Apparent suicide, Haverhill MA gun club

It's sad that someone would feel that desperate. The people left behind will always wonder if they could have altered this tragic outcome in some way. Some may even blame themselves for this. My condolences to family and friends.

Bad new for all involved. My uncle recently committed suicide and we all are left to wonder "why". The answer may never be known- probably true in this gun club death too.
I believe the legislature will try use this tragedy to make more laws to protect us from ourselves. Don't they already have a law on the books that says suicide is illegal?
-Feel bad for his family. They are the real losers here.

I feel for the guy's family, too.

I've lost two friends over the years to suicide. One was a buddy from high school and the other was a relative of my wife's. In the case of my wife's relative, it was a complete shock, and we still don't know why to this day.

The ideal scenario is that we catch folks who are struggling with depression and hopelessness and try to get them help.

Sounds like a case of not enough information either way. For all we know he could have been looking down the barrel to see if it was loaded. It wouldn't be the first time. We may never really know.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Hopefully this won't drive rule changes and restrictions that screw everyone else.

Definitely not good for the press it will get.

Sounds like a case of not enough information either way. For all we know he could have been looking down the barrel to see if it was loaded. It wouldn't be the first time. We may never really know.

True. Not enough facts known to draw a conclusion.
It could have been an A/D caused by dropping a loaded pistol on the cement floor.
However, I'm hoping that's NOT the case because it only bolsters the AG's "handgun compliance testing" BS.

If it is deemed a suicide, this is not unprecedented.
Last year a woman in Florida killed herself and her son at a gun club range.
Also, didn't this happen twice at the old gun shop/range in Arlington?

True. Not enough facts known to draw a conclusion.
It could have been an A/D caused by dropping a loaded pistol on the cement floor.
However, I'm hoping that's NOT the case because it only bolsters the AG's "handgun compliance testing" BS.

If it is deemed a suicide, this is not unprecedented.
Last year a woman in Florida killed herself and her son at a gun club range.
Also, didn't this happen twice at the old gun shop/range in Arlington?

But that range in FL rents guns.

Pity the guy who found him.

- The police have a corpus delecti to deal with
- There is only one living person known to be with the c.d. before the police arrived
- Police are trained to treat every accidental death with suspicion

Like it or not, this person may, at some point, find himself a suspect in a shooting investigation.

- There is only one living person known to be with the c.d. before the police arrived

Like it or not, this person may, at some point, find himself a suspect in a shooting investigation.

My club has video cameras at strategic places, with the indoor range being one of them. This is a good example of how they can be beneficial. The recordings would clearly show the incident.

Some information on the person has been released:
club member
Brian Burgess, 38, of 440 North Ave

RIP Brian

with this person finding this guy on the ground, the M.E. can determine how long he was deceased, and with a man who found the guy, a alibi like is wife seeing him leave in the morning will rule this guy out soon.

In the case of the man found dead at the gun club, Thompson said investigators identified him as club member Brian Burgess, 38, of 440 North Ave. He was found by a club member who had arrived to open the private club yesterday morning, police said.

"I can only say that foul play is not suspected at this point," Thompson said.

R.I.P. Mr. Burgess, may you find peace on the other side.

Another body found in city, kicks off second investigation
Man dead at shooting range; Police identify body of woman

By Mike LaBella
[email protected]

HAVERHILL — Police are investigating the second unusual death in Haverhill in as many days.

About 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, police were called to the Haverhill Hound Rod & Gun Club, where a member discovered a man's body on the concrete floor of a pistol range. It appeared the man died of a gunshot wound, Deputy police Chief Donald Thompson said.

He said no foul play is suspected, but an autopsy is being performed.

Nearly 24 hours earlier, two men carried a young woman's body into the emergency room of Merrimack Valley Hospital and quickly left without giving an explanation or identifying her, police said. Officers said there was no driver's license or other identification on the body.

