• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone know of any dealers carrying or has a RIA 1911 I can check out?

I really want to look it over before committing to buy. Am still looking for a quality, but low cost 1911. Would prefer the Rock Island Armory to the Auto-Ordnance (of which I can find, but still don't trust).

I did pick up a Colt recently, but that's too nice of a gun to beat up. Norincos would be OK also if anyone knows of a place that still has a used one priced reasonably.

I've seen his ads for some time and at one point I was thinking about a low cost basic 1911 which of course means an Auto Ordnance or RIA- both of which are comparably priced.

I've seen the AO at Four Seasons before though I don't know if they carry them regularly. I've not yet seen a RIA in a retail store in MA but I did see one at the Big E show last spring. There is another Big E show coming up in a few weeks if I remember correctly...do you have any reason to think one is better than the other? I've read positive and negative reports on both but in the end they just say "you get what you pay for" which is what I expect. I don't mind a super basic no frills firearm but I don't want a poorly made fragile gun that breaks easily...

I've been researching both for a while now. The RIA's seem to have a really large following over at the 1911Forum messageboard and feedback here seem to be very positive as well. The AO's on the otherhand, seem to be a mixed bag with the newer Kahr-built models and just flat out awful with the older West Hurley ones. Having been the unfortunate owner of an AMT Hardballer once, I would like to avoid that mistake again. I wouldn't mind having a Norinco either. These seem to have an almost cult-like following these days and was one of the few "cheap" 1911s that Wilson Combat was willing to work with during the day before the import ban.

The Rock Islands you see on GB (Mass compliant) are a little more expensive than in free states. I'd add a couple hundred more and get a nice used SW1991.
If you could pay what the RI is really worth about $350, it wouldn't be a bad deal.

Back
Top Bottom