• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Appleseed April 19th Harvard MA

My nephew Hunter and I had a great time. I've been to plenty of Apppeseed's and really hadn't planed to go to this one. At the last minute, my sister-in-law asked when the next Appleseed was. I've been offering for years to take all their kids but never really got a straight answer. I was flabbergasted when she asked this time. My nephew has been in Sea Cadets for a few years now and I guess he was the only one in his group that didn't pass the Marksmanship portion. He stared out a little discouraged but by the end of the day he was really liking it. He wants to come back to Harvard in the fall with my daughter, her husband and myself.

Thanks to all the Red & Orange hats that volunteer their time. Special thanks to Matt (lupis42), Andrea, Henry and Jeremy for making my nephew feel special. Jeremy spent the entire 2nd half of the day with him and it definitely made the difference, I can't thank you enough.

As expected, I had a great time as well - beautiful day and lots of great people.

Had a great time yesterday. Thanks to everyone involved for a safe and educational day of slinging lead and reminding us of our heritage. The only bad part is getting all of the sand out of the trigger group, sights, and mags.

I feel that the desert tan patch pays proper respect to all the sand I had to get out of the receiver and trigger group.

CDcUYFA.jpg

After I put the trigger group back together I decided to watch a reassembly video for good measure before I buttoned everything up... I almost got it right! [laugh]

it was a paracord sling that was a little too round and not quite adjustable enough.. i need to get myself a flat web sling! one of the instructors was nice enough to loan me his, so i was OK for the rest of the day, but the first couple AQTs were pretty much sling-less since the one i had kept sliding down to my elbow

I recommend ordering a sling through the Appleseed store. I ordered one through Amazon first, the clasp on the sling was so loose that it wouldn't actually hold the webbing/sling in position - so the whole thing was worthless. While I'm sure you can find a decent one on Amazon, if you go through the Appleseed store I think you can be confident you will get an acceptable sling, plus you'll be supporting Project Appleseed.

http://store.rwvaappleseed.com/page13.html

Also, thanks for the shirt! I will definitely need to check out the shop some time!

As expected, I had a great time as well - beautiful day and lots of great people.

I feel that the desert tan patch pays proper respect to all the sand I had to get out of the receiver and trigger group.

After I put the trigger group back together I decided to watch a reassembly video for good measure before I buttoned everything up... I almost got it right! [laugh]

Another "advantage" of Appleseed is that the shooter gets to REALLY know his or her rifle. First because of the number of rounds fired. Second, because that rifle needs
a good and thorough cleaning..disassemble..clean..lube..reassemble..function check..disassemble..reassemble..function check..and repeat as needed until its done correctly..

I had another great time at this Appleseed. Didn't shoot as well as I hoped but still learned a lot.

Did anyone get the contact information for the photographer that was there the first half of the day? I thought LT Dan said that photos would be made available on her website.

Did anyone get the contact information for the photographer that was there the first half of the day? I thought LT Dan said that photos would be made available on her website.
doctorbossman, thanks for the sling swivel--it would have been miserable without it!

I too am interested in the location of these photos.

Back
Top Bottom