Anyone here into air guns?

EVERYONE needs an airgun. What happens if you catch a live rat, and need to put it down?

EVERYONE needs an airgun. What happens if you catch a live rat, and need to put it down?

Not to mention they are great for playing in the back yard when you can't get to the range (where legal to do so), and they are great for getting new shooters interested no matter the age.

Not to mention they are great for playing in the back yard when you can't get to the range (where legal to do so), and they are great for getting new shooters interested no matter the age.

The reconditioned daisy 853s from the cmp are a great little gun to keep the rust off your marksmanship skills.... I would really suck if it where not for pellet gun shooting.

The 853 is a single pump target rifle. 500fps or so and does well at 10m with wad cutters. I shoot mine out to 50 yards with JSB match pellets. There 115$ from the cmp. You can easily modify the trigger to make it a little better.

So. did you get the Beeman? Curious as to the quality. When I was a kid I used to get all their catalogs and drool over everything until I finally scraped together enough cash to buy an RWS/Diana 45. I still have it as well as a couple of cheap chinese side and under lever spring pistons.

So. did you get the Beeman? Curious as to the quality. When I was a kid I used to get all their catalogs and drool over everything until I finally scraped together enough cash to buy an RWS/Diana 45. I still have it as well as a couple of cheap chinese side and under lever spring pistons.

Lol, forgot that I talked about it on here. Got a "Beeman Gas Ram Dual Caliber Air Rifle" and a "Browning Buck Mark Air Pistol".
The dual caliber rifle is nice, but the .177 barrel and light pellets make a lot of sound and I haven't spent the time to get it zeroed in with any combo but it's fun. As far as I can see the quality is just as good as any entry level .22

The pistol is a blast and quiet as a mouse, but it is what it is, veary underpowered but it's a break action pistol so....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I really should sell my Hammerli 480, I got it in a trade and have no use for it..... test target is one hole.

nice little guns.... is it just a 480 or the 480k?
I had a Prinz back in the late 80s... never really worked right....but was cool looking.

nice little guns.... is it just a 480 or the 480k?
I had a Prinz back in the late 80s... never really worked right....but was cool looking.

480 I believe. Guy was moving to France and I bought a gun from him then he threw in the 480. I should just get an air tank and start shooting it.

Umarex-Octane-22-Cal-2251304-ls.jpg

UMAREX OCTANE .22 CAL

Good Gun for $200 ?

DETAILS

A magnum velocity air rifle at 1250 feet per second with a .22 alloy pellet, the Octane is one of the first two break barrel rifles introduced under the Umarex brand. The Octane incorporates both a gas piston and a noise dampener. This gun is unique in that its gas piston operates in reverse of other gas pistons on the market. Termed the ReAxis Reverse-Axis Gas Piston, it has shown to provide an increase in velocity. Its SilencAir is a non-removable suppressor with five chambers that greatly reduce muzzle noise. The Octane also comes with a 3-9x40 scope, all-weather stock, and adjustable 2-stage trigger.Specs

Product Group: Air Rifles
Brand: Umarex
Caliber: 0.22 (5.5 mm)
Ammo Type: Pellets
FPS w/Alloy Pellet: 1250
FPS w/Lead Pellet: 1050
Barrel Length: 19.5
Total Length (inches): 48.5
Capacity: 1
Action: Break Barrel
Power: Reaxis Gas Piston
Trigger Action: 2-Stage Adjustable Trigger
Trigger Pull (lbs): 3.5
Length of Pull (inches): 14.25
Cocking Effort (lbs): 42

Ok, "pulled the trigger" on this one.

eBay and under $200 delivered.

Plenty of power; Scope. One shot, tho. I'll have to brush up on my shooting.

Last edited:
Just picked up a Gamo Silent Stalker Whisper in .177. Talk about a misnomer.

WOW [shocked]

It is LOUD with the PBA pellets. Sounds like a .22 centerfire when I use it. I am having a hard time sighting it in when I am in the yard because I am worried that neighbors will think that I am shooting a .22. Right now the scope is way off, so I need to get this figured out, but I can tell you that it is SO much more powerful than my old Crossman that needed 10 pumps to get to 900 fps.

WOW [shocked]

It is LOUD with the PBA pellets. Sounds like a .22 centerfire when I use it. I am having a hard time sighting it in when I am in the yard because I am worried that neighbors will think that I am shooting a .22. Right now the scope is way off, so I need to get this figured out, but I can tell you that it is SO much more powerful than my old Crossman that needed 10 pumps to get to 900 fps.

there was a reason to keep the pellets at lower velocity.... for one the noise. the other is pellets dont like the higher velocity and you loose a lot of accuracy. Those PBA are light and move at 1200+ fps they will be loader than one going 900-1000fps. Those light pellets also slow down faster and when they fall into that transonic range they tend to wobble.
try a nice diabolo style pellet in the 7-8 grain range.
you can have scope issues with break barrels as the barrel might not be "square" with the reciver. This is why they mount the iron sights on the barrel forward of the pivot. I gave up on break barrels years ago. The newer "piston" designs are a little easier to shoot than the old springers which needed a light hold

Last edited:
Anyone have cheap suggestions for a kids pellet/BB rifle? My daughter is starting to show interest in this and archery, biggest issue is that she is a peanut.. 4yrs old 36" and around 25lbs..

