Anyone here into air guns?

OK, to many responses to read them all right now but any of you know of a halfway decent break open (or maybe pump) duel caliber rifle? Preferably something quiet enough to not bother neighbors 150ft away...

Thinking around $150 for a father's day gift to myself....

OK, to many responses to read them all right now but any of you know of a halfway decent break open (or maybe pump) duel caliber rifle? Preferably something quiet enough to not bother neighbors 150ft away...

Thinking around $150 for a father's day gift to myself....

A few choices that I would consider for myself. All are 22s because I like the 22cal air rifles and they are good for pest control and tend to be not as load as 177. No particular order.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Sheridan_2260MB_CO2_Rifle/3409/6561 easy to scope

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_392_pump_air_rifle/205/570 decent gun add a Williams rear peep sight that screws right on and you got some fun shooting

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Hatsan_95_Air_Rifle_Combo_Walnut_Stock/2678/5381
Hatsan are not bad for the money. I have been surprised at the triggers on their lower end offerings . Much better than any crosman trigger. The scope is what it is for a sub 50$ scope but not to bad.

OR just go full bore silly

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I have a pair of Daisy 880s for chipmunk and squirrel duty. Reasonably accurate but would like to upgrade.

Cheap ammo, fun to shoot.

The older 880s where actually pretty good. They had a rifled barrel vs the new ones with smooth bores. The triggers really suck on that design though. You can't really squeeze of a nice trigger pull.

This thread got me to take out my Crosman Model 66 I purchased back in the late 80's and shoot up some cans in the yard. Came with a Crosman 4X15 scope and it's pretty accurate.

This thread got me to take out my Crosman Model 66 I purchased back in the late 80's and shoot up some cans in the yard. Came with a Crosman 4X15 scope and it's pretty accurate.

The model 66 great gun back then not so much today. At least the trigger can be smoothed out and power increased plus if you get really crazy you can get a walther barrel .....I know silly right.... but just saying.

The model 66 great gun back then not so much today. At least the trigger can be smoothed out and power increased plus if you get really crazy you can get a walther barrel .....I know silly right.... but just saying.

Thanks for the video link. I had to get a beer and start dancing while watching. I will look into the upgrade and barrel.

Yea it's going to be a little bit of a tight spot loading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You find the right position and with a little practice you just lean the gun muzzle down and drop the pellet in. The pellets are front heavy so they will drop right in.

Thanks for the video link. I had to get a beer and start dancing while watching. I will look into the upgrade and barrel.

I would not waste to much money on the 66.
Unless you have that desire to play with stuff like this. You would be better off buying and tuning up a nice vintage 1400 or 392?
The trigger work is pretty much a polishing job.
Get some nice fine paper or some really fine stones. Polish all the contact points. Including the pivot pins.

Make sure the barrel crown is in good shape....
Few problems with getting more power.....more pumps. I'm not sure how it works but the idea is to have the same volume of air in your valve as the volume of the barrel and all the ports it travels through.
This makes for a very efficient push of the pellet down the barrel.

It's been a long time since the 66 I had. Trigger polish took a good 2# off and the fuel was so much better.
I played with hammer weight a bit buy placing some small lead balls in the back. This also shortens the "spring" some.
Problem with this is the spring wears into the lead and slowly beats the lead ball into dust.
Down side to this is it can put some heavy wear on your valve stem.
It's a balancing act.
The few things I did that seem to help the most is removing any rough edges at the air ports.
Thinking back I could have bought a better rifle but I had lots of fun trying to get that old 66 hitting hard.
No crony back then so 1/4" fiber board was the test. Stock it stuck in. Heavy hammer/spring stuck in deeper. Increased volume of valve took more pumps to get it to stick and a few more to go through.
Accuracy was best at lower fps. Seems anything above 600 out of the 66 didn't fly well.
A good day was dime sized groups at 15 yards.

20160606_193556.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

20160606_193556.jpg
22 cal 50 yards same pellet at 550fps and the flat ones 825fps
Top center is unfired. Shooting at steel spinner.

Any thoughts about the Beeman RS2 Dual-Caliber Air Rifle Combo?
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_RS2_Dual_Caliber_Air_Rifle_Combo/1334/2368

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I don't have much to offer on opinion... I guess not to bad if your just using iron sights but you would be rezeroing the scope each time...or at least learn the different hold point for one or the other....I'm Not a fan of break barrels to begin with. Much rather a under or side lever.

I've been shooting the same Gamo Hunter 440 (.177, ~1000fps) since I was 10 years old. That means it is 28 years old now. I have replaced the piston spring twice and o-rings once.

I kept track from 10 to 20 and I put almost 10,000 rounds through it as I used to buy the 500 pellet tins by the case.

Yesterday I punched a hole through a chipmunk's skull from 25 yards away and it went clear through the fence behind him...using the same old scope thats been on there since I was 10.

I see no reason to ever get anything else. This thing is like a part of my body after spending most of my life shooting it.

Piston still has the power to combust oil if you put a drop down into the chamber.

If it ever truly broke, I would probably buy something dumb, expensive, with nice wood and nearly silent to replace it.

28 years of use and abuse for a sub-$200 air rifle is a pretty damn good track record.

I've been shooting the same Gamo Hunter 440 (.177, ~1000fps) since I was 10 years old. That means it is 28 years old now. I have replaced the piston spring twice and o-rings once.

I kept track from 10 to 20 and I put almost 10,000 rounds through it as I used to buy the 500 pellet tins by the case.

Yesterday I punched a hole through a chipmunk's skull from 25 yards away and it went clear through the fence behind him...using the same old scope thats been on there since I was 10.

I see no reason to ever get anything else. This thing is like a part of my body after spending most of my life shooting it.

Piston still has the power to combust oil if you put a drop down into the chamber.

If it ever truly broke, I would probably buy something dumb, expensive, with nice wood and nearly silent to replace it.

28 years of use and abuse for a sub-$200 air rifle is a pretty damn good track record.

The 440 was a decent unit in its hey day. When Gamo built some decent stuff. You bought a gamo in their peak I feel.
I still have a gamo scope on my 22 rifle I kept after selling of my last break barrel 15 years ago.
I think you would be unhappy with the current sub 200$ gamo now. Friend picked up the fixed barrel whisper and it's not to shabby touch over 300$ comfortable stock.

The 440 was a decent unit in its hey day. When Gamo built some decent stuff. You bought a gamo in their peak I feel.
I still have a gamo scope on my 22 rifle I kept after selling of my last break barrel 15 years ago.
I think you would be unhappy with the current sub 200$ gamo now. Friend picked up the fixed barrel whisper and it's not to shabby touch over 300$ comfortable stock.

That would not surprise me at all. The one I have is very well built with nice, heavy wood and firearms-grade blueing and fit/finish. I'd love to check out those whisper models to see how quiet they really are. Mine still makes a decent noise if/when it combusts any oil in the piston/chamber area.

Flea find , Slavia #622 .22 rifled barrel break barrel. . . . Anyone have one ? Needs lots of stock refinishing and some assorted bolts and sight adjustment screw. Cocks and shoots fine . . Was looking for a Crosman 140 and ran across and old cz beater. . . . I like it.

A few weeks ago I bought a Sig 226 co2 pistol. I set up some steel hanging plates around the yard and shoot from the deck. The weight and blow back of the steel slide make this a nice trainer also. The Trigger is very similar to my Sig and HK. Now I can step on the deck and shoot like Hickok45.

Back
Top Bottom