Anyone here into air guns?

thanks...ahh i see so your receiver and barrel tube are the same diameter, i can't zoom in too well on my work computer cause it blocks photo hosting sites...i will have to measure my barrel with calipers and see if i can get the measurements of the mount from the website...there is no way i'm going to be able to mount it on the receiver anyway with how short it is so it will have to go on the barrel anyway...if it's the right size and i can fit it between the receiver and rear sight or straddle the rear sight i will go for it

i dont know if this guy is still making mounts or not but if you cruise around the crosman forums old and new along with the vintage forum you will find something that will work.
Ballistic Enterprises #1 513 490 0035 "GO BALLISTIC!!!!" BE#1 email
[email protected]
http://www.network54.com/Forum/7957...+for+Benjamin+and+Sheridan+Rifles+and+Pistols...

Nice...will do...thanks...checked my rings and one is high or mid height dovetail...the other set is dovetail see through so I'll probably look into new low rings as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice...will do...thanks...checked my rings and one is high or mid height dovetail...the other set is dovetail see through so I'll probably look into new low rings as well

As you can see from my previous pictures scoping is not easy on some of these old air guns.
If you like air guns and want a easier model to scope look around for a Sears branded 1400.
They have the 3/8 rail machined into the breach. Been thinking of sending mine out to have rail machined into one of my 1400s

I had a little fun today testing a few different rifles and pellets.
The 1400 I just received, 853,880 and Benjamin Discovery 22. All at 50 yards from picnic table from front bags
The 1400 did about good as I thought it would not really a 50 yard gun either is the 853 0r 880 all are beer can accuracy fun with the right pellet. My point of aim was 6 clock hold on the top row except the disco targets.
Didn't have much in 22s to try 17s where JSB
If you can make out my chicken scratch sciOtific testing you can see finding the right pellet is key.
Pellets today: 22cal H&N baracuda 21.1 grains, JSB 14.3 and Crosman premiers
.177 cal JSB pointed 8.2, JSB round nose #2 7.6gn, #3 10.2gn, #4 8.4gn.
Just grabbing them from the tin. For absolute best groups inspecting and sorting your pellets by weight help a lot. On the disco target on the left that low shot is most likely a bad skirt I watch that pellet tumble through the scope.

Not my best shooting but I will take it. With the not so great iron sights and shooting with out my Rx shooting glasses.

Last edited:
Mount and scope came in for the 140...still waiting for the rings to come in...

like the target^^^...maybe I will try something similar I can get junk plotter paper from work and slap it on some cardboard

For those who shoot in the backyard, do you make any effort to hide your activity? ie avoid open space with rifle visible, conceal shooting position/bench so your nosy neighbor can't see or photograph you, minimize the sound with music, etc?

For those who shoot in the backyard, do you make any effort to hide your activity? ie avoid open space with rifle visible, conceal shooting position/bench so your nosy neighbor can't see or photograph you, minimize the sound with music, etc?

live near a highway so the noise isn't an issue (plus the rifle isn't overly loud)...have a 6' fence and 2 neighbors...1 is family...the other i try to no setup anywhere where they can easily see me...i may just make a ghillie suit

Is it legal where you are? If so, be loud and proud.

Kind of a one off on this thread but found no others about vintage air rifles. Does anyone have / or had a vintage Winchester 800x .177 cal. rifle ? Saw one a a yard sale rough for $ 20 . Yeah, I' m kicking myself for not grabbing it! Just wondering if they are rare or any good for fun and or restoring ? . . . And who might do the repair work if I can't DIY it myself ?

Kind of a one off on this thread but found no others about vintage air rifles. Does anyone have / or had a vintage Winchester 800x .177 cal. rifle ? Saw one a a yard sale rough for $ 20 . Yeah, I' m kicking myself for not grabbing it! Just wondering if they are rare or any good for fun and or restoring ? . . . And who might do the repair work if I can't DIY it myself ?
That was a good price, used but functional 800X goes for +$50.

I think they just look old, Daisy made these from 2000-2011. See http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Winchester_800X/297

Been thinking about an air rifle for garden pest control. I know next to nothing about air guns so any kind of help is appreciated. I would like one probably with a scope, capable of 25 yard shots at squirrels, and quiet, very quiet.

I dont think the Win 800x is worth much and not worth fixing if its broken... come across a 333 for short money thats about the best of the winchester branded air rifles.
think vintage as pre 1970s...

Been thinking about an air rifle for garden pest control. I know next to nothing about air guns so any kind of help is appreciated. I would like one probably with a scope, capable of 25 yard shots at squirrels, and quiet, very quiet.

if you want quiet watch your velocities... I prefer 22cal for squirrels you need to decide on a budget. I dont think the Benjamin Discovery 22 call is to loud and it will take out squirrels easily at 25...

My garden patrol rifle though is the 1400 i posted previously although it took some tinkering to scope it and shooting well.

if you want quiet watch your velocities... I prefer 22cal for squirrels you need to decide on a budget. I dont think the Benjamin Discovery 22 call is to loud and it will take out squirrels easily at 25...

My garden patrol rifle though is the 1400 i posted previously although it took some tinkering to scope it and shooting well.

The Discovery in .22 is a great choice for that application. Add the TKO muzzle brake (actually a small suppressor) and it will quiet down some.