WOW [shocked]

I have two. The first one I bought I expected it to be relatively quiet. It was not and I cannot shoot PBA pellets for the same reason as you. I don't want a neighbor sending the police. With the PBA you get the sonic crack which I believe will get the police called.
As for the power I shot mine into a pellet trap and it is all dented to hell (the box listed a fps limit which I knew I was exceeding.). You really need a .22 trap.

WOW [shocked]

Keep in mind, for the first 10-20 or so shots, a lot of piston/spring guns could be dieseling the factory oil, giving them a loud bang in addition to the supersonic crack. Even so, a .177 rated at "1300 fps" (probably with Gamo 5.4gr pellets) is going to take a relatively heavy pellet to shoot subsonic.

Lucky you, there are plenty of good .177 heavy pellets out there... go onto pyramidair (dot) com - buy a few types - they do a "buy 3, get 1 free" on pellets. See which your rifle likes best and use the rest for more casual plinking. If that really is a ~19 fpe .177 (!!) then you'll want a pellet from 10-14 grains to keep subsonic (and the heavier end of that will almost certainly be more accurate, to get the pellet into the 750-850fps or so sweet spot most pellets seem to have).

That cleaned up nice! That scope mount sits a lot lower than I thought it would. Looking forward to a range report

finally got the crosman 140 out over this long weekend to sight in the scope and it was running fine at first and then it stopped holding air...not sure what happened there...tried to oil the piston and that didn't help...any advice?...i'm guessing it's something that typically happens with these that i'm not doing

i'm debating on picking up a newer pump rifle if i can't get this one to be reliable...want to shoot not wrench

finally got the crosman 140 out over this long weekend to sight in the scope and it was running fine at first and then it stopped holding air...not sure what happened there...tried to oil the piston and that didn't help...any advice?...i'm guessing it's something that typically happens with these that i'm not doing

i'm debating on picking up a newer pump rifle if i can't get this one to be reliable...want to shoot not wrench
Can you tell where its loosing air?
Theres only. Few places.
Pump head seal, valve body seal, inlet seal and exhaust port seal.
They are not hard to reseal. The "quad seal " is the hardest.

Check ebay and amazon for rebuild kits. Crossman also maintains all of their old documentation on their web site. I have a 1974 ish 760 and a Mark II pistol I need to fix (similar issues) and the kits were readily available on ebay.

All i can think about is the penguin in the desert joke.
At 50.00 for a new ice cream cone, I mean seal kit, I'd go to walmart and get a new Gamo.
$50 for a seal kit with the proper seals is a bargain vs the pos pumpers that are out today. the crosman 140/1400 have to be one of the best built all metal and wood multipumps IMHO they are worth getting fixed. Although get this and it comes with the updated pump head which is such a nice upgrade and makes future pump head seal replacement a snap.
http://www.mac1airgunshop.com/product-p/cr130rk.htm

The only thing close these days are the 392/397 pumpers. Although not as good as they once where as I have resealed 2 that are only 2-3 years old.
the pumpers need to be used or the seals will shrink and dry up. I like mac1s sercret sauce its worth getting a seal kit with the sauce included http://www.mac1airgunshop.com/product-p/cr130rk.htm

ld6cIRE.jpg

Last edited:
Can you tell where its loosing air?
Theres only. Few places.
Pump head seal, valve body seal, inlet seal and exhaust port seal.
They are not hard to reseal. The "quad seal " is the hardest.

Check ebay and amazon for rebuild kits. Crossman also maintains all of their old documentation on their web site. I have a 1974 ish 760 and a Mark II pistol I need to fix (similar issues) and the kits were readily available on ebay.

Thanks guys...No idea where it's losing air but I haven't really messed with it after it stopped working...just put it away...installed a new seal kit may 2016 from eBay (posted earlier in this thread)...I'll have to tear it down and see if I can find the issue

Thanks guys...No idea where it's losing air but I haven't really messed with it after it stopped working...just put it away...installed a new seal kit may 2016 from eBay (posted earlier in this thread)...I'll have to tear it down and see if I can find the issue
letting them sit can be a issue and also if you did not get all the crud out it does not take much for the inlet seal inside the valve not to seal up.

Back
Top Bottom