Police said they have since identified the woman as Justine Kleiner, 19, of Manchester, N.H. Thompson said an autopsy and toxicology tests have been performed, but police are releasing no other information, including the names of the men and whether criminal charges are a possibility. He said the investigation continues and called the death "suspicious.''

Police said they tracked down the men after they left the body at the hospital, and officers have talked to them. Police said the woman had Plaistow connections. They said relatives identified her body in Boston, where it was taken for testing by the state medical examiner.

In the case of the man found dead at the gun club, Thompson said investigators identified him as club member Brian Burgess, 38, of 440 North Ave. He was found by a club member who had arrived to open the private club yesterday morning, police said.

"I can only say that foul play is not suspected at this point," Thompson said.

Last night, a woman identified as Sandra Burgess was being interviewed by police at the 440 North Ave. apartment. An Eagle-Tribune reporter who knocked on the door there was told she could not answer questions from the newspaper at that time.

Yesterday, the rod and gun club's Internet site — www.hhrg.org — carried a note saying the club would be closed temporarily.

The man who found the body, who asked not to be identified, told The Eagle-Tribune he went to the club, located on Chadwick Pond Road in Bradford, for target practice and saw the victim lying face up on the floor of the pistol range building. He said a semi-automatic pistol was on the floor next to the body. Police were contacted at 7:24 a.m.

Thompson said he would not comment about what police Capt. Alan Ratte and Det. Glenn Fogarty found at the club when they arrived. Thompson said they investigating the death with the help of state police officers assigned to Essex County District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett's office.

The Haverhill Hound Rod & Gun Club is popular with sportsmen throughout the area. The club holds an annual ice-fishing derby on adjacent Chadwick Pond, has hosted state sponsored hunter education courses along with shooting clinics sponsored by the National Rifle Association, and holds various scheduled shooting events, including skeet and trap competitions.

Thompson said that over the years several law enforcement agencies, including Haverhill police, have used the ranges there for firearms training.

In the case involving the woman's body, Thompson said Kleiner's family has been notified but he would not say who identified the body. Haverhill detectives are investigating with the assistance of state police assigned to the District Attorney's office.

Thompson said it is too early in the investigation to say if any charges will be brought against the two men who left the body at the hospital then fled. He said police were called to the hospital at 7:55 a.m. on Wednesday after the body was dropped off.

Yesterday, Thompson said detectives and state police have been in contact with Plaistow police, but he would not provide additional information.​

Sad,but to me someone shooting themselves at a gun range is not any more dramatic than someone killing themselves in a motor vehicle on the highway.Accidents and suicides happen daily.Life can be fragile.

Sad,but to me someone shooting themselves at a gun range is not any more dramatic than someone killing themselves in a motor vehicle on the highway.

Seen any grandstanding politicos, bureaucrats or lobby groups demanding action to prevent "auto violence" after a car accident?

THAT'S the difference.

This is disturbing they would link those two "bodies" to each other in a news article, though they never say their is a link, they sure as hell imply it with the title...

This is disturbing they would link those two "bodies" to each other in a news article, though they never say their is a link, they sure as hell imply it with the title...

2 "unusual" deaths in Haverhill is the connection I assumed when I read it... I will try to be less objective next time. [wink]

There are many towns for which this would indeed be unusual, even if unrelated for a 2 day stretch.

If it was a suicide and the guy shot himself at home, would we need new regulations to prevent suicides at home? If he drove his car into a bridge abutment, would we need to ban those too?

If it was a suicide and the guy shot himself at home, would we need new regulations to prevent suicides at home? If he drove his car into a bridge abutment, would we need to ban those too?
It seems with something as sensitive as this that effects so many people, we need a licensing process. Perhaps the Chief of Police of your town knows something about the people in that town that the criminal records don't indicate. He could determine your suitability for suicide - perhaps even so detailed as offering certain restrictions to the license to make your suicide safer for the community. Obviously, he will need broad discretionary powers in this licensing scheme.

Back
Top Bottom