. Make sure you keep the handouts and read them... and if you DO get an iron sighted rifle later, go practice with it. I tried shooting with my Tech-Sighted 10/22 and just couldn't get on target... going to a scope helped a LOT. Some of have eyes that need a bit of help, that's all.

Scope is not a problem. While the curriculum is designed with iron sights in mind, you can adapt it for a scope very easily. Many people with weaker eyesight, or who just prefer optics will use scoped rifles.

Registered. Bringing the scope and iron sights. Maybe I'll enjoy the best of both worlds.

Registered. Bringing the scope and iron sights. Maybe I'll enjoy the best of both worlds.

I ordered the tech sights (TSR100 version) for my 10/22 and assuming they get here in time I'll have them mounted and sighted in by Friday. I'm going to pull the scope off for the weekend and put it back on later (or not, depending on how I like the iron sights). Also bringing a centerfire rifle with irons just in case, not sure which one yet though. I'm thinking .223 with a float tube because of the sling, and probably a chrome-lined barrel because of the round count. Should be fun and I'm sure I'll learn a lot. April 19 seems like the perfect day for it. I think I'll throw my Brown Bess in the trunk just for completeness.

can you get tech sights for a bull barrel?

They slot into the dovetail in the factory barrel. A good gunsmith could likely cut a dovetail into your bull barrel and fit them, but I don't know that you'd want to do that to a nice barrel unless you planned on keeping it that way. Might be easier to just pick up a second 10/22.

Or if you still have the original factory barrel and stock, you could swap those back in for the weekend. I ordered direct from Tech Sights this morning and got the shipping notice within a few hours.

the instructor came into the shop a few days ago and i picked his brain a bit regarding what you need to bring. there is a link that gets sent out to everyone who buys a ticket, it brings you to an extensive list that is full of stuff you want to bring (folding chair, sunscreen, etc etc)

i had him go over the list and tell me what you absolutely must bring with you(in red), what you really should(in green) and what might be a good idea (in black):
  • a desire to learn and improve! a teachable attitude!
  • eye & ear protection
  • shooting mat (you will be prone for a good chunk of time, the ground may be wet, uncomfortable, etc)
  • weather appropriate hat (for shielding eyes, and protecting from sunburn)
  • gallon of water (gotta stay hydrated!)
  • light, high-protein lunch. (we'll be learning as we eat, and then afterwards we will be shooting again, so dont stuff yourself to the point where you're all lethargic.)
  • rifle! 22LR is recommended, with spare magazines
  • at least 300 rounds of ammunition for your rifle
  • weather appropriate clothing
  • boots (not sandals or sneakers, think foot protection)
  • folding chair (we're going to be sitting a lot, if you dont have a chair you're gonna be sittin on the ground)
  • GI style sling
  • staple gun & staples
  • sunscreen
  • aspirin or ibuprofen (we're not as young as we used to be!)
  • note-taking supplies (notebook, pencils/pens)
  • bug spray
  • wet wipes
  • sighting device on rifle, & adjustment tool (and know how to use the tool)
  • trailmix or high protein snacks (think nuts, jerky, etc)
  • gun cleaning supplies (boresnake etc)
  • trash bag for covering your rifle (block out sand, rain, snow)
  • tarp for under shooting mat (catches spent casings, speeds up cleanup)
  • elbow pads

Back
Top Bottom