1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

anyone kicked out of family over guns and trump

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nordic alien, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Rockrivr1

Rockrivr1 NES Member

I'm in the same boat. We're spending three days with friends over the 4th of July. My friend is a rabid liberal and can get vocal. Last time he went off the rails I told him we were done talking about politics and that we will have to agree to disagree. I think he got the message, so I'm hoping he remembers that. He's also turned somewhat liberal when it comes to guns as well, which I find interesting as we took our gun safety class together many years ago. Liberal and semi anti gun. Not sure what we'll be talking about......

2. jpk

jpk

My loony leftist sibling and a couple other equally retarded TDS sufferers stopped raising the issue of politics, gunz or any number of other subjects after I proverbially fact slapped the cabal and proceeded to laugh like a hyena in their faces when they had no response to an endless litany of facts/evidence to obliterate their arguments.

A couple other middle of road family members proceeded to ask me if xyz was true and I sent them evidence to support my position/refute the che guevera wing of the family......they've since moved more solidly into the NOT leftist/dem camp

EDIT: I'm not suggesting anyone use the above approach......ymmv......in my case the che guevera wing had bullied most other family members into timidity/borderline shame

Argueing them into silence with facts shut them down and helped to embolden (for lack of better word) the silent majority of the family.

Please understand that this is the strategy the left seeks to use to win the next election......bully/shame/batter the silent civil majority into doubting themselves/their beliefs

I think there's truth in the old adage.....hang together or hand separately............look at the violence that the left continues to support/condone.......real actual violence against people that they disagree with.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    H-minus likes this.
  3. wilson911

wilson911

I avoid my family for normal reasons: they are alcoholic and abusive.

Call me old fashioned.

4. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

IMO comparing this venue of discussion to a family gathering? Two different planets. Let's put it this way, every thanksgiving and christmas most of my family gets
    together in some form or another. Most are conservative but there's a few liberals sprinkled in. Pretty much nobody talks about political BS. Nobody is going to attack them for being liberal, etc. It basically takes a special kind of a**h*** to goad someone into a political BS during a family event.

-Mike

buckfarack and greencobra like this.
  5. new guy

new guy NES Member

Passionate political conversations are best avoided at all costs. Not worth the stress, or the lost respect.

buckfarack likes this.
  6. jpk

jpk

You assume that leftist family member actually respect you......that may or may not be accurate

ridleyman and MachineHead like this.
  7. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

my one remaining relative and several non-gun friends all ride on the left side of the bus. we just don't talk politics. it's simple to me. we're all over 60 and know it's useless to get worked up over this shit at our age. some of you might not understand this but we value our friendships. for a few hours a month when i see them, i can certainly find other things to talk about besides trump and 2a. i'd be a pretty boring person if i couldn't.

8. jpk

jpk

That is in part because most of your family is conservative

Invert the equasion and your family may better represent my own where the che guevera wing regularly brings up politics even though the rest of us try to avoid it........when the leftists refuse to avoid the subject the gloves come off and civility goes out the window and there are a lot of hurt feelings/bruised leftist egos

9. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

yep, couldn't agree more!

10. new guy

new guy NES Member

Exactly. My family (parents and brothers) tend to fall more or less on the same range of the political spectrum but my youngest brother married a Bernie Sanders liberal. She's cool. She knows she's outnumbered and never talks politics, but my father knows her views and is constantly trying to (semi-subtly) goad her into an argument at gatherings. She doesn't bite, and one of the rest of the us has to work to change the topic every time. That makes her the bigger person and my dad the a**h***.

drgrant likes this.
  11. new guy

new guy NES Member

I was thinking that the lost respect thing can go either or both ways.

12. jpk

jpk

In my case respect for the che guevera wing of the family was lost many many many years ago.....not just by me but other family members who have more or less written several of them off but still attempt to maintain appearances/be civil by inviting them (while hoping they will choose not to show)......

I'm long past caring whether any leftist respects me because their actions/vote to support tyrants already says all

John4166 likes this.
  13. namedpipes

namedpipes

Three of my sibs have TDS and won't talk to me. Oh, and a nephew.

Dennis in MA likes this.
  14. new guy

new guy NES Member

I get it, and I agree, but sometimes it's just easier to try to pretend the political BS isn't there in order to abide their presence in your life. Family should be bigger than politics. $0.02

Picton and jpk like this.
  15. rogues

rogues NES Member

My wife has 8 aunts on her mother's side. A couple of them are ridiculous anti's. Fortunately the ones that are anti are incredibly stupid. One of them bitched to another about me on FB, calling me a "gun-nut", a-hole, and a few other choice words. Being stupid, she didn't realize that she wasn't sending it through direct message, but posting it publicly so that my wife and I could see it. My wife called her on it. The aunt only apologized about saying it publicly, not the actual sentiment.

The great part of it is that I'm now able to skip a vast majority of the family functions that I didn't want to go to anyways and it turns into more range time!

ridleyman, Jason Flare and PaulR like this.
  16. mibro

mibro NES Member

You're talking about your own children here, right?

I'm sorry you're in this situation. I'm shocked how much more polarized the USA has become since I swam the river fell out of the wheel well in 1983.

This is where it ends.

Pavlik Morozov.

wiryone1 and AHM like this.
  17. edmorseiii

edmorseiii Navy Veteran NES Member

Kicked out of my family because of my politics and ideals? No, because I wasn't raised by fgts.

drgrant and nordic alien like this.
  18. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Damn I wish I grew up in a family like this. I've worked my ass off so my kids grow up in a family like that. But the last thing I want to do is to hang out with people who have repeatedly made it clear that they probably just don't like me for my entire life. Oh, and they're all about 12 years old when it comes to having big-people's conversations about WTF is going on. I just shut my mouth. I could vent and truly break my mother's heart. And what would that get? I've been the one to carry everything for my entire life. I can carry this too.

