anyone kicked out of family over guns and trump

We're going over a friends house for the 4th, who the last two years cornered me an started going off on Trump. Funny thing is this guy WAS a staunch gun owning conservative. Not entirely sure what happened to him besides maybe he finally caved to the ultra-liberal environment he works in.
Not sure how I'm going to handle it when he comes at me this year. Bite my tongue or make a scene, trying to find some middle ground somewhere.
Knowing me, I'll probably make a scene and walk out.

I'm in the same boat. We're spending three days with friends over the 4th of July. My friend is a rabid liberal and can get vocal. Last time he went off the rails I told him we were done talking about politics and that we will have to agree to disagree. I think he got the message, so I'm hoping he remembers that. He's also turned somewhat liberal when it comes to guns as well, which I find interesting as we took our gun safety class together many years ago. Liberal and semi anti gun. Not sure what we'll be talking about......

honestly, there are veins of folks on the right who do the same. a bunch of them live right here on nes. i read it every day.

IMO comparing this venue of discussion to a family gathering? Two different planets. Let's put it this way, every thanksgiving and christmas most of my family gets
together in some form or another. Most are conservative but there's a few liberals sprinkled in. Pretty much nobody talks about political BS. Nobody is going to attack them for being liberal, etc. It basically takes a special kind of a**h*** to goad someone into a political BS during a family event.

-Mike

my one remaining relative and several non-gun friends all ride on the left side of the bus. we just don't talk politics. it's simple to me. we're all over 60 and know it's useless to get worked up over this shit at our age. some of you might not understand this but we value our friendships. for a few hours a month when i see them, i can certainly find other things to talk about besides trump and 2a. i'd be a pretty boring person if i couldn't.

IMO comparing this venue of discussion to a family gathering? Two different planets. Let's put it this way, every thanksgiving and christmas most of my family gets
together in some form or another. Most are conservative but there's a few liberals sprinkled in. Pretty much nobody talks about political BS. Nobody is going to attack them for being liberal, etc. It basically takes a special kind of a**h*** to goad someone into a political BS during a family event.

-Mike

Exactly. My family (parents and brothers) tend to fall more or less on the same range of the political spectrum but my youngest brother married a Bernie Sanders liberal. She's cool. She knows she's outnumbered and never talks politics, but my father knows her views and is constantly trying to (semi-subtly) goad her into an argument at gatherings. She doesn't bite, and one of the rest of the us has to work to change the topic every time. That makes her the bigger person and my dad the a**h***.

In my case respect for the che guevera wing of the family was lost many many many years ago.....not just by me but other family members who have more or less written several of them off but still attempt to maintain appearances/be civil by inviting them (while hoping they will choose not to show)......

I'm long past caring whether any leftist respects me because their actions/vote to support tyrants already says all

I get it, and I agree, but sometimes it's just easier to try to pretend the political BS isn't there in order to abide their presence in your life. Family should be bigger than politics. $0.02

My wife has 8 aunts on her mother's side. A couple of them are ridiculous anti's. Fortunately the ones that are anti are incredibly stupid. One of them bitched to another about me on FB, calling me a "gun-nut", a-hole, and a few other choice words. Being stupid, she didn't realize that she wasn't sending it through direct message, but posting it publicly so that my wife and I could see it. My wife called her on it. The aunt only apologized about saying it publicly, not the actual sentiment.

The great part of it is that I'm now able to skip a vast majority of the family functions that I didn't want to go to anyways and it turns into more range time!

expect for me sending christmas gifts the rest of the family [parents etc] have us blocked; if you don't think like them that's the end period

You're talking about your own children here, right?

I'm sorry you're in this situation. I'm shocked how much more polarized the USA has become since I swam the river fell out of the wheel well in 1983.

This is where it ends.

Pavlik Morozov.

My family is more important to me than my political views. I hate the Democratic leadership and the leftie side of that party (AOC et al). But I also hate Trump. One of my sisters is a Trump supporter. Another of my sisters is very liberal, as is my mother. We just don’t talk much about politics. In fact, I’m about to head to the hospital to sit with my 94-year-old mother.

