• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone Know Where to Get Primers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can’t find primers might as well tell stupid kid story’. My buddy Bruce and I are being dumb ass kids around in my basement. Looking for something to do I open a drawer and pull out a metal toolbox. In it is my old mans gun cleaning kit and a handful of .38 rounds . Now comes the ingenious idea to yank the lead bullets out to see what’s inside. We put the cartridge in a small bench vise and manage with a pair of needle nose vise grips to unseat one. Feeling like we conquered nuclear physics we do 3 or 4 more . So Bruce decided it’s time to see if we can light this powder in a small pile with a stick match. Yup it lights!!!!!! I look at him and he had no eyebrows left and his face is singed a might. Needless to say my father was none to happy with either of us .
I have one of those.

As kids we would sneak into the town dump and throw things in the fire they'd leave burning over night. One time my younger brother found some clips of 30-06 blanks. I thought a firecracker looked to be the same size as the opening of the shell. Well I'll be damned it fit perfect. And for some reason it made the firecracker a lot louder. It was the 4th of July and everyone was lighting firecrackers at the town ballpark and getting yelled at for " scaring the horses" my brother was lighting one on the softball mound inside a 30-06 blank. I was walking over to him when he lit it and it went off. Some lady starting yelling at him and I said " oh you're in trouble now" He said " no I'm not" and ran home through the woods. Well she wasn't going to yell at him for scaring the horses. A chunk of the case ripped through her arm.

She knew who he was and the cops just came and yelled at him for it. We never did it again and he got rid of the rest of the blanks. Maybe 10 years ago I wrapped up a clip of blanks and a pack of fire crackers and gave them to him for Christmas. He laughed.

Can I use 9mm bullets for .38spl and .357mag? All three are the same diameter, right? But not sure about length.

Go ahead and run them. I've used the little 95gr. FMJ, 124gr HSTs, etc., in .38 Special with no issues. In fact, recovered bullets from my revolver measured about .352", so the .355" diameters do just fine.
The 95gr bullets will knock pepper-poppers down, unless you hit at the base or hinge area.
Back when these bullets were widely available for 6¢ or less, they made great range fodder.
Your results may vary, but in a pinch, you will likely not notice any difference.
Of course, if you can drop a .355"/.356" diameter bullet down your barrel and it drops through freely without binding, I'd say stick with .358" or greater!

Attachments

• .38eco-load2.jpg
    .38eco-load2.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Can I use 9mm bullets for .38spl and .357mag? All three are the same diameter, right? But not sure about length.
Build a snow pile and shoot into it with all of your firearms. Come spring, pick up all of the unmolested bullets off the ground and mic them to see your barrel dimensions.

Attachments

• P1010033.JPG
    P1010033.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 5
I guess I have to stop being productive and just sit by the computer more often 😂

?? Timing is everything. I spent the day at the range, missed the morning primer drop, but managed to get the afternoon powder drop.

TBH, there is a ton of stuff dropping so shipments are flowing, they just don’t last long bc people are afraid and trying to stock up for four years.

I don’t think any of us are “sitting by the computer” at 10 & 5 on weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom