• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone here into air guns?

basscatfrank

NES Member
I just bought myself an after Christmas present, a Ruger Yukon air rifle in .177. I figure I can shoot spinners in my yard if I can't get to the range. Anyone here have one of these?

I'm big into airguns. In fact, one of the the most expensive guns I own is a match air pistol. As with anything , there are all kinds of performance and quality levels. Best place to check is over at pyramidair.com It's the best resources for reviews, selection and price. ( There is usually a 10% off coupon floating around the net for these guys.)
No info on the Ruger but I suspect it is another case of a purchased name to brand a mid quality foreign built rifle.)

FWW, you might look at the Benjiman NP trail. Huge bang for the buck in a sporting/ "do all" rifle.

I've had a ruger blackhawk for years now with zero issues, not sure how similar it is to the Yukon. Fun and cheap to pop cans in the backyard.

+1 on the Benjamin np in .22. Powerful and Super quiet. It makes more noise when the pellet hits the target than when you pull the trigger! I think it had about 25ish f.p.e. I'm looking at a umerex octane In .22. From the reviews it seems like a very powerful and quiet air rifle with a better trigger than the benji.

I have a 1967 Sheridan Silver Streak that I purchased from a member on here a few years back. Thing still shoots hard and is more accurate than I am with the right pellets. I use it to shoot spinners and cans in the yard. It is a bit loud though, luckily the neighbors don't seem to mind.
IMAG1367.jpg

This spring I may need to start a war on the squirrels (grey, red, and ground). I was going to do a search for a rifle - but if anyone has a suggestion...

I guess most important is the fact that I shoot long guns Lefty. Are air rifles ambidextrous?

Tony

I have plenty of 22 cal spring piston ones that I don't use anymore, due to modifying them and causing the recoil to be so bad that I can't fire 3 shots with out eating a scope. I could handle it but the scopes not so much, and I don't have they eye site for buck horns anymore. Now I have several 25 cal PCPs "scuba tank" style they are also modified. And basically have the same energy as a 22 rim fire.

Dean

This spring I may need to start a war on the squirrels (grey, red, and ground). I was going to do a search for a rifle - but if anyone has a suggestion...

I guess most important is the fact that I shoot long guns Lefty. Are air rifles ambidextrous?

Tony

Some rifles are more left hand friendly than others.
I have really grown to like my Benjamin Discovery in 22lr it's a High Presure Air or PCP. Air rifle.
I have the 22 cal. It's been great for critters and topped with a Hawke Air max scope it's great out to 50 yards.

There are some great pellet guns these days.

I just picked up a used daisy 853 from the CMP. To keep my skills from getting completely rusty.
I have a soft spot for old multipumps. I like the old crosman 140s and 1400s.

Heres my 1960s crosman 1400 slightly modified and garden control out to 35 yards with out much effort. Not the best trigger but more than good enough.

If I where to buy a new pellet gun today it would be a hard choice.

The ruger Yukon can be turned up like most others.

Last edited:
I just bought myself an after Christmas present, a Ruger Yukon air rifle in .177. I figure I can shoot spinners in my yard if I can't get to the range. Anyone here have one of these?
http://www.archerairguns.com/mobile...r-Ruger-Air-Rifles-p/xmvtunekitforruger1.htm=
Tune up kit for more power and consistent shots

The trigger can be worked with some polishing of the contact points and you could probably get down to 3.5# trigger pull.

Like all inexpensive pellet guns check your screws to make sure they are tight.

Also be warned the trigger group pins on these rifles will fall out if you remove the stock and lean the action to the side.

Also to add the scope mount doesn't offer a scope stop pin so you might see some shifting in the scope mount. I mark mine with a pencil and watch if any movement can,be seen.

The new piston guns are easier to shoot than the old springers but seem to still need a light hold for best accuracy.

Last edited:
I have a couple Gamo whispers one with a scope and one without that rids my yard of tree rats.

a Mauser Spring charged pneumatic.

image_zpszfwvyrpp.jpeg

I also have a couple of target PCP's .

.22 cal

image_zpssmzwh6xp.jpeg

This PCP is a .308. It's way too loud to shoot in my yard. I get about 800 fps out of it and I could hunt deer sized game (if it was legal) out to 100 yards.

IMG_0848_zps158280be.jpg

I keep it simple...sort of.

Benjamin Discovery in .22 with a fixed 4x mil-dot scope and a suppressor. At 25 yards it will hold dime sized groups as many times as you care to pull the trigger (15+ shot groups without leaving a dime size circle).

I have an old Sheridan blue streak .20 cal. Lots of fun and accurate !
Over the years I've focused on .20 caliber and gotten rid of all of my .177 guns, but lately I've started to buy .22 and am strongly considering adding at least one big-bore to my collection.
If you're only going to have one air gun and primarily are after squirrels, I would look for a nitro-piston pellet rifle in .22.
Most single-shot break-barrel rifles are ambidextrous, many bolt-action repeaters are not. Pyramydair often indicates "Ambidextrous" in the item descriptions, but doesn't offer this is a search option.

no complaints with my Benjamin Trail NP2 in .22.. alot of bang for the buck you can actually get a nice upgraded scope package deal on Pyramyd for the same money as most get for the rifle and factory scope.

You can spend a lot of money on air rifles these days. FX, Daystate, Rapid Air Weapons, Weihrauch, Evanix, Air Arms, etc. Pyramyd Air has a good selection. Then there are higher end shops like Airguns of Arizona and Precision Air Guns. Lots of independent small companies making a lot of interesting stuff, including high power big bores, belt fed autos and bull pups. Not your father's daisy or crosman.

You can spend a lot of money on air rifles these days. FX, Daystate, Rapid Air Weapons, Weihrauch, Evanix, Air Arms, etc. Pyramyd Air has a good selection. Then there are higher end shops like Airguns of Arizona and Precision Air Guns. Lots of independent small companies making a lot of interesting stuff, including high power big bores, belt fed autos and bull pups. Not your father's daisy or crosman.

This is so true....

a few beyond paintball 22 cal blue streak and a 50's silver streak the latter is geeing a full wok over now
IZH 46 pictured

There are some great pellet guns these days.

I just picked up a used daisy 853 from the CMP. To keep my skills from getting completely rusty.
I have a soft spot for old multipumps. I like the old crosman 140s and 1400s.

Heres my 1960s crosman 1400 slightly modified and garden control out to 35 yards with out much effort. Not the best trigger but more than good enough.

If I where to buy a new pellet gun today it would be a hard choice.

The ruger Yukon can be turned up like most others.

just picked up a crosman 140 from my grandfather...ordered a new rebuilt piston and a set of seals on ebay...i'm hoping to rebuild it with a few videos on youtube...if anyone has any helpful hints on these i'm all ears

just picked up a crosman 140 from my grandfather...ordered a new rebuilt piston and a set of seals on ebay...i'm hoping to rebuild it with a few videos on youtube...if anyone has any helpful hints on these i'm all ears

there pretty easy .... give me a PM if you need help..... I just snagged another 1400 myself should be here early next week.

the key to these rebuilds is clean, also get some 100% silicone grease and lightly coat all the orings. The air valve can be a bugger to open sometimes....

heck it just might need a squirt of Crosman pellgun oil. I have had a few spring back to life. Problem with many is they where heavily lubed with anything but the correct stuff....

Last edited:
there pretty easy .... give me a PM if you need help..... I just snagged another 1400 myself should be here early next week.

the key to these rebuilds is clean, also get some 100% silicone grease and lightly coat all the orings. The air valve can be a bugger to open sometimes....

heck it just might need a squirt of Crosman pellgun oil. I have had a few spring back to life. Problem with many is they where heavily lubed with anything but the correct stuff....

nice...thanks...will do...i'll try and get some pictures up once i start the rebuild

I have wondered about these as well. I only have 2 acres with neighbors on two sides but with pine trees on the property lines. My neighbors are pretty easy going too. Most of my backyard is dedicated to my two horses but beyond them is an open filed then just woods for a little while. The drunk old lady who owns that field is persnickety and I can't really go back there but there's nothing to worry about hitting.

Obviously I don't want to hit my horses but they are pretty easy to avoid and they aren't too sensitive to noise. I have shot .22s and some larger guns on rare occasion back there and they don't freak out. I do belong to a gun club but getting up there seems difficult lately so having something to plink with on a whim would be cool.

My questions are,

1. Does this sound like a viable place to use an airgun?
2. What is the lower end price for a decent airgun that can maybe take out a squirrel here or there and serve as a good trainer?
3. What about air pistols? Are there any good ones to use as pistol trainers that aren't too expensive?

2. What is the lower end price for a decent airgun that can maybe take out a squirrel here or there and serve as a good trainer?
3. What about air pistols? Are there any good ones to use as pistol trainers that aren't too expensive?

1. Yes, assuming the old lady doesn't pitch a fit if she sees you and there are no legal barriers (town ordinances, distance from road, or whatever)
2. Maybe $130 for a Benjamin Titan GP nitro piston in .22 at the low end of the price range. The .22s mostly shoot subsonic which will help keep the noise level down. For another $100 you could get a Benjamin Trail which will have a weaver rail, better scope, nicer stock.
3. Crosman 2240, about $60, also shoots .22, accurate & fun. They also make air replicas of most handguns, you could buy a copy of what you carry and it will fit your holsters. You could set up IDPA scenarios in your back yard.

I have wondered about these as well. I only have 2 acres with neighbors on two sides but with pine trees on the property lines. My neighbors are pretty easy going too. Most of my backyard is dedicated to my two horses but beyond them is an open filed then just woods for a little while. The drunk old lady who owns that field is persnickety and I can't really go back there but there's nothing to worry about hitting.

Obviously I don't want to hit my horses but they are pretty easy to avoid and they aren't too sensitive to noise. I have shot .22s and some larger guns on rare occasion back there and they don't freak out. I do belong to a gun club but getting up there seems difficult lately so having something to plink with on a whim would be cool.

My questions are,

You should be fine as long as there are no laws. Also I would not shoot on or into neighbors property just to avoid any issues.
If you intend to do pest control I would stick with 22cal at 600fps or more.
Again accuracy is key to good critter control.
As for your price range you might want to consider a multipump air rifle.
The Benjamin 397 are still decent add the Williams peep sight and it's really fun.
With the pumps you will be able to do 3 pumps for plinking and 8 pumps for pest control.
I'm not a fan of break barrels. Especially the less expensive ones.
If I where to buy a Springer or Piston gun again it would be a side or under lever model.
As for pistol....I won't say it's good or not for "training" but it keeps the rust off the fingers and dust out of the eyes.

I have the crosman 357 pellet pistol. It's fun. I set up 6x8" slabs of cardboard usually hung along the heavy tree line and do a "steel" plate type of shoot.
There are many air pistols out now. I have a few crosman classics pump pistols that are not to shabby either for low cost.
Just a tip. If you have a short neck or short distance from cheek to eyeball many air guns scoped will require either a cheekriser or a modified hold. If you like a good solid cheek weld you will need to modify.

Now like you I don't get to the range often so pellet guns are my only shooting/marksmanship outlet.
I finally bought the daisy 853 single pump 10m air rifle from the cmp.
Great little gun for 115$ to your door. This will keep your skills or lack of busy.
The Benjamin Discovery 22cal has been really fun. A bit more than your budget but about the best entry level PCP rifle out there. Mine before mods was about 1- 1.5" groups at 50 yards with a scope. A few DIY mods and some pellet testing got me down under 1". A little bit more.... added a barrel band up front and power adjuster I'm down to 1/2-5/8 groups..... some might think 1" at 50 yards? Take any sub 300$ air rifle and see just how many shots you can actually put inside 1".
If you use NES search there's several good post with out going over to a air gun forum and get to much info at once.

Funny thing too is I have a few older guns I still like shooting.
Daisy 880- make sure it has a rifled barrel.
Crosman 2100
Crosman 1400, Sheridan 397
Although I sold it had a old crosman C02 rifle. Co2 is a pain and sensitive to temp. I have been eyeballing one of these though.http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Sheridan_2260MB_CO2_Rifle/3409
This model has the metal breach. Crosman went to plastic breaches many years ago on many of their models.
They just are not that great and can't handle a scope well IMHO.

Just picked up a Daisy 35 for my daughter's birthday. She's turning 8.

We'll be unwrapping the presents at my anti-gun sister-in-law's house this weekend.[devil]

I've got a big old brass bell I'm going to hang in the back yard for her to plink at.

Back
Top Bottom