• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Appleseed April 19th Harvard MA

Thinking about bringing my Garand to try and qualify Rifleman, but have a question about the AQT course of fire.
If I remember correctly position changes need to be done with the mag out and each position is 10 rounds (20 prone). What's the best way to do this with an 8-round clip? I have one 2-round clip. Will I need more 2-rounders?

Thanks for sending this out. I didn't receive an email upon registration. Should I have?

the instructor sent out an email a couple days ago with some info and the link, i can PM it to you if you'd like. it would have been sent to the email address you supplied when you signed up

Thinking about bringing my Garand to try and qualify Rifleman, but have a question about the AQT course of fire.
If I remember correctly position changes need to be done with the mag out and each position is 10 rounds (20 prone). What's the best way to do this with an 8-round clip? I have one 2-round clip. Will I need more 2-rounders?

asking him now, will edit this post when he gets back to me

EDIT! ok he says this:
"I would hold off on the garand because we are going to be trying to move the schedule along, but if you bring it I would bring 4 of the 2 round clips if possible. You can also cris-cross 2 rounds in the regular clip, its a little trick that will get you by in a pinch.
It is hard to run the garand on our "rapid fire" AQT. It is a little easier when we shoot stage by stage, but we won't have a ton of time for stage by stage AQTs
But the garlands are so cool and we love to see em on the line"

Last edited:
the instructor sent out an email a couple days ago with some info and the link, i can PM it to you if you'd like. it would have been sent to the email address you supplied when you signed up

Love it if you could. I signed up since then.

Do we know how many people are going to be in attendance? The eventbrite system indicates 48 spots available.

Love it if you could. I signed up since then.

Do we know how many people are going to be in attendance? The eventbrite system indicates 48 spots available.

i was the first to sign up, and there were 70 tickets available at that time, so 20something, maybe more if a bunch of folks design to sign up thisweek

You can ask an instructor to re-prep your 2 round clip for you (if we can catch it after it is ejected, borrow one (I will try to bring mine), or use the crossed-cartridge trick or the empty enbloc clip trick (http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=101629). You can also single-load. This should be eminently doable, since the AQT was designed around the M1!

Rapid-fire is tougher, since you must transition with an empty rifle. Still, 3 clips in prone (eject 4), 1 clip plus 2 singles in sitting and standing should be possible.

The M1 will be great for the Patriots Day Memorial Volley, please consider bringing it.

Thanks guys for the tips. I'll try to practice the crossed-cartridge trick.
I also have a one 5-round clip. Maybe two 8-round and the 5-round clip for prone (eject one unfired). Then one 8-round and one 2-round (or cross-cartridge) sitting. Then two 8-rounders to finish standing (ejecting unfired).

I watched one lady's point of impact walk up the berm... and up... and up... and screamed "CEASE FIRE!" as I realized ahe was going to keep shooting OVER the berm! Turned out that her scope was walking off it's mount with each shot so she kept elevating her rifle to keep on target.

Important lesson learned: Loctite everything!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

shooting someone else's target is even more embarrassing.....Not the I'd know that from personal experience [rolleyes]

Yet you'd be hard pressed to find someone that has not done it at least once..

I had a "High Master" cross-fire on my target at a high-power match once... 5 shots that cut out my X-ring.. and 10 shots
that ..umm..didn't.. was pretty easy to tell which shots were mine.. he was a bit red-faced.. High Master with 5 missess...

A very good story with multiple morals.

Important Lesson #2: Trust your Natural Point Of Aim!

I watched one lady's point of impact walk up the berm... and up... and up... and screamed "CEASE FIRE!" as I realized ahe was going to keep shooting OVER the berm! Turned out that her scope was walking off it's mount with each shot so she kept elevating her rifle to keep on target.

Important lesson learned: Loctite everything!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Here's my important lesson from Appleseed: if you're shooting a 10/22, be sure to tighten (or blue loctite) the take down screw at the beginning of the day. Nothing worse than your groups going to hell after lunch and spending all afternoon trying to figure out why, only to realize as you're packing up that your receiver has come loose from the stock.

Well, one of my engineers just wrecked his car and dumped his weekend-scheduled upgrades into my lap. I will not be in Harvard unless some other miracle happens. [sad]

Kiddos will not be pleased.....
Wifey probably won't be, either. [sad]

Yet you'd be hard pressed to find someone that has not done it at least once.
Well, don't look at me - 'cause I've sure done it, too.

Here's my important lesson from Appleseed: if you're shooting a 10/22, be sure to tighten (or blue loctite) the take down screw at the beginning of the day.

Even better - BEFORE the Appleseed, take the screw out, put it in a soft-jawed vise and file about a 1/16" off of the end. The screws tend to be a bit long and hit the underside of the barrel... and the vibrations from each shot are what makes it loosen up. THEN Loctite it, anyway. I prefer blue Loctite - holds but not permanently.

I will be there.

I will bring my M1 Garand as well for the Patriots Day Memorial Volley. I don't have anywhere near enough 30-06 ammo to use the M1 for the event, so the 10-22 gets that job.

Just a few days left until the Project Appleseed rifle clinic,
and the cutoff for buying tickets online is early tomorrow morning!
Don't miss out on this!

Adult tickets are $40, Youth tickets are $15, and military & law enforcement are fre
e with ID.
To learn more about Project Appleseed, go to www.appleseedinfo.org,
and to sign up for the clinic go to http://www.eventbrite.com/e/harvard-ma-appleseed-april-19-2014-one-day-event-tickets-10525390727

fusy3c.jpg

I'll be there. Going to try this with my 10/22 TD - just got done installing the sling swivel studs in the cheap synthetic stock and it looks like they are holding in place solidly enough.

Last edited:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/35390-The-Liberty-Training-Rifle

and

http://appleseedinfo.org/as_prepare.html

A well adjusted sling (Instructors will show you how to adjust it) will help you hold the rifle steadily. It *is* possible to shoot well without a sling, but since Appleseed demonstrates "unaided" positions (no shooting benches, no rests, no bipods, etc), every bit helps.

Some rifles cannot be used with a sling (lever action? break action? I'm sure there others), but a sling, when used correctly, will noticeably improve your scores in all three shooting positions.

Why is everyone installing slings? Did I miss a memo somewhere?

Why is everyone installing slings? Did I miss a memo somewhere?

I have heard (someone verify this for me) that there are some very creative Appleseed instructors who can work miracles with zipper ties and tape to install a workable sling if you need it.

I can tell you that I find shooting with a sling to be more accurate that using sandbags.

If you are doing it right with a sling, you can get on target, take your hand off the rifle entirely, chamber a round, put your hand back on the stock and not move off target.

Back
Top Bottom