• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any update on carrying at Cape Cod Canal?

I searched the past posts regarding carrying along the canal. I'm wondering if there have been any rulings or news allowing us to carry here yet, or if it still only applies to Idaho.

Going to try my luck fishing there in the morning. Thanks for any info.

Is there some reason you would not be allowed to carry there? Some law of which I am not aware? If there is no law saying it is not legal, assume its legal.

I'd assume his question has to do with the fact that the canal may be considered a "park" and he's questioning the legality of "carrying in a park"...... I say you need one just for all the fraking tourists though..... only thing I don't miss about Plymouth

The only reason they should find out you have one is if you use it. If you had to use it chances are your alive and it doesn't really matter what the law is.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/33/207.20

Bullfrog hunting?

(10) Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
(i) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, and explosives of any kind is prohibited unless in the possession of a law enforcement officer or Government employee on official duty or used for hunting during the hunting season as permitted under paragraph (q)(6) of this section, or unless written permission has been received from the division engineer.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/33/207.20

Bullfrog hunting?

(10) Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
(i) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, and explosives of any kind is prohibited unless in the possession of a law enforcement officer or Government employee on official duty or used for hunting during the hunting season as permitted under paragraph (q)(6) of this section, or unless written permission has been received from the division engineer.

Snapping turtle season is all year long too.

Funny coming from a guy named prebanman. Is there such a thing as pre/post ban if you are free or do you life with the boot of the man on your throat? Just asking...

Who cares?
Thanks for taking the time to bring absolutely nothing to this conversation.

There are some people who have no idea this is prohibited, like firestorm, so I don't think this is an irrelevant question on a gun forum.

"The only reason they should find out you have one is if you use it. If you had to use it chances are your alive and it doesn't really matter what the law is. "

I agree, unless you are unbelievably unlucky enough to print while being checked for your license or something of the sort by a LEO. Highly unlikely, but possible.

thanks to those who brought something useful to this thread.

Funny coming from a guy named prebanman. Is there such a thing as pre/post ban if you are free or do you life with the boot of the man on your throat? Just asking...

Nice zingah!

I never had a problem carrying on the canal but I never really gave much thought.

"Oppressed is supposed to have 2 Ps in it. Is that useful enough for you? "

Touche.

Any way to remedy my name without deleting and starting over?

So to expand on my admittedly useless response, what I should have said is who cares what the technical, apparently-not-even-determinable legality of carrying there is? It's only an issue if you get busted for it somehow by someone confident enough of the legality to arrest you on it, and that's probably only going to happen if you have to use it. As noted above, in that situation I'd rather be able to defend myself and deal with the legal fight over it later.

MY OPINION AS A NON LAWYER : The US Army Corps of engineers "regulations" say that you cannot carry at the canal. If the "regulation" for no firearms is CLEARLY posted somewhere that I have not seen then I assume that you can be asked to leave the property by a "ranger" if you are found carrying. (Since this is what private property owners are allowed.) You cannot be arrested for carrying at the canal as there i no Massachusetts LAW that prohibits it. I suppose there is a possibility that if you refuse to leave you could be arrested for trespassing however I cannot see how that can happen unless the regulation is clearly posted. (and let's be clear here ... the arrest would have to be made by a Bourne LEO not by a member US Army Corps of Engineers who do not have the power of arrest. )

Why did you put regulation and ranger in quotes?

It is not posted anywhere along the canal , it is in some of their literature and on the web site.
I believe only a park ranger or federal employee can issue a violation for carrying on the canal. I am not certain of this though..the ACOE provides instructions on how to request permission to carry there. And they deny all..

It is not posted anywhere along the canal , it is in some of their literature and on the web site.
I believe only a park ranger or federal employee can issue a violation for carrying on the canal. I am not certain of this though..the ACOE provides instructions on how to request permission to carry there. And they deny all..

Did you request and get denied?

The issue is that some of those "rangers" can be real dicks. When they do press a charge it goes to Federal court I was told by one of them. Even speeding tickets issued in Minuteman. (Concord/Lexington) That could get really troublesome really quick.

MY OPINION AS A NON LAWYER : The US Army Corps of engineers "regulations" say that you cannot carry at the canal. If the "regulation" for no firearms is CLEARLY posted somewhere that I have not seen then I assume that you can be asked to leave the property by a "ranger" if you are found carrying. (Since this is what private property owners are allowed.) You cannot be arrested for carrying at the canal as there i no Massachusetts LAW that prohibits it. I suppose there is a possibility that if you refuse to leave you could be arrested for trespassing however I cannot see how that can happen unless the regulation is clearly posted. (and let's be clear here ... the arrest would have to be made by a Bourne LEO not by a member US Army Corps of Engineers who do not have the power of arrest. )

Oh, I just love free "legal advice." Worth just what we pay for it, no?

And, why would arrest have to made by a Bourne police officer? Even if you are right on that advice, what about the part of the canal in Sandwich?

Thanks

The issue is that some of those "rangers" can be real dicks. When they do press a charge it goes to Federal court I was told by one of them. Even speeding tickets issued in Minuteman. (Concord/Lexington) That could get really troublesome really quick.

There are federal rangers who are armed and have power of arrest. I don't know if there are any such at the canal, but they do exist.

Oh, I just love free "legal advice." Worth just what we pay for it, no?

And, why would arrest have to made by a Bourne police officer? Even if you are right on that advice, what about the part of the canal in Sandwich?

Thanks
sorry forgot about visitor center in Sandwich.... I always think about Scusset Beach which is a MA state park. As far as free legal advice the fact is that Army Corps of Engineer "rangers" do not have arrest authority... That's a fact not a free opinion.. And that was the point of my advice. So if there are "federal Rangers" patrolling the canal arresting people I'd like to know who they are.

BTW... Minuteman in Concord is a United States National Park. The Rangers there are National Park Service Rangers which is a legitimate federal LE organization empowered to enforce the law including arrest powers.

Of course I can't speak for the guys in the black helicopters..... Or do they use drones now?

lol nobody has even quoted the law/crime yet, wheres the teeth in the regulation? until you see that you can't get a real answer on this.

Back
Top Bottom