Presidents come and go. Don’t let politics get between you and your family.

Damn I wish I grew up in a family like this. I've worked my ass off so my kids grow up in a family like that. But the last thing I want to do is to hang out with people who have repeatedly made it clear that they probably just don't like me for my entire life. Oh, and they're all about 12 years old when it comes to having big-people's conversations about WTF is going on. I just shut my mouth. I could vent and truly break my mother's heart. And what would that get? I've been the one to carry everything for my entire life. I can carry this too.

And to NA's point - Is there a place in the US where conservatives wander around and piss and moan to anyone with a pulse about Obama and talk about how stupid liberals are?? Or do they act like civilized humans. Because it seems that an awful lot of time, I end up smiling-and-nodding to people that think listening to their TDS was part of my Todo List today.

Pro-tip: some (some) folks may get real help from this:
41fqZWp2JBL.jpg

Good when one doesn't realize how toxic some relationships actually are,
or when one can't extricate themselves healthily without pointless cruelty.

So far for me it mainly confirmed that
my having Nope Badgered a couple of unreasonable demands
really was the right move.
But if faced with something truly broken someday, it'll help bigly.

(The book also covers the flip side:
how not to be a few kinds of <bleep>holes.
I'm not tossing that stone -
just making a full disclosure).

Just borrow it from the public library; I did.
Trust me, they all have copies.

I would suggest doing your best to reconcile with your family. Whether you are right or wrong, it doesn't matter now. You've become that weird insufferable uncle. Don't be that guy. It's okay to abstain from talking about guns and Trump with them. Arguing to the point where family relationships breakdown is not healthy. My neighbors don't have a relationship with their grandchildren because their daughter in law asked them not to smoke while they visit. That's it. They took offense and didn't want someone "telling them what they can and cannot do in their own home". So stubborn. Best of of luck to you.

Ahh social media the largest pile of steaming guano in the bat cave. For me it's simple if I see something I don't like I mark it as 'see less of this' etc etc. If people want to argue on social media I put them on ignore for 30 days until it blows over. Arguing with family members on Facebook, instagaram, twitter etc proves nothing and only puts one in the grave that much faster.

That is in part because most of your family is conservative

Invert the equation and your family may better represent my own where the che guevera wing regularly brings up politics even though the rest of us try to avoid it........when the leftists refuse to avoid the subject the gloves come off and civility goes out the window and there are a lot of hurt feelings/bruised leftist egos

My ex's family was mostly left leaning, but not douchey, and her dad was the only one that tried to goad me into anything, but in all honesty he was never really
a dick about it. Then again most of these people on her side of the family tended to be kinda diverse, I pegged more of them as blue-dog types than
outright commies so I think that had a lot to do with it.

I think some of it is about the measure of the individual. Since more moonbats tend to be defective at life or insecure, these insecurities get manifested into
political identity. They glom onto that identity because they have so little belief in themselves that the political stuff becomes a dummy load. They use it to make
themselves seem important to others, that kind of thing. I think it's a crutch vs an inferiority complex.

-Mike

My family is more important to me than my political views. I hate the Democratic leadership and the leftie side of that party (AOC et al). But I also hate Trump. One of my sisters is a Trump supporter. Another of my sisters is very liberal, as is my mother. We just don’t talk much about politics. In fact, I’m about to head to the hospital to sit with my 94-year-old mother.

Presidents come and go. Don’t let politics get between you and your family.

I hope your mother is doing as well as she can at her age and being in the hospital.

If you don't mind me asking, I can understand why you "hate" Dems, but why do you "hate" Trump? Hate is a pretty strong word to use.

My Mom and Dad have both passed, only family I have left are 2 older siblings (over 70 years old) and an uncle that is 95. I have no children.

Have no contact with my brother and sister. Took care of my Mom for the last 4 years of her life with no help from my siblings. After she passed the estate went in a trust controlled by my older brother and I got screwed. That is why we are estranged not Trump or guns. Although they are both flaming liberals.

My uncle is a WWII vet and hard core gun guy. He is in an assisted living facility now and had to give up his guns. But I make sure his subscription to Firearms News is paid up, he still loves guns. We get along fine although his memory is slipping and he is in northern VT, about a 8 hr round trip for me.

So I use to think it was uncommon to be estranged from your family, but I have learned it is not. They are many reasons this happens besides Trump and guns.

I have no Facebook account and we have a pretty strict no politics talk at family events. We know where each other stands no one is going to move from their position. Blood is blood and more important than petty fights, 95% of the time.

I have all sorts of family, acquaintances, etc that I have blocked on social media platforms because I am pro life, pro 2A, libertarian leaning conservative who did not vote for Hillary or Gary Johnson in the last presidential election cycle.

Luckily I have very little to do with my siblings... or their children

Luckily my wife's siblings and their children have a conservative lean, including my openly gay niece who has a LTC and like her Aunt ( my wife) is a spot on shooter with every gun she has ever handled.

I would suggest doing your best to reconcile with your family. Whether you are right or wrong, it doesn't matter now. You've become that weird insufferable uncle. Don't be that guy. It's okay to abstain from talking about guns and Trump with them. Arguing to the point where family relationships breakdown is not healthy. My neighbors don't have a relationship with their grandchildren because their daughter in law asked them not to smoke while they visit. That's it. They took offense and didn't want someone "telling them what they can and cannot do in their own home". So stubborn. Best of of luck to you.

You're assuming he's bringing up the subject. In my case, my sibs are the ones that wouldn't drop it. I'm happy not to talk about politics with them.

I weeded moonbats out of my life both family and friends long ago and never looked back.
It's not just politics with them it's a lifestyle.
What's mine is mine and what's yours in mine too.
Me Me Me Mine Mine Mine.
The first to look for help and the last to give it.
It's amazing how much your quality of life goes up not having to deal that crap.

Not me, I have minimal involvement with people and am not on social media (other than gun related forums). My wife was outed by her side when she showed support for Trump a few years ago. They were down right nasty to her. I don't get it, but she still sends them birthday cards, etc. Wait until they find out that I recently got her into shooting. I've been trying to get her to post some of her targets on Fakebook or as I like to call it FLMSbook (effing, Liberal, Moonbat, Snowflake book), but she won't. Her side of the family would go ballistic!

MsHappy plays Bridge.

After the election she knew of one partnership, that was over a decade old, that was abruptly ended. By the Dem, of course.

I'm guessing that if the votes had gone the other way, they'd still be playing together.

In case you don't know, Bridge at that level is a blood sport.....

I some how ended up with an extreme lefty for a brother. I know better than to bring up anything vaguely political with him because I find being yelled/lectured at tiresome and uninteresting.
The last time guns came up it was a spectacular shit show. We were out having drinks with a common friend and we had basically just finished talking about how my great-grandfathers entire family was lost to the Armenian Genocide and then talking about how my mother's aunt would basically "service" soldiers in post-war German refuge camps so that they would leave the other young women alone. Some how the conversation shifted to 2A and the right to self-defense and he started raving about how no one needs guns (weapons of war) and they are irrelevant in our modern society. I started with giving him stats on the fallacies of gun violence but then he started calling me a gun-nut and comparing me to Tom Cruise defending Scientology. -Mind you he is almost yelling now, in a bar. -
I then pointed back to our conversation of just 5 minutes before about how the world was turned upside down for our family (one generation separated) and asked him if he thinks that the world and human nature has changed SO much within 60 years? He kept ranting and I got up, left the table and went home. He called me a couple days later to apologize and suggested that alcohol and politics were a bad combo.

You're assuming he's bringing up the subject. In my case, my sibs are the ones that wouldn't drop it. I'm happy not to talk about politics with them.

It doesn't matter who brings it up. He participated. It's like road rage. Usually requires two willing idiots to take it to the next level. So don't participate when politics are brought up.

Back
Top Bottom