Apparent suicide, Haverhill MA gun club

appraiser

NES Member
HAVERHILL — Police are investigating a possible suicide at the Haverhill Hound Rod and Gun Club, 51 Chadwick Road.

A club member discovered the body and called police. The incident was reported at 7:24 a.m.

Haverhill Police detectives and officers are at the scene right now.

The man who found the body, who asked not to be identified, told The Eagle-Tribune he went to the club for target practice this morning and saw the victim laying face up on the concrete floor of the pistol range building. A semi-automatic pistol was on the floor next to the body. He said the man appeared to be in his late 20s or early 30s, but he was not sure

That is sad. Sucks for the range and club members too. My condolences to the deceased's family.

That is not good. Why do people decide to go to a range to kill themselves? Why not do it in a parking lot somewhere?

I feel bad for the poor guy that found him.

Selfishness, lack of respect and no thought about the poor sap that find them. They don't think about the media, or legal ramifications for pulling a stunt like that at a range. They don't think about the emotional damage they inflict on the poor range member that is just going to the range to probably blow off some steam and get a little enjoyment out of their lives.

If it was indeed a suicide.

Death at a gun club.

Rosenthal and the Brady Bunch couldn't script it better, short of more casualties.

Possible suicide. It still "may" be an accident.

Either way, it's bad for gun owners. Look for the idiots in the state house to propose new regulations to 'prevent' accidents/suicides at gun clubs.

I feel bad for the guy's family if he has any. I hope he wasn't someone from here.

If I ever decide that this cruel world is too much for me to take I promise that I'll do it at an anti rally by intentionally choking to death trying to swallow a trigger lock.

Selfishness, lack of respect and no thought about the poor sap that find them. They don't think about the media, or legal ramifications for pulling a stunt like that at a range. They don't think about the emotional damage they inflict on the poor range member that is just going to the range to probably blow off some steam and get a little enjoyment out of their lives.

Once a person decides to make a decision like that, the last thing on their mind (besides a bullet) is how it will reflect upon the shooting community.

That is not good. Why do people decide to go to a range to kill themselves? Why not do it in a parking lot somewhere?

Just thinking out loud. If the world is closing in on you, if the pressures are too much to live with, why not go to a place that brings you inner peace and happiness.

The club can be a safe haven, a place where the pressures of your life can disappear. Many clubs are surrounded by trees and wildlife. It is a place where you enjoy your hobby, and have a social connection with friends. To me a club is more than a place to shoot. It is a place of beauty and serenity.

I'm no expert at all, but I wonder if that was just a place he felt most at peace.

Very sad indeed.

Rich

Just thinking out loud. If the world is closing in on you, if the pressures are too much to live with, why not go to a place that brings you inner peace and happiness.

The club can be a safe haven, a place where the pressures of your life can disappear. Many clubs are surrounded by trees and wildlife. It is a place where you enjoy your hobby, and have a social connection with friends. To me a club is more than a place to shoot. It is a place of beauty and serenity.

I'm no expert at all, but I wonder if that was just a place he felt most at peace.

Very sad indeed.

Rich

It's also so someone WILL find them. A lot of people who commit suicide live alone, have few friends and they want to ensure they are found.

It's also so someone WILL find them. A lot of people who commit suicide live alone, have few friends and they want to ensure they are found.
Yeah, I think Terra has hit on the most likely explanation...

a. You can have a gun there
b. You can likely predict times when you can be alone
BUT
c. You will be found...

Hard to ascribe too much rational thought to someone who would do this, but...

Sad regardless. To the Brady bunchers - you vultures should no more use this against gun owners than we hold against free speech rights all the venomous, libelous, vile crap you guys spew all the time...

Well, until this is ruled a suicide, it's a bit early to pass judgement on this guy...Could have very well been an ND for all we know... Either way, my condolences go out to those who cared about him....His pain is over - theirs is only beginning...

Very sad indeed.

Rich

It was more of a rhetorical question.

I recently lost a good friend to suicide, his mother found him hanging from the rafters. I understand that if someone is going to end their life, the last thing on their mind is how it will effect anyone.

It was more of a rhetorical question.

I recently lost a good friend to suicide, his mother found him hanging from the rafters. I understand that if someone is going to end their life, the last thing on their mind is how it will effect anyone.

Sorry to hear about that Tim, Unfortunately the suicide is sometimes the means to punish all the friends and family members who the person perceives is responsible for their unhappiness. At least that was my unhappy experience.

Stand by for a new regulation that'll prohibit handling of loaded firearms at the shooting range unless accompanied by a LEO.

EOPS tried something similar to that last summer. The limitation was any event open to the general public.

Like competitions and training classes.

Sorry to hear about that Tim, Unfortunately the suicide is sometimes the means to punish all the friends and family members who the person perceives is responsible for their unhappiness. At least that was my unhappy experience.

In my situation, there is still no answers as to why he did it. It's not likely that anyone will ever know. All I do know is that he was a good friend, a good soldier and he will be missed. RIP Sean.

Somebody who is willing to stick a pistol against their head and pull the trigger isn't probably devoting mental energy to thinking thru the minute details of their demise.

The choice of going to the range could have simply been because that was the only place he could think of where he could pull out a gun and there probably would not be anybody else around to stop him. Maybe he he had to throw a few rounds downrange before he could work up the will to put the muzzle in his mouth, maybe it was an accident. You don't know.

Better he do it at a gun range than in the middle of crowded supermarket where kids are running around - because then we would be hearing about how ALL gun owners will have to go thru suicide evaluation to make sure we don't threaten the children when we off ourselves.

Simple fact of the matter is that people commit suicide. You're never going to stop it - and it will never go away. If you are worried about legislators making more laws to try and prevent un-preventable actions the correct response is not to worry about things that can't be prevented - but rather to tell the people who think that un-preventable actions CAN be prevented - to STFU and leave the rest of us who don't want to off ourselves alone.

EOPS tried something similar to that last summer. The limitation was any event open to the general public.

Like competitions and training classes.
Worse than that - "non-member" - you couldn't bring family to the range if they weren't a member without a CLEO signed off plan, PD detail, etc...

Even worse - DPS has been telling people that certain portions of those proposals that were never adopted are in effect (specifically the MG portions).

As a member of the club I am very saddened by this news. I don't know any of the details myself but I wish to express my condolences to any friends and family that may have been left behind.

I suppose it could have been worse. Imagine if he did it on a sidewalk near a school, or in a shopping center parking lot, where children could witness it? That was always my worry; what if something like that happened at the club that I belong to? Would there be a hue and cry to shut down the club? As others have posted, not good. The anti-gun types will use this guy's example to denigrate all of us licensed, law-abiding gun owners.

Back
Top Bottom