And to NA's point - Is there a place in the US where conservatives wander around and piss and moan to anyone with a pulse about Obama and talk about how stupid liberals are?? Or do they act like civilized humans. Because it seems that an awful lot of time, I end up smiling-and-nodding to people that think listening to their TDS was part of my Todo List today.

yanquidog and mibro like this.
  19. jpk

jpk

I agree but sometimes you just cant ignore the retards waving sharp objects/throwing lit matches at a can of gasoline on the back porch

nordic alien likes this.
  20. AHM

AHM NES Member

Pro-tip: some (some) folks may get real help from this:
    [​IMG]
    Good when one doesn't realize how toxic some relationships actually are,
    or when one can't extricate themselves healthily without pointless cruelty.

So far for me it mainly confirmed that
    my having Nope Badgered a couple of unreasonable demands
    really was the right move.
    But if faced with something truly broken someday, it'll help bigly.

(The book also covers the flip side:
    how not to be a few kinds of <bleep>holes.
    I'm not tossing that stone -
    just making a full disclosure).

Just borrow it from the public library; I did.
    Trust me, they all have copies.

wiryone1 and Jason Flare like this.
  21. TomMontana

TomMontana NES Member

I would suggest doing your best to reconcile with your family. Whether you are right or wrong, it doesn't matter now. You've become that weird insufferable uncle. Don't be that guy. It's okay to abstain from talking about guns and Trump with them. Arguing to the point where family relationships breakdown is not healthy. My neighbors don't have a relationship with their grandchildren because their daughter in law asked them not to smoke while they visit. That's it. They took offense and didn't want someone "telling them what they can and cannot do in their own home". So stubborn. Best of of luck to you.

22. VetteGirlMA

VetteGirlMA NES Member

Ahh social media the largest pile of steaming guano in the bat cave. For me it's simple if I see something I don't like I mark it as 'see less of this' etc etc. If people want to argue on social media I put them on ignore for 30 days until it blows over. Arguing with family members on Facebook, instagaram, twitter etc proves nothing and only puts one in the grave that much faster.

TLB, timbo, djbradles and 3 others like this.
  23. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

My ex's family was mostly left leaning, but not douchey, and her dad was the only one that tried to goad me into anything, but in all honesty he was never really
    a dick about it. Then again most of these people on her side of the family tended to be kinda diverse, I pegged more of them as blue-dog types than
    outright commies so I think that had a lot to do with it.

I think some of it is about the measure of the individual. Since more moonbats tend to be defective at life or insecure, these insecurities get manifested into
    political identity. They glom onto that identity because they have so little belief in themselves that the political stuff becomes a dummy load. They use it to make
    themselves seem important to others, that kind of thing. I think it's a crutch vs an inferiority complex.

-Mike

Energizer, mibro, Jason Flare and 2 others like this.
  24. sieveboy

sieveboy NES Member

just like the Exorcist...

it’s brought us together

25. jpk

jpk

Add to the equasion the fact that the che guevera gonads were all teachers or worked for some similar entitled/protected class of employment that actually never accomplished anything you get a better picture of the agitators in my own family

Once the gloves come off its hilarious to point out to the crying teacher that the reason they are totally ineffective at representing facts is because they never actually have to go toe to toe with anyone over the age of 13.....and that the adults they interact with are nothing more than an echo of their own incomplete/feels based talking points

26. Glockster30

Glockster30 NES Member

I hope your mother is doing as well as she can at her age and being in the hospital.

If you don't mind me asking, I can understand why you "hate" Dems, but why do you "hate" Trump? Hate is a pretty strong word to use.

Jason Flare likes this.
  27. Coda

Coda NES Member

My Mom and Dad have both passed, only family I have left are 2 older siblings (over 70 years old) and an uncle that is 95. I have no children.

Have no contact with my brother and sister. Took care of my Mom for the last 4 years of her life with no help from my siblings. After she passed the estate went in a trust controlled by my older brother and I got screwed. That is why we are estranged not Trump or guns. Although they are both flaming liberals.

My uncle is a WWII vet and hard core gun guy. He is in an assisted living facility now and had to give up his guns. But I make sure his subscription to Firearms News is paid up, he still loves guns. We get along fine although his memory is slipping and he is in northern VT, about a 8 hr round trip for me.

So I use to think it was uncommon to be estranged from your family, but I have learned it is not. They are many reasons this happens besides Trump and guns.

28. rep308

rep308 NES Member

I have no Facebook account and we have a pretty strict no politics talk at family events. We know where each other stands no one is going to move from their position. Blood is blood and more important than petty fights, 95% of the time.

M1911 and nordic alien like this.
  29. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

I have all sorts of family, acquaintances, etc that I have blocked on social media platforms because I am pro life, pro 2A, libertarian leaning conservative who did not vote for Hillary or Gary Johnson in the last presidential election cycle.

Luckily I have very little to do with my siblings... or their children

Luckily my wife's siblings and their children have a conservative lean, including my openly gay niece who has a LTC and like her Aunt ( my wife) is a spot on shooter with every gun she has ever handled.

Jason Flare, Coda and nordic alien like this.
  30. namedpipes

namedpipes

You're assuming he's bringing up the subject. In my case, my sibs are the ones that wouldn't drop it. I'm happy not to talk about politics with them.