1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

anyone kicked out of family over guns and trump

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nordic alien, Jul 2, 2019.

1. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

I'm fortunate that my whole family, my three sons, their wives and my four grandkids are all into the shooting sports and hunting. Other than that, I have no real friends because the ones I used to have went liberal over the years and I have no use for them. With my family and NES, what more do I need? Jack.

M60, drgelinas, teaser452 and 4 others like this.

2. Dench

Dench

Thats an entirely separate issue. That's just an a**h***, and those are on both sides of the aisle.

3. AHM

AHM NES Member

(Condolences, but...)

Can't decide whether the proper soundtrack to that is
    Jimi Hendrix singing, "have you ever been found 'suitable'?",
    or Arlo Guthrie relating an induction center guy asking him if he's "suitable"?

4. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

You're doing things right then...
    [rofl2]

Of course, I'm NOT on fecebook so... ;)

I've given up caring about that for them. They didn't push back on what I had said, so don't get upset over them. IF they really wanted to go, we would have worked something out. Basically, I didn't want them to just burn through ammo I bought and either not replace it or pay me to replace it. The previous times, with my nephew, I ate the ammo cost. He's working now (they both are) so there's no excuse for them to NOT replace ammo. If they can't figure out where to get the correct stuff (they didn't even ask) then I won't shed any tears (or fvcks) over it.

wahsben and AHM like this.
  5. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

IMO it's kind of core to this thread. My gut instinct says that if the OPs moonbat kids/relatives whatever had established some kind of "detente" that it would have not ever gone this far. Someone obviously didn't, and 8 out of 10 times its a moonbat that goes full retard and cuts someone out of their life because of political BS. This started happening when Shrub Jr. was elected but now with Trump it has
    gone full retard. It's apparently OK now to be "triggered" at all times by political BS and base all interpersonal relationships with people based on politics.

-Mike

TLB, mibro and namedpipes like this.
  6. Glockster30

Glockster30 NES Member

There's no question that Trump is a far different animal than an "R, D, conservative, or liberal." After all, although he thought about it for a long time, he never was a politician and he has supported both of the major parties throughout his life. WRT using sex as one of the criteria for supporting a politician, a person with this viewpoint would have to be pretty much apolitical since both of the major parties have had their share of womanizers. JFK, LBJ, and WJC immediately come to mind as all were huge womanizers. I suspect your wife also wouldn't approve of Biden that supposedly swim's/swam nude in front of female agents at the vice president's residence in DC and at his own home.

Once you look past the sex issue though, I think that you'd have to admit that Trump's values wrt America are pretty much in line with your own values. He is rude and crude at times, but I look at what he has done for the country, in addition to him staying away from political correctness, which is a refreshing change for a politician. I've had enough of supposed politicians that wet their finger and point it in the air to see which way the political wind is blowing.

I also suspect that your laudatory effort to "save NH" is much easier with Trump, than say HRC, at the helm.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    Jason Flare and drgelinas like this.
  7. AHM

AHM NES Member

Regrettably, all it takes is someone with the vision and discipline to lay down a "no politics" rule,
    and most "mixed" families could get along fine.

Example: Even though freemasons get accused of running a secret religion
    that pulls the strings on all the conspiracies in the solar system,
    "religion" and "politics" are ostensibly defined as the two Third Rail Topics
    during formal lodge functions.
    Everyone supposedly is told to keep their opinions to themselves from Day One,
    and it is claimed to work out just peachy.

Not every person in every family could live with a rule like that -
    even for one Thanksgiving dinner per year.
    But some families do, and many could cope with it if the idea spread.

I'm sure that flavor of rancor has ebbed and flowed during the nation's history,
    but that matches my memory of recent events

drgrant likes this.
  8. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

I think it was a year (maybe more) ago when I made sure my sister (and all) got the word that I wouldn't sit there while they ranted over political BS. If they want to rant, gnash their teeth, rip their clothes, etc. they can do it when I'm NOT there visiting. Even though I'm about 20 minutes away from their house, I make sure to only visit as much as necessary (holidays mostly).

I don't think my sister is comfortable coming over to MY place though. Since on any given day, there's at least a 50% chance someone will be at Pelham Fish and Game and you'll hear them having a good day. I love listening to the range music (I don't get to go nearly as much as I would like for various reasons).

To be clear, I've not been "kicked out" nor will I probably ever be. While they rant and rave, I just sit there quietly. Well, except for the time they went way too far and I [basically] told them to STFU (at the dinner table). Maybe that's when they really stopped spewing that crap... hmmmmmm.

andrew1220 and wahsben like this.
  9. crazymjb

crazymjb

My family has for the most part always had a blood is thicker than water policy. I've been unfriended by some on facebook but they still are just as friendly at family events. I think they just don't like being called on their BS. And most who know my posts here know I am pretty centrist, but most of my family is hardcore lefties so therefore I am some sort of conservative caricature (as is my brother). My parents are pretty much your typical suburban liberals, they still like and have dinner with their Trump supporting friends. That said, they aren't thrilled with the direction their party has taken much the same way as many on the right aren't big Trump fans.

Ditching friends and family over politics is dumb. It's almost like ditching them over sports teams.