You can get powerful break barrels cheap, but they usually are not accurate. The Discovery is a low pressure PCP so you can fill it easily with a hand pump.

Break in takes about 100 pellets before you get the full accuracy (and you should clean the bore before you shoot a new gun). The cheap Crosman hollow points shoot very well (my go-to pellet), as do the JSB Heavy and Predator Polymag.

All will work on squirrels, head or chest.

Last edited:
Amazon currently has a sale on air guns....
ba7ed9584f9c00a977b90575c745b6e8.jpg

The Discovery in .22 is a great choice for that application. Add the TKO muzzle brake (actually a small suppressor) and it will quiet down some.

You can get powerful break barrels cheap, but they usually are not accurate. The Discovery is a low pressure PCP so you can fill it easily with a hand pump.

Break in takes about 100 pellets before you get the full accuracy (and you should clean the bore before you shoot a new gun). The cheap Crosman hollow points shoot very well (my go-to pellet), as do the JSB Heavy and Predator Polymag.

All will work on squirrels, head or chest.

My discovery took a bit of tinkering to get shooting well. As do most entry level guns. I started with a re crown , then scope (Hawke air max map 6 reticle) I,needed to shim my barrel band ( you can find that info on the crosman forum)
That lead into custom stock , trigger job (diy easy) finally some testing on pellets. Crosman premiers do well but not consistent. I can't get poly mags to shoot in my disco. I'm getting 1.5+" @ 25 yards. So far JSB 14.3 with 5.52mm heads.
I also bought a power adjuster and tuned my rifle down from 830fps to 750fps. Velocity is more consistent and shot count is up by 15 shots...
I also like my Sheridan 392 I needed to put the Williams peep sight on it to shoot it well.

- - - Updated - - -

Amazon currently has a sale on air guns....
ba7ed9584f9c00a977b90575c745b6e8.jpg

They won't ship air guns to MA

While .177 can kill a squirrel, a .22 with the same energy will be quieter.

Easy answer is to pick out a rifle in .22 that fits your price range on PyramydAir's website.

If you are in New Hampshire, don't worry about quiet. Heck, if you're not in a compact area, just go with a .22 rimfire instead.

Alot of people are telling you to get a precharged pneumatic gun. While those are great, I wouldn't recommend one for a beginner. A break barrel gun in .22 or .25 with a gas piston (because spring piston guns are noisy and extremely difficult to shoot accurately) or a multi pump pneumatic like an old Sheridan Blue streak in .20 would be your best bet. No extra accessories required. Just the gun and some pellets. Hatsan is offering some really nice break barrels that fit that criteria for short money. Great value too. I'm thinking about getting this http://www.airgundepot.com/hatsan-mod-95-vortex-qe.html

i just ordered 1...3 left...tried to order some pellets from amazon and they won't ship them...this state sucks!...
http://www.amazon.com/B-Square-1790...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

scope rings came in finally...going to order some pellets and pick them up at walmart since i have one close to home...i assume domed are better for plinking for further distances than hollow points?...the hollow points are cheaper...will i really see any difference?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crosman-Premier-Domed-.22-Pellets-500ct/19426363
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crosman-Hollow-Point-.22cal-Pellets-500ct/19866109

Does anyone local (MA or NH) know how to fix an RWS Diana 34?
I have one that still works but it sounds horrible when compressing the spring. I'm not sure if it's a broken spring or something worse. It's twanging and all sorts of stuff.

I have one that still works but it sounds horrible when compressing the spring. I'm not sure if it's a broken spring or something worse. It's twanging and all sorts of stuff.

youtube...figured out how to rebuild the crosman 140 from youtube...poke around and see if there is anything out there before paying someone

youtube...figured out how to rebuild the crosman 140 from youtube...poke around and see if there is anything out there before paying someone

Yea there's all this stuff about having to build your own spring compressor etc.
I'd rather not have to build something to service the rifle 1 time. If that's what it takes...it'll be a while before I get motivated enough to do it.

one thing to consider, shot placement is critical, so a scope actually might be a good investment! you are shooting tiny targets with underpowered pellets.

Last edited:
Yea there's all this stuff about having to build your own spring compressor etc.
I'd rather not have to build something to service the rifle 1 time. If that's what it takes...it'll be a while before I get motivated enough to do it.

I have no experience with RWS springers, sounds like maybe a broken piston spring to me. I have used a longish bar clamp (the kind you use for woodworking) with a piece of dowel or a socket that fit inside the spring tube as an inexpensive impromptu spring compressor on Crosman springers. Replacement springs are usually pretty cheap, might as well replace the piston seal (and clean out the compression chamber) while you are at it. When you get it apart and figure out which part is broken it should be easy to find a replacement. I think Umarex is the parts supplier & service center for RWS in the US.

I would bet the guys at New England Airgun in Hudson MA would be able to point you towards somebody local who repairs RWS, if you don't want to try it yourself. http://www.newenglandairgun.com/

I have a spring compressor and do work on my own springers. I have also replaced springs and know my way around them ok. I am by absolutely no means an airgunsmith but am handy with them. I have an RWS 36, an RWS 350 mag, a Gamo hunter 1250, also a Crosman quest springer. Don't shoot them much anymore so been a while since I messed with them. If your local I can look at your rifle or let you borrow spring compressor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom