• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone have a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle?

I bought mine at Nick's Sport Shop in Palmer, $799 (ugh). But they had at least 2 more of them (as of 1/14). Man, $600, that would've been sweet.

Why not the Savage scout rifle? Savage just came out with a 10 round magazine with center feed for 2012 so the price might be reasonable instad of the $100 price tag of some aftermarket magazines

Why not the Savage scout rifle? Savage just came out with a 10 round magazine with center feed for 2012 so the price might be reasonable instad of the $100 price tag of some aftermarket magazines

Interesting, got a link? I hadn't seen a Savage 10 rounder for their scout. Ruger's polymer 10 round magazines are $30/ea at places like Midwayusa.

Both appear to use the newer center feed magazines and are ion .308 it would make sense that they would have compatible magazines but it I would need to verify, I want a 10 rounder for the precision carbine. as for the forward scope mount only the scout model has that.

I was reading reviews about the savage being around 1 moa in accuracy so it would have that over the ruger

Both appear to use the newer center feed magazines and are ion .308 it would make sense that they would have compatible magazines but it I would need to verify, I want a 10 rounder for the precision carbine. as for the forward scope mount only the scout model has that.

I was reading reviews about the savage being around 1 moa in accuracy so it would have that over the ruger

I'm sure the Savage is a fine choice. What sold me on the Ruger instead basically came down to: probably stronger mount for the scope, availability of lightweight and relatively inexpensive polymer magazines, and honestly I like the look of it better. It's a pretty stock.

This has actually got me thinking about buying another 91/30 (nothing extremely collectible) and doing a conversion on it. Actually a 91/59 that was already cut down would be even easier but I haven't seen those around. I just figure since 7.62x54R is relatively cheap it might be a good addition to the collection.

I'll be over here hiding from the milsurp purists...

I have a left handed ruger on hold for me right now..will be my first bolt gun and some of these reactions are making me think twice. I'm picking it up Saturday... I really liked the looks of it, it's in stock and left handed. Think I'm still going to go forward with it, just hope I'm not dissapointed.

I just got a couple of Ruger polymer mags. They are significantly better than the metal magazine that comes with the gun. One thing I can say is that the controlled round feed has some flaws in which the round pops up in front of the extractor and then prevents the bolt from closing. I had the same problem with my winchester M70 and had my smith polished it to the point that I could smack down the bolt and make the extractor snap over the rim of the case. I have not been able to do that with the Ruger, but I have not played around with it beyond polishing the cocking cam. I see this as a serious flaw, especially when I had it happen numerous times with a dummy ctg.

B

Hmmm. In retrospect would you purchase the rifle again? I'm geared up to grab it tomorrow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Ummm, good question. Probably not, it was an impulse buy based on what I read on the web. I have a M98 Scout. It is sexy, but not quite what I wanted. I'll admit that I was a dumbass for buying it, but it is a cool rifle, at least until you handle it for an hour or two. I still have yet to shoot it, but I hate the fact that the bolt catch is sharper than a Ginsu.

B

Thanks for your input. I'll still check it out and see how I like or don't like it tomorrow.

Gents,

So far I have handled and slung a couple of dozen of the Gunsite Scouts by Ruger. Nice guns. Each and every one of them was decently fitted and worked from the box. A couple have had some magazine issues but were fixed with mag replacement/swappage.

NOTE: They all needed a decent cleaning and lube from the factory. If you get one be sure to pop it out of the stock, give it good hit with crab clean/gun scrubber and relube with your favorite oil for some corrosion resistance etc.

Some of you know I make the Ching Sling here in my northern NH shop www.andysleather.com and www.shottist.com I also run the Scout Forum at www.scoutrifle.org (email me direct if you join up, tell me who you are!).

Hope this helps!

Andy

Andy, I have been reading your forum ever since Andy in NH turned me on to it a while back. I just registered with the same user name I use here.

I've had my Ruger GSR out to the range a few times now, and I really like this rifle. Today I was trying to see if there was any discernible difference in accuracy by bullet weight, at least with my current level of skill (read: novice).

Using off the shelf (like, Wally World or Dick's) 150gr or 180gr Remington, Winchester, or Federal I was getting in between 2 and 3 MOA at 100 yards. With Federal I was a little more consistently closer to 2 MOA. Tula 150gr was generally around 3 MOA.

I tried some Federal GMM 168gr SMK's and in a 5 shot group it was approx. 1 MOA at 100 yards (I had one flier that I know I pulled). To me that says if I put my rifle with GMM into the hands of a better shooter it might even be capable of less than 1 MOA?

I was using one of Andy's ching slings. It really helps with stability and it's a bit faster to get into / out of than say a GI web sling.

Other observations.. I was only using two magazines today (both Ruger 10rd polymer) and one of them was giving me a little trouble. I think the follower was binding for some reason. The other magazine worked fine. I'm going to start numbering my magazines and see if I can keep track of what ones are problematic.

Oh, and I quickly gave up on shooting prone today after the flash hider was kicking up dirt and such. Why wouldn't they use something more like an A2 type?

I finally got to shoot mine yesterday. I didn't really get technical with it.. but I had a blast destroying targets

I would also like to add that my Carlson 308 Comp was tested on this rifle by Cory at Gunsite and proved to be very effective. If you are looking for a different muzzle device.

Back
Top Bottom