AaronT, drgrant, Picton and 1 other person like this.
  10. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Of course the happy fun ball part becomes when its more than "just politics" and things turn into "outcomes". I think most of these
    conflicts are manifested at a far level weaker than that. It's not like most people are actually faced with things like: "I don't visit my brother on Christmastime anymore because he said he'd have no problem with the government using deadly force to take my guns away".

Most people however, get embroiled in political conflicts over meaningless crap. Like some broad will be going "how could you support a president that said he would grab women by the pussy?" (or insert other meaningless drivel here). Like seriously who the f*** cares? that's like talking about the kardashians at dinnertime. Worse, actually.

-Mike

andrew1220, Coyote33 and crazymjb like this.
  11. fshalor

fshalor NES Member

Faceplant is for planting face.

AHM likes this.
  12. crazymjb

crazymjb

Sure... but what really roils people up? Most family conversations aren't so nuanced. I have a couple family members who like to start various arguments. Some things are simple: Agree to disagree... but usually if they REALLY want to talk policy, and it's always hot-button policy, they don't even know enough about the issue to make it worth the time.

andrew1220, kalash, AHM and 1 other person like this.
  13. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    It's welcome to THEM. Since it's important to them it has to be important to YOU. If it's not, it just shows that you need more "[re]education."

14. AaronT

AaronT NES Member

I read this and thought, "Are you my neighbor?" But I checked, and my neighbor's WIFI network is "Trump2020." I've wondered if they chose it to piss off a family member. I'm not sure which neighbor it is though, and I'm not going to ask...

15. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

We need an update on this!

Jason Flare likes this.
  16. Sauer Grapes

Sauer Grapes NES Member

I use Trump2020 for my network

AaronT likes this.
  17. Coyote33

Coyote33

Update: No mention of the wifi. I was pretty busy on the grill for the first 1/3 of the party. Did some swimming and drinking later. No big deals happened. I did get some lectures on how I should get an electric car and solar panels, what with all the "incentives" and "subsidies" from everywhere. For that matter, it is an interesting argument, but I don't want to be put in the position of needing power when out and about.

Jktu-B and namedpipes like this.
  18. AHM

AHM NES Member

Leave No Teat Unsuckled Dept.​

Have any jurisdictions yet stumbled upon the scheme
    of generously taxing complementary charging stations?
    You know, for the children(*)?
    (*) Of hack pols,
    but let that go.

19. Picton

Picton NES Member

They’re not really complimentary. Most are for-profit. The “free” ones are provided by business groups, who pay for the juice but probably do get tax credits.

After passing on the extra cost to everyone who shops there, no doubt.

The free ones are few and far between.

AHM likes this.
  20. AHM

AHM NES Member

Them's the ones.

Picton likes this.
  21. Picton

Picton NES Member

Fair enough, but it's a tiny number. It's probably dwarfed by the revenue the state gives up in tax breaks for EV owners, solar panel installations, etc.

AHM likes this.
  22. AHM

AHM NES Member

Right.
    Imagine if some city hooked in to that...

23. Picton

Picton NES Member

Like, if the city itself set up charging stations?

slipknot and AHM like this.
  24. AHM

AHM NES Member

No: shopping mall gets tax breaks from state/feds; city taxes mall.
    (The mall can afford it - they're subsidized!)

Picton likes this.
  25. Coyote33

Coyote33

My brother said West Boylston Light Department provided the free electric charging station at the house for the new Chevy Bolt (or is it Volt?). No charge for fueling your vehicle is not a bad deal; plus, after incentives, it was about a $35,000 car for around $15,000, according to him.

AHM likes this.
  26. tuna

tuna NES Member

Life’s too short to spend it with people you don’t like.
    I have very few friends. All veterans. All think like me. I’m happy.
    I don’t need intellectual stimulation all the freaking time. I don’t need to debate useless points for no reason.
    I’d rather debate things that matter, like: .45 or 9mm, ice or water in the whisky, temperature of beer (I prefer warm), flies to use at certain times of the year, etc.

27. buckfarack

buckfarack NES Member

My ex loved Dubya but has now turned very lib, she loves Tulsi Gabbard in the Dem field (we were married during Dubya admin). Interestingly, she and I can have decent political conversations. In the end she understands that what is good for me (and my business) is good for her and our kids and while we couldn't make it as husband and wife she respects where I'm coming from. She just hates Trump, and I get that. I'm support most of what he's trying to do but he definitely annoys me quite a bit too.

AaronT and nordic alien like this.
  28. AaronT

AaronT NES Member

If you live in Paxton near Anna Maria, we should go shooting some time. If you are my neighbor, PM me!

29. gerrycaruso

gerrycaruso NES Member

No one has been kicked out of the family yet but my sister has 2 daughters who don't speak to each other because one likes guns and Trump and the other doesn't. On a brighter note, my nephew just asked when he and his sons could come shooting with me..

andrew1220 and nordic alien like this.
  30. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

For anyone who has said that all the "grab 'em" talk was just locker room talk and bragging... I've had some long and meaningful and painful discussions with a loved one who has been literally grabbed, and much worse.

I never excused that nonsense. Having spent a lot of time in athletic and Army locker rooms and group showers and such, I never talked that way, and the few who did were not appreciated, much less celebrated for it.

M1911 likes this.