• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone have a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle?

American Rifleman had a fairly glowing review of it recently... whenever I next find myself looking for a rifle, that one's going to be high on the list.

American Rifleman had a fairly glowing review of it recently...
True, but they often seem to have glowing reviews of most everything these days.

whenever I next find myself looking for a rifle, that one's going to be high on the list.
I'm interested in it as well, but I've got a few things in line ahead of it.

I am interested in it myself. I like the concept of the rifle, I don't know that it is particularly practical for me right now, but what the hell does practicality have to do with buying a gun? [laugh]

Part of me wonders if it will shoot minute of mattress.

I'm sure it will have that legendary Ruger accuracy. [wink]

If I wanted a Jeff Cooper inspired Scout rifle, I might look into one of the Steyr Scouts that were the result of Steyr working with Cooper: http://www.steyrarms.com/products/hunting-rifles/scout/versions/

scout_v1.jpg

That publication jumped the shark about twenty years ago.

B

Pretty much every gun writer jumped the shark about twenty years ago. It's amazing how incredibly corrupt the gun-writing industry has become. Even the really famous ones are corrupt. Even the ones I like personally are corrupt. It's insane.

My friend Kevin here

http://www.gunsumerreports.com/review_ruger_m77-gs_p1.php

has a nice in-depth review/testing.

my five cents: I own one and I'm pretty happy with it so far, but ask me one year from now.... I have been shooting some Federal match grade .308 and ATI 7.62 NATO. I shoot only iron sights for now and I get 4-inch groups ay 100 yd sitting, about 2-inch groups from a sand bag rest. I have the same issue reported by Kevin with the iron sights at 100 yds: it seems to shoot 1-2 inches high in my hands, even with the rear sight all the way down (more of 5 inches in Kevin's review: he sent the rifle to Ruger for a check), but I don't have the windage issue that he reports. I paid it $750 from a dealer in NH.

Overall a nice, robust and compact rifle for brush hunting and perhaps more. Don't need sub-MOA accuracy and the shooter here is probably the liming factor anyway...

Last edited:
I am thinking about getting this rifle. They now have the left handed version, although I don't know when they will be available. For what this costs I'll wait for the left handed version to become available.

Would this even be MA compliant with a flash suppressor?

This is basically a tricked out Ruger Frontier. I personally find it a bit pricey and won't be buying one. I have a Ruger compact in 308. The handload I use shoots 1.25 inch at 100 with 150gr bullets. Nice handy deer rifle for hunting out of state and about 200.00 less than the GSR. I like Ruger rifles and am willing to put in the time to make them shoot. Any compact rifle tend to be a bit more difficult to shoot, however the GSR is not really lightweight and I have not seen any real good write up about their accuracy or velocity loss. If anyone gets one run it thru a test and post it. Even the link in this thread does not discuss the velocity loss, but it is fairly good regarding accuracy.

Last edited:
I looked at one a few weeks ago. Compared to my M77 MKII, the Gunsite Scout felt cheap. Fit & finish, how the rifle felt, mag was sloppy. Just left a bad taste in my mouth after I looked the rifle over. Overpriced for what it is.

Would this even be MA compliant with a flash suppressor?

from my reading of the MGL statute, flash suppressors are only mentioned in relation to "assault weapons", which are always semiautomatic firearms (in the most expansive meaning of the word).

This rifle is a non-large capacity bolt action rifle with a 16.5 inch threaded barrel and two dedicated magazines with either 10 or 5 rounds are available from Ruger. It cannot be classified as "assault weapon" or "large capacity".

any dissenting opinion out there?

To me, it looks like they beat that thing with an ugly stick. But, in typical Ruger fashion that ugly stick was then fashioned into it's stock.

But the 77 series of Rugers are great guns, very smooth and well made. But, I am just not really sure of what they are trying to accomplish with this gun.

A bolt action is generally meant for accuracy. Putting the scope forward takes away from that accuracy (as opposed to conventional higher power scopes) potential.

This sacrifices accuracy for fast target acquisition. So, then this would presumably he primarily a hunting gun?

But then why a detachable 10 round mag? Why a flash hider (instead of compensator)?

If it is a Tactical/ Target/ "sniper" gun, why the forward mount scope?

seanc, read up on the scout rifle concept: http://jeffcoopersscoutrifles.blogspot.com/

It is meant to be a light, handy, reasonably accurate, fast to shoot rifle. It isn't a sniper rifle -- that would be a much heavier gun, with a much higher power scope in the traditional location. Sniper rifles are very accurate and great for long shots, but completely suck at short ranges.

If you want a compensator, then unscrew the flash suppressor and put one on.

If you don't like the 10 round magazine, then use the 5 round one.

You can argue with the utility of Cooper's vision of the scout rifle, but this seems to be a reasonably faithful interpretation.

I really appreciate Ruger cataloging these in left hand, too. Savage custom shop will build a lefty scout still, but there's some definite advantages to the Ruger. Might be the only affordable factory scout right now.

I have held but not shot the ruger scout rifle, and all I can say is "I dont get it" For the price thats required for in my IMHO for what could only be classified as a "novelty" its just not worth it.

obviously this is my opinion and mine alone, so Im not knockin it if you have on or love the idea but 2" moa from a .308 bolt gun @100yds??? Seems like a perfectly good waste of good ammunition to me. c

I just got one today. I already have a M98 Scout.

I don't like the magazine or the bottom plastic. The plastic has the molding lines that did not go through the deburring process. A little sharp, but an exacto took care of some of them. The receiver also has some very sharp edges that would make carrying it problematic. Front sight is kind weird. The post extends beyond the wings. I was like huh, the wings are there to protect the sight. Can't exactly do that if they are lower. The magazine fit sucks ass, and having a ten rounder makes the rifle much more difficult to carry. The 98 by comparison is a dream to carry and load with stripper clips.

The weight and shape of it are nice and I like the adjustable pull and buttpad. It's very soft and should make for some comfortable shooting.

Oh, the trigger sucks.

Other than that I'm excited to give it a try. [thinking] I would have been helpful if Ruger actually hired someone who knew a thing or two about actually using a rifle. I'd take pics but I'm afraid the sharp edges might scratch up the lens of my camera.

Remember the old Steve Martin skit about the Cruel Shoes? Yeah that is my first impression of this rifle.

B

Back
Top